Chiefs trade for DE from Browns

I think much better bottom of the roster guy ends up in kc.. 'with a bit more longterm potential.. kid has some power, and quickness.. if kc will leave him alone to let him be what he is..

and not ask him to rebuild himself every year..

third year dline.. usually the year things come together if they ever do... and what the hell he had more pass breakups last year than the safety he replaces...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Troyofoc said:

The guys been a bust. But for Murray a guy I hated getting playing time the trades a win. Hope new scenery and are dline coach can get something out of him he hasn't showed.

Not living up to expectations is one thing. But he's started 40 games in the last 3 yrs with 112 tackles and 12.5 sacks. A bust is someone who is inactive on gameday. This is a good depth trade.

2 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Thank goodness Murray is gone. At this rate 85% new starters on defense. Can only get better. Just a little better this year is a huge step forward.

85% new starters on defense?  This is a good thing?   85% of our defense has not played together before and they are going to play defense for a coach that has not coached any Chiefs defense before?   What have you been smoking?   The superbowl window is a very short opportunity.   We threw the baby out with the bathwater and now we have chumped it.

Just now, wilkie said:

85% new starters on defense?  This is a good thing?   85% of our defense has not played together before and they are going to play defense for a coach that has not coached any Chiefs defense before?   What have you been smoking?   The superbowl window is a very short opportunity.   We threw the baby out with the bathwater and now we have chumped it.

OK you win. They will be worse? 😏 they can go from complete crap to completely crap?

2 minutes ago, wilkie said:

They will definitely be worse.

These guys have been playing football their entire lives. Should be able to adjust...after all they are professionals. But Hey you can keep your limiting beliefs and KC will go from the 31st worse defense to 32nd?  Not much of a fall? 🙄

I guess we will see soon enough.  This is how the Patriots do it and their blueprint has been pretty successful.  Personally I have waited a very long time to see the Chiefs move into the elite column only to see us lose our star runningback,  probably our star receiver and 85% of our defense.   

2 hours ago, wilkie said:

I guess we will see soon enough.  This is how the Patriots do it and their blueprint has been pretty successful.  Personally I have waited a very long time to see the Chiefs move into the elite column only to see us lose our star runningback,  probably our star receiver and 85% of our defense.   

85% off our 31st ranked defense.  What the hell are you bitching about

If you are going to gut the D and get rid of  alot of players on D this is the year to do it when they are learning a new D.   It's not like the players that weren't retained or traded would have helped learning the new system.  

I expect the D to not look very good and even bad the first 6 to 8 weeks then hopefully the last half of the season they start to improve a little every week and can finish the season playing solid defense heading into the playoffs.   

No way this Chiefs defense is "worse" than last year. They may be worse in certain categories like sacks...but I am believing the overall product will net better results. I'm not saying upper half of the league good. But better than 31st.

5 hours ago, wilkie said:

Super bowl windows are indeed short, unless you have an absolute stud at qb, then they stay open far longer.  Joe Montana , Jim Kelly , Steve young , Tom Brady. Mahomes is barely old enough to walk in a bar and buy a beer yet he’s already bagged an mvp award. Our window is not small. 2019 is not a make or break year where everything gets torn down and start over if we don’t win the super bowl. 

9 hours ago, wilkie said:

Oh noes we'll be 32nd instead of 31st.  Whoop de fuckin do.

14 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Not living up to expectations is one thing. But he's started 40 games in the last 3 yrs with 112 tackles and 12.5 sacks. A bust is someone who is inactive on gameday. This is a good depth trade.

From pff. 

Ogbah has yet to earn a pass-rush grade above 60.5 in his three-year career despite rushing the passer at least 268 times in each of the past three seasons. Rushing the passer a career-high 496 times this past season, he ranked dead last in pass-rush win percentage (7.5%) among the 61 NFL edge defenders with at least 300 pass-rushes on the year.

sorry as the 32 pick in 2016 draft that sounds like a bust to me. Sounds like he might of had a few sacks he just ran into. There is a reason they let him go for a backup at best safety.

35 minutes ago, Troyofoc said:

From pff. 

Ogbah has yet to earn a pass-rush grade above 60.5 in his three-year career despite rushing the passer at least 268 times in each of the past three seasons. Rushing the passer a career-high 496 times this past season, he ranked dead last in pass-rush win percentage (7.5%) among the 61 NFL edge defenders with at least 300 pass-rushes on the year.

sorry as the 32 pick in 2016 draft that sounds like a bust to me. Sounds like he might of had a few sacks he just ran into. There is a reason they let him go for a backup at best safety.

so you'd rather have Murray back

56 minutes ago, Troyofoc said:

From pff. 

We don't need to have high hopes for him. A recent early pick that saves us cap space in the trade and there is no dead money if we cut him at any point. Any positive contribution from him is basically a steal for us. There has been quite a few cases where players in his situation turned out to be very good with a new team/coordinator. No risk - high reward move IMO. 

1 hour ago, Troyofoc said:

From pff. 

Yeah I didnt say he had been really good. I said he wasnt a bust. Bust dont even get on the field. This guy contributed. He may not be a starter, or the player scouts hoped he would be,  but if he is in the rotation on the DL for a team with legit SB hopes, then hes not a bust in my opinion.

Its ok if we have a different opinion of what a bust is. I think the guy can help.

12 hours ago, wilkie said:

It’s not a good thing Wilkie, but it’s the right thing to do. We’ve been down this road during Vermiel era where we tried to band aid a pourous defense instead of rebuild it, and it was a complete disaster. And yes we could have tried the Rams approach to go all in with expensive veterans and then paid a steep price later. But they lost to the Patriots just like we did. 

Weve got a 23 year old superstar QB. And that means a decade long flow of windows is likely.  Why not build the defense from the ground floor with pieces that make sense and with contract flexibility which doesn’t force us to cut.a good player. To me this only widens rather than narrows the Super Bowl window. 

In the short term we need to wait out and see what Veach does to add pieces with with cap room and draft pick capital he’s acquired.  But logically yes it’s probably going to be a struggle on defense with so many new and young pieces.  Good news is we have a clear upgrade in the defensive coaching staff to narrow the learning curve. And Spags has proven in both reclamation projects he inherited that year 2 we will see some huge dividends. 

So we are trying to pair a young emerging defense with a young once in a generation type talent at QB.  And in 2019 the hope is they can grow and improve to the point we can help us in earnest down the stretch while expecting big improvements in 2020. The is bold long term thinking and not something this franchise is known for  

We can’t do much about the Kareem Hunt or Tyreek Hill type situations   They were both late round steals for a reason   Control what we can control and take risks where the reward has more value than the downside   

Archived