Priorities?

jetlord

While we don't know yet whether Hill will be available full season or what further moves Veatch might make in FA, it seems obvious that the Chiefs needs center on eight positions.  S, CB, LB, Edge, TE, RB, WR, and IOL.  If you could fill those positions without reaching (won't happen) in what order would you draft to fill them?  My list would start with an early round CB.  The Chiefs are really undermanned there IMHO.  LB would be the next priority.  Wilson's history doesn't impress me.  EDGE might be filled with Speaks, Okafor, and KPass, but KPass hasn't shown anything yet and the Chiefs probably need to get another Edge in the first three rounds to get good talent.  They need a replacement for Harris at TE.  Doesn't have to be the next Gonzo or Kelce, but they have to have a body that can block and catch a ball that hits his hands.  Williams and Williams isn't enough at RB and the Chiefs have had pretty good luck in grabbing one in the third round.  There's several who should be available there. WR would be my next priority.  They can get by with what's on the roster now, but a speedster to replace Watkins or Hill would be nice.  S is a need and OG/C could use an upgrade, but I don't see getting one until the third day unless some real talent drops.  So CB, LB, Edge, TE would be my preferred draft order if talent is equal when the Chiefs pick.  Thoughts?

Corner may be the weakest position group in this draft. RB is nothing to write home about either.  Good year to revamp an offensive or defensive line though.  

I would lean into the strengths of this draft... o and d line, safety, tight end and find a receiver.

If a corner you like falls to u then there u go.

There probably won't be a first round corner fall to the Chiefs.  What's the opinion of Mullen, Rock Ya Sin, or Oruwariye in the second round or even trading down to get one in mid second round?   With the Chiefs so close to being a good team, they might be drafting for need rather than overlapping the linemen.  There's a few mocks out there that have a top Edge or DT falling to 29, but most do not. 

1 hour ago, liquidfriend said:

They've got to come away with a corner they feel comfortable with being the #1 Week 1.  At all costs.

Agree.  There's going to be three CBs on the field a great deal of the time and no FA remaining can be a regular starter.  I'm leaning toward Oruwariye but think reaching for him at #29 is a little too early.  That's a reason to trade down a little and pick up another third, if possible. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

There probably won't be a first round corner fall to the Chiefs.  What's the opinion of Mullen, Rock Ya Sin, or Oruwariye in the second round or even trading down to get one in mid second round?   With the Chiefs so close to being a good team, they might be drafting for need rather than overlapping the linemen.  There's a few mocks out there that have a top Edge or DT falling to 29, but most do not. 

Mullen is probably the best press man corner of those three.  I line Ya-Sin over Orouiuourowoeroiowie.

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

I think Baker might fall or be close to it

52 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I thi k hes the best corner in the draft. But he isnt long and super athletic like Spags supposedly likes. He reminds me of Peters skillset tbh.

Spags is going to play press man.  Murphy is the best for that.  IMO, Murphy is the only corner in this draft worthy of a round one pick.  In a more dominant CB draft, the rest of them don't go in round 1.

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

Spags is going to play press man.  Murphy is the best for that.  IMO, Murphy is the only corner in this draft worthy of a round one pick.  In a more dominant CB draft, the rest of them don't go in round 1.

I want absolutely nothing to do with Byron Murphy. He is the one name that really scares me out of all the CB names thrown about in the first 2 rounds.

I'm no draft guy but read the reviews on Murphy and the only thing that concerns me is the two things you cant coach...size and speed other than that  I think he'd be able to be coached up in regards to his other faults.

not really the review i'd want out of a first round pick altho it is the 29.. maybes light  reach?

34 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'm no draft guy but read the reviews on Murphy and the only thing that concerns me is the two things you cant coach...size and speed other than that  I think he'd be able to be coached up in regards to his other faults.

not really the review i'd want out of a first round pick altho it is the 29.. maybes light  reach?

Straight line speed can be deceptive.  He ran a 4.55 at the combine.  I don’t know about his pro day.  But, his ability to anticipate, and mirror routes, makes up for it.  Find some of his tape and watch it.  He breaks on a route almost before the receiver does, sticks like glue.  His play speed is excellent and he gives up very few receptions, rarely getting beat.  

I doubt we draft him, because I don’t think he gets beyond Seattle. But, if Veach is trading up for a corner, it should be Murphy.

• 4 weeks later...

So now the Chiefs first picks will be at the end of round two.  Considering their top need is CB, it's hard not to worry that none of the potential starters will be there by pick #61.  They also have to get a second TE and probably a RB.  CB....Ya-Sin, Mullen, Oruwariye,?  TE...Sternberger?  RB...Montgomery, Henderson,?   Which, if any, can the Chiefs snag on the second day?

Mullen might be there.  The other two won’t.  Lonnie Johnson is a real possibility.

Good chance Sternberger is there.  I also like Moreau or Oliver.  LOVE Kahale Warring.

I don’t see them using a pick on a running back early, if at all.  

Archived