Some rumors out there Chiefs trying to trade you know who

10 hours ago, Marleydawg said:

All you really need to know is that Andy Reid, Hall of Fame-bound QB guru, had his hands on both of them at the same time.  He could have kept either or both.

And he unapologetically shipped Smith off after seeing Mahomes play one game.  Whatever stats/explanations/excuses you want to throw out there can't dispute that.

Pretty sure the writing was on the wall for Alex once PM was drafted, not after playing a meaningless game.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, PhataLerror said:

I considered Smith a top quarterback. Not the best, but consistently one of the best, one that led his team to wins, and that was constantly tasked to make lemonade out of lemons, something a lot of the "elite" quarterbacks haven't had success with.

just out of curiosity, would you take Smith (pre-broken leg) over Mahomes if you were hypothetically given that option?

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Pretty sure the writing was on the wall for Alex once PM was drafted, not after playing a meaningless game.

For sure. Watching Alex scramble out of phantom pressure in the Steelers playoff game while Tyreek was breaking wide open TWICE, was truly the final straw.  

Finding Mahomes at that point was just a rare situation where availability and timing converged perfectly. 

That game vs Denver was just the final dress rehearsal where I’m sure Andy said it’s time. I actually think we win that Titans game had we made move then. But that would have been the wrong thing to do. 

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

Alex had a limited clock the moment they choked against the Steelers.  Pat just made it a laughably easy transition.

You probably should win a home playoff game when the defense doesn’t give up any TDs!  That game still haunts me. 

53 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I guess that is assuming Smith is retiring. 

Funny! But I do think its a pretty interesting concept. Assuming he was completely healthy and the entire league redrafted again, its almost certain Mahomes goes top 2-3. But where would Smith go? I'm guessing in the 100-150 range. 

19 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Funny! But I do think its a pretty interesting concept. Assuming he was completely healthy and the entire league redrafted again, its almost certain Mahomes goes top 2-3. But where would Smith go? I'm guessing in the 100-150 range. 

If you are just redrafting for a one season thing, I'd say 150 might be about right.  That's late 4th.  If you are doing a long term thing, his age would hurt him. 

4 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

If you were drafting right now, current age and development factored in, for more than just this season, I think it's silly to say even top 2-3...who else would even be in the discussion?  A QB would be first, Mahomes is already (at a minimum) the top QB younger than Rodgers, so it's choosing maybe 15 years of Mahomes vs. maybe 5 years of Rodgers or just a couple of years of Brady/Brees.

If you were ONLY drafting for 2019 then I can see at least an argument for the other top QBs like Rodgers, but Mahomes would still be in consideration for #1...

On 3/26/2019 at 10:24 AM, Mloe68 said:

You probably should win a home playoff game when the defense doesn’t give up any TDs!  That game still haunts me. 

I was at that game, sis got way too drunk and I had to take her to the car at the end of the third. I listened to the rest on the radio... It haunts me to this day. Stupid sisters....

Trading a spectacular talent who will always be a suspension or release risk is a good move.  We could get a very high draft choice or two or three choices or move up to get one of the top players on the board.  If any team can survive losing him, it is a team with a QB like Mahomes.  Mahomes can make any good receiver great.  Hill has great hands, but his biggest use is stretching the field.  Any reasonably fast receiver will stretch the field, because it is about risk to the defense, not the actual deep completionsm which are few.   If we can get a high choice for him, it would seem to be a net overall gain.  I doubt he would go to anyone in our division, though.  If he stays, it is win/win.  We get him for a lot less money on his next contract, which I think happens, anyway.  A blessing in disguise.

On 3/29/2019 at 1:41 PM, Fmbl2187 said:

Trading a spectacular talent who will always be a suspension or release risk is a good move.  We could get a very high draft choice or two or three choices or move up to get one of the top players on the board.  If any team can survive losing him, it is a team with a QB like Mahomes.  Mahomes can make any good receiver great.  Hill has great hands, but his biggest use is stretching the field.  Any reasonably fast receiver will stretch the field, because it is about risk to the defense, not the actual deep completionsm which are few.   If we can get a high choice for him, it would seem to be a net overall gain.  I doubt he would go to anyone in our division, though.  If he stays, it is win/win.  We get him for a lot less money on his next contract, which I think happens, anyway.  A blessing in disguise.

This whole deal has cost him money and trade value regardless of result. But right now until this plays out he’s got little value. We’ve just gotta cross our fingers here. 

Archived