Some rumors out there Chiefs trying to trade you know who

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mahomes has also been efficient, using the cues and concepts Reid prefers, and led the league in yards on deep passes. The biggest difference is how often he takes those shots: a league-high 92 this season, compared with 62 for Smith last year.

“Andy Reid ran a different offense with Alex Smith,” Jaworski said. “It was not a down-the-field, challenge-the-defense sort of scheme. We know it was a dink-and-dunk, quick passing scheme. Fewer downfield reads. Not as many challenging throws. But that's what Alex was, and that's OK. 

“But now you’ve got a different kind of guy, with a big arm and the ability to go vertical. So Andy’s got, like, a new toy.”

The biggest benefit that Mahomes provides Reid may be in erasing mistakes. For all of his well-earned reputation as a strong offensive coach, Reid’s teams are prone to slumps.

A familiar pattern developed his first five years with the Chiefs: start fast, fade late.

That was often true in games (big leads becoming close wins or blown opportunities) and in seasons (with the notable exception of 2015 he was never better over the last half of the season than the first).

The most dramatic example of both patterns can be found in the historic playoff collapses in 2013 (up 38-10 in Indianapolis) and 2017 (up 21-3 at home against the Titans).

Mahomes has changed all of that. Remember the Chiefs’ slump last year, so bad that Reid gave up play-calling and some broader game-planning duties? The Chiefs scored a combined 19 points in consecutive games against the Giants and Bills.

They haven’t had any of that in 2018 — they scored at least 26 points every game, the first team in NFL history to do that.

Mahomes isn’t the only reason, but he is the biggest. The rest of the offense is largely the same, except for Kareem Hunt’s release after 11 games and Sammy Watkins’ eight games as the No. 2 receiver.

“Andy Reid doesn’t scheme fourth and 9, scramble out to the right and throw back across the body stuff,” Orlovsky said. “I don’t know if Andy Reid is drastically different. They’ve just got a guy where it doesn’t really matter what the defense does playing quarterback.”

Orlovsky: “If you took out Mahomes put in, say, someone like Matt Ryan or Matthew Stafford or Kirk Cousins — guys anywhere from eight to 12 or 13 in the NFL — they wouldn’t be trending for 5,000 yards and 50 touchdowns. But if you took out Mahomes and put him in New Orleans or Chicago or New England or the Chargers or Rams, he’d be doing what those quarterbacks are doing if not more, at least. That’s the way I look at it.”

That’s all so well said. Reid has made a lot of guys a lot of money, now he has a talent nobody could screw up, and Mahomes would be good anywhere.

7 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

That was the part that I thought he was just funnin with us.  Kind of like sarcasm or hyperbole or something. 

The Alex 4 eva lovers are special.  He must be back because ES likely collectively told him to fuck a lampshade.

He had more favorable reactions during his last active tour of constant shit posting for some ungodly reason.  It does not matter what you say or post, because Alex 4 eva.  No matter what.

2 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

He had more favorable reactions during his last active tour of constant....

Popularity is directly proportional to the degree of agreement met with the opinion expressed, regardless of the merit of said opinion.

I was unpopular for my support of Smith. I will be even more unpopular for my tepid acknowledgment of Mahomes. It's not an uncomfortable position for me. I've been here many times. I'm well-acquainted with the way reality rears its ugly head against those who initially expressed shock at my takes. The reward for having been right is seldom justification for the abuse taken along the way, but my level-headed approach has spared me the unpleasant experience of unrealized expectations.

36 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

That was the part that I thought he was just funnin with us.  Kind of like sarcasm or hyperbole or something. 

I am on record as expressing that drafting Mahomes at the expense of 2017 was a mistake. If you want a short list of things I was right about, refer to my positions against capitulating to the holdouts of Charles, Houston, and Berry. And I was very right about Kaepernick.

This is not sarcasm. Nor is it an attempt to troll. I prefer meaningful dialog. I just don't engage in dialog under unilaterally-imposed terms: I don't allow individual statistical accomplishments void of context to be the sole indicator of a player's value.

7 minutes ago, PhataLerror said:

I am on record as expressing that drafting Mahomes at the expense of 2017 was a mistake.

So you are saying that you were against drafting the league MVP and the first legit franchise qb in 50 years and you are using that as one of the examples of having been right? 

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

So you are saying that you were against drafting the league MVP and the first legit franchise qb in 50 years and you are using that as one of the examples of having been right? 

Alex 

Ever

It was a mistake to not stick with the QB thats career is over.  

Just now, reesebobby said:

Re-read the message I was replying to. You coincidentally asked a question I was already proactively answering. I could still be wrong about Mahomes. That is possible.

Once upon a time, quarterbacks earned the Franchise Quarterback moniker after years of quality play. Apparently the threshold is much lower than it used to be.

Just now, liquidfriend said:

Alex 

Ever

It was a mistake to not stick with the QB thats career is over.  

It's sad that people like you were actually happy when he got injured in the manner that he did, as it nearly guaranteed that you wouldn't ultimately be wrong about his ability to lead a Super Bowl-winning team. It's not as if he hadn't already lost years of his football-playing days to injuries suffered because he was surrounded by incompetence for the greater half of his career.

But schadenfreude aside, you won't have been right about what it takes for the Chiefs to win a Super Bowl if Mahomes doesn't win one.

1 minute ago, PhataLerror said:

It's sad that people like you were actually happy when he got injured in the manner that he did, as it nearly guaranteed that you wouldn't ultimately be wrong about his ability to lead a Super Bowl-winning team. It's not as if he hadn't already lost years of his football-playing days to injuries suffered because he was surrounded by incompetence for the greater half of his career.

But schadenfreude aside, you won't have been right about what it takes for the Chiefs to win a Super Bowl if Mahomes doesn't win one.

I don't know anyone that was happy Alex got hurt.  Only happy that he went away.  But I think it's fair to say that since he was 34 at the time of his injury and had a record of 6-4 at the time, we don't really need further proof about him not having the ability to lead a super bowl winning team.  He proved it over and over. 

5 minutes ago, PhataLerror said:

Alex 

Ever 

ALEX SMITH

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

I don't know anyone that was happy Alex got hurt.  Only happy that he went away.  But I think it's fair to say that since he was 34 at the time of his injury and had a record of 6-4 at the time, we don't really need further proof about him not having the ability to lead a super bowl winning team.  He proved it over and over. 

When Mahomes loses a playoff game his offense scores 44 points in, you'll have room to talk.

Can't help but think there is that one Quinten Daily (RIP) fan still out there somewhere trying to convince people the Bulls would have been better off with him instead of Michael Jordan. This kind of feels like the 2019 version of that 1985 discussion. Jordan could even play a little baseball too.  

4 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Since Alex Smith is so classy, I'm sure he'll give the 71m he didn't earn back to Daniel Snyder.

As long as we don't have to give back the third round pick and Kendall Fuller we fleeced them on. Alex can keep the money. Speaking of which what would the price tag to trade Patrick Mahomes today? Think a team would trade their next four 1st rounders? More? I do. 

21 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

As long as we don't have to give back the third round pick and Kendall Fuller we fleeced them on. Alex can keep the money. Speaking of which what would the price tag to trade Patrick Mahomes today? Think a team would trade their next four 1st rounders? More? I do. 

He effectively is untradeable since KC would not give him up for any price.  Frankly a 23 year old league MVP at the most important position in sports is priceless.  But yeah, at least that would be offered if he was on the market.  With at least half of the league bidding it would get ridiculous fast.

1 hour ago, PhataLerror said:

How many interceptions and lost fumbles, and how many losses?

12 interceptions.  His TD to INT ratio was almost 5:1. 

He had 9 fumbles but half of those came in 2 games against good defenses BUT he still led the team the offense to 30+ & 40+ point outputs. 

The odds of Mahomes being a one year wonder or far less than him being just an average QB. The odds of him being elite are greater than him being average. 

But hey, you want to focus on worse case scenarios you can have fun with that all by yourself.  Meanwhile over here, I'll be living this shit up and enjoying PM balling out.

1 minute ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

12 interceptions.  His TD to INT ratio was almost 5:1. 

He had 9 fumbles but half of those came in 2 games against good defenses BUT he still led the team the offense to 30+ & 40+ point outputs. 

The odds of Mahomes being a one year wonder or far less than him being just an average QB. The odds of him being elite are greater than him being average. 

But hey, you want to focus on worse case scenarios you can have fun with that all by yourself.  Meanwhile over here, I'll be living this shit up and enjoying PM balling out.

No, you missed my point. I could have looked up his stats for 2018.

I was asking what the ceiling would be on turnovers and losses for me to evaluate whether 49 passing touchdowns and 4,900 passing yards would legitimately be described as "regression".

Just now, PhataLerror said:

No, you missed my point. I could have looked up his stats for 2018.

I was asking what the ceiling would be on turnovers and losses for me to evaluate whether 49 passing touchdowns and 4,900 passing yards would legitimately be described as "regression".

I don't, how about you just tell us what you think regression is so we don't have to guess what you would agree to.

1 hour ago, PhataLerror said:

Popularity is directly proportional to the degree of agreement met with the opinion expressed, regardless of the merit of said opinion.

I was unpopular for my support of Smith. I will be even more unpopular for my tepid acknowledgment of Mahomes. It's not an uncomfortable position for me. I've been here many times. I'm well-acquainted with the way reality rears its ugly head against those who initially expressed shock at my takes. The reward for having been right is seldom justification for the abuse taken along the way, but my level-headed approach has spared me the unpleasant experience of unrealized expectations.

Look I'm pretty level headed, but you sound like a robot.  It's okay to get excited,  we won't judge you. Promise 

Archived