Houston to the colts

INDIANAPOLIS — The Colts finally made the big splash everybody expected in free agency.

Indianapolis has signed former Chiefs pass rusher Justin Houston, a league source confirmed to IndyStar. ESPN and the NFL Network originally reported the news. The Colts add the premier edge rusher a week after Houston was released by Kansas City due to his contract.

ESPN reported that Houston signed for two years and $24 million.

Houston, 30, has 78.5 sacks in nine years, and he had nine sacks for the Chiefs last season in 12 games.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2019/03/21/indianapolis-colts-land-big-name-free-agent-pass-rusher-justin-houston-2019-free-agency/3237837002/

13 minutes ago, VIChiefsFan said:

hmmm...I think if he would have restructured he could have gotten a more favourable deal from us.  Pride.

I'm not real sure he's worth 12 mil a year.  Colts already have Luck nailed down  and PM2's salary will most likely dwarf his also at the time  the Chiefs were thinking big bucks to Tyreek and Jones.

I wish him luck on that turf.

will we get a comp pick for him?

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm not real sure he's worth 12 mil a year.  Colts already have Luck nailed down  and PM2's salary will most likely dwarf his also at the time  the Chiefs were thinking big bucks to Tyreek and Jones.

I wish him luck on that turf.

will we get a comp pick for him?

I think we released him so no comp pick. 

Being in the Ring of Honor is, well, an honor.  Houston left the Chiefs for money.  Would the Chiefs had kept him if he restructured?  Evidently the subject was broached and he refused.

Houston went for the most money he could make, although he is probably worth, what $50-$75 million?  It is his choice and I don't begrudge him that.  But I don't think he should ever be considered for the Ring of Honor.  That place is for those who sacrificed for the Chiefs, not those get a big contract and try and fulfill it, which he did, nor those who go for whoever has the biggest bucks. 

I know some will disagree with me. I know he played and gave his 100% while he was here.  He also got "paid" tens of millions and left the Chiefs to get "paid" yet once again.  

Oh, and as far as Eric Berry, I hope they name the bench, the one the players sit on during games, after him. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

I'm not real sure he's worth 12 mil a year. 

There is talk of us trading for a guy like Jadeveon Clowney, who is currently on the tag for about $16 million.  That would cost us more money and picks.  They are about equal in sacks, I have no idea how Clowney compares to Houston against the run, but I always thought Houston was good.  I believe Clowney has also had trouble staying healthy.  

We also know what Ford got.

I think the Colts got a bargain at $12 million as long as Houston is healthy for the playoffs.  

16 minutes ago, VIChiefsFan said:

There is talk of us trading for a guy like Jadeveon Clowney, who is currently on the tag for about $16 million.  That would cost us more money and picks.  They are about equal in sacks, I have no idea how Clowney compares to Houston against the run, but I always thought Houston was good.  I believe Clowney has also had trouble staying healthy.  

I think the Colts got a bargain at $12 million as long as Houston is healthy for the playoffs.  

source?

18 minutes ago, VIChiefsFan said:

Clowney, if healthy is younger and fits the 4-3 mild better.

1 hour ago, SarcasticOne said:

Being in the Ring of Honor is, well, an honor.  Houston left the Chiefs for money.  Would the Chiefs had kept him if he restructured?  Evidently the subject was broached and he refused.

Houston went for the most money he could make, although he is probably worth, what $50-$75 million?  It is his choice and I don't begrudge him that.  But I don't think he should ever be considered for the Ring of Honor.  That place is for those who sacrificed for the Chiefs, not those get a big contract and try and fulfill it, which he did, nor those who go for whoever has the biggest bucks. 

I know some will disagree with me. I know he played and gave his 100% while he was here.  He also got "paid" tens of millions and left the Chiefs to get "paid" yet once again.  

Oh, and as far as Eric Berry, I hope they name the bench, the one the players sit on during games, after him. 

I think it works both ways...they offered him the contract they both signed. Then KC wanted to redo it, why is Houston in the wrong for pursuing the best livelihood he can make for the last few years he is able to earn in this game?   

May be be older, but he's still a difference maker and left it all on the field. I will miss him far more than Berry.

1 hour ago, SarcasticOne said:

Tony Gonzalez got in the ROH...

2 hours ago, VIChiefsFan said:

No real credible sources, just people on forums talking.  The point was that I think Houston is still every bit as good a player as Clowney but for quite a bit cheaper.

Not cheaper to KC

18 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

no wonder players like Suh & Berry are still thinking of big money..

Between Houston and Matthews they still have hope

Nobody in their right mind will give Berry a big contract unless its completely incentive laden. And Suh is 35 years old? Isn't Mathews about the same? Justin though is 5 years younger and has played in most games the past few years. He warranted more. 

15 hours ago, VIChiefsFan said:

No real credible sources, just people on forums talking.  The point was that I think Houston is still every bit as good a player as Clowney but for quite a bit cheaper.

Clowney is 5 years younger,  playing at a higher level and trending up, the opposite for Houston

Clowney 9 sacks, 47 tackles, 16 TFL, 21 QB hits  89 PFF grade

Houston 9 sacks, 37 tackles, 8 TFL, 12 QB hits   85 PFF grade

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Clowney is 5 years younger,  playing at a higher level and trending up, the opposite for Houston

Clowney 9 sacks, 47 tackles, 16 TFL, 21 QB hits  89 PFF grade

Houston 9 sacks, 37 tackles, 8 TFL, 12 QB hits   85 PFF grade

Just out of curiosity, what do you think Clowney is worth in today's market? 

1 hour ago, VIChiefsFan said:

Just out of curiosity, what do you think Clowney is worth in today's market? 

Probably looking for a 5 year deal over 90 million and most importantly about 50 million guaranteed. My guess anyway. The way the Chiefs have been hesitant to give anyone a long term deal, that probably means he would be headed to a team like the Jets or Cleveland if the Texans traded him. But I'd bet they could certainly get a first rounder for him too. 

1 minute ago, Mloe68 said:

Probably looking for a 5 year deal over 90 million and most importantly about 50 million guaranteed. My guess anyway. The way the Chiefs have been hesitant to give anyone a long term deal, that probably means he would be headed to a team like the Jets or Cleveland if the Texans traded him. But I'd bet they could certainly get a first rounder for him too. 

To much for a 1sr rounder. Rather let him hit FA next year and see. We have a lot more cap space then too

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

To much for a 1sr rounder. Rather let him hit FA next year and see. We have a lot more cap space then too

Agree. I think its really clear Veach is building for the long term. He wants a young defense built around a few short term free agents to bridge the gap. He's gonna sink or swim largely based on his ability to get players in April. And this will also help nab that finishing piece type of free agent next season or after. 

Archived