Chiefs trade for DE from Browns

19 minutes ago, Marleydawg said:

IMO, what we missed most about Hunt was his attitude.  He was just flat out tough and he set the tone.  He was a closer.  I don't think we drop the SD game if we have Hunt, either...  Williams is a fine RB, but he's not going to grind out tough yards consistently like Hunt did.

Bottom line: KC was 9-2 with him and 4-3 without.

Agree there’s very little chance we go three and out trying to milk clock that last drive vs the Chargers. He rarely loses yards and first carry in that game we lost 3 which changed everything. That said Williams had 140 yards of offense and scored 2 TDs in that game.  He’s more explosive than Kareem who runs a pedestrian 40 time.  But as you said Kareem brought a toughness and ability to break tackles we missed behind an average oline. . 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I guess what I'm not a fan of is that we were a play or two from the SB so my thinking is you go all in this year.  Fire Sutton, but bring in another 3-4 guy who is creative and unpredictable then draft heavy on DB positions.  See if scheme and a decent safety and corner gets you there. Instead we gut our one position of defensive strength and completely change schemes leaving a ton of question marks that one draft won't solve.

We are relevant every year with Pat, but remind me how many SB does Aaron Rogers have? One, and hes an elite QB across the board. SB windows are indeed short, especially with keeping the skill players we have for one or 2 more years hopefully and keeping Pat healthy.

Change was needed indeed, but I fear we cost us some years with this approach and I'm not sold on Spags, but I do like his assistants.  Time will tell and I'll cheer until the day I die. Thank goodness for Pat/Red combo, couldn't ask for more there. Just my opinions, right or wrong. 

Our problems were deeper than that.  We don't have a nose tackle.  Well not a good one.  Or an average one.  We don't have 3-4 ILB's.  Well not good ones.  And we have 1 decent 3-4 DE, Jones.  And I think he'll flourish in a 4-3 also.  Other than that, you have a soon to be 30 year old guy making 20 million dollars a year that hasn't had double digit sacks in 5 seasons and Dee Ford who is a complete crap shoot and a bunch of dog shit defensive backs. This seems like the time to make the switch to me.  

10 hours ago, Marleydawg said:

IMO, what we missed most about Hunt was his attitude.  He was just flat out tough and he set the tone.  He was a closer.  I don't think we drop the SD game if we have Hunt, either...  Williams is a fine RB, but he's not going to grind out tough yards consistently like Hunt did.

Bottom line: KC was 9-2 with him and 4-3 without.

My only issue with this is in 2 of those losses we lost because the other team scored last giving our offense no chance to win the game (SD and NE).  The other loss against Seattle we scored on our last 3 possessions.  

God our defense was pathetic

On 4/2/2019 at 10:08 AM, PAChiefsFan79 said:

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/4/2/18291472/new-chiefs-defensive-end-emmanuel-ogbah-brings-length-leverage-and-strength-to-the-table

I was saying this before in other threads. This defense is not built on individual talent winning matchups. This defense is about using talent to scheme pressure. Twists, stunts, etc... Chiefs don't need studs, they need capable players that can execute the defensive plans.

This Spags def(still dont like the hire) needs 3 good corners we have 1 decent one so its gonna be a struggle

12 hours ago, soonerborn77 said:

My only issue with this is in 2 of those losses we lost because the other team scored last giving our offense no chance to win the game (SD and NE).  The other loss against Seattle we scored on our last 3 possessions.  

The point is, with Hunt the other team wouldn’t have had the ball last.  At least not the SD game.  The NE game was a crapshoot, it depends on whether NE could have held KC down in the first half. 

13 hours ago, soonerborn77 said:

Actually three of our five losses our opponent scored on the last play of the game to win.  

1 hour ago, Shadow said:

This Spags def(still dont like the hire) needs 3 good corners we have 1 decent one so its gonna be a struggle

Fuller is a good slot corner

Ward scored a lot of promise in the playoffs 

Breeland is a year removed from his injury

That is 3 good corners.  Definitively not as bleak as you paint. 

With that said I would be good with lonnie Johnson in the first round.  On path to the draft yesterday they said some teams were taking about him as the best corner in the draft.  And our LB coach was his college DC

5 hours ago, Shadow said:

We seem to have 1 good corner in Fuller and 2 possibly good ones or at worst solid backups in Ward and Breeland. I'm pretty sure our top priority is a CB at this point and a day one starter will come via draft or a trade within this month. The draft will likely bring in another decent on in early rounds as well. We are definitely not a finished product but seem to have enough guys in front 7 to be successful with a few DB additions. 

12 hours ago, Shadow said:

Who are you claiming is our decent corner?

from what ive seen ward may be our best cb, i have hopes for fuller to have a bounce back year as i was very disappointed in him last season. Breelund is a total wildcard health wise but if healthy i cant imagine him being worse than nelson.

to me those 3 corners could all range from being bad to very good this season which is the scary part.

my main hope is that honey badger and jordan lucas can cover up some problems in the secondary (i have higher hopes for lucas than most)

55 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Who are you claiming is our decent corner?

from what ive seen ward may be our best cb, i have hopes for fuller to have a bounce back year as i was very disappointed in him last season. Breelund is a total wildcard health wise but if healthy i cant imagine him being worse than nelson.

to me those 3 corners could all range from being bad to very good this season which is the scary part.

my main hope is that honey badger and jordan lucas can cover up some problems in the secondary (i have higher hopes for lucas than most)

Once Fuller became primarily a slot guy he was really good.

. Since Week 7 vs. the Bengals, Kendall Fuller has allowed 261 yards (37.2 average per game) on 46 targets with no touchdowns allowed. Since Week 7, Fuller’s 82.6 PFF Overall Grade is sixth highest among qualifying cornerbacks (minimum 59 coverage snaps).

Problem is Nelson was clearly better in the slot too. But he was redundant and not as good as Fuller there so he was forced to play a difficult role that overmatched him at times.  

Ward definitely flashed and has the size Spags wants but is still a wild card  Even with Breeland  (he should at least be upgrade of Scandrick as dime guy) we still need another legit talent early in the draft  

Get that and the group will not only have more talent, but should be a better overall fit in coverage  Fail to get that and it’s a major problem again  IE: The puzzle is taking shape  but there’s a huge piece still missing that can bring it all together  

11 hours ago, Palangi said:

With that said I would be good with lonnie Johnson in the first round.  On path to the draft yesterday they said some teams were taking about him as the best corner in the draft.  And our LB coach was his college DC

I think you are making some big assumptions claiming Ward and Breeland are any more than promising possible upgrades next year. Both showed enough in December to have some realistic optimism, but I think that’s the extent of it. We’ve got to find another legit talent to at least throw in competitive mix and hopefully even more. 

Fuller in the slot is a stud. Breeland is a young talented guy with tons of experience that should definitely hold his own, and Ward looks like he has the potential to become really special. To progress at the rate he was, and in important games, is very impressive. And his size and speed are very difficult to find in 1 package.

If we draft another corner in the first 2 rounds , coupled with some competition from another late rounder and some UDFAs, this is a group Im actually quite happy with going in.

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I think you are making some big assumptions claiming Ward and Breeland are any more than promising possible upgrades next year. Both showed enough in December to have some realistic optimism, but I think that’s the extent of it. We’ve got to find another legit talent to at least throw in competitive mix and hopefully even more. 

I dont think thats a big assumption regarding Breeland. Hes started over 60 games. This isnt hoping he turns the corner. Hes already played at a high level before.

Ward is definitely more hope than productivity, but thats fucking Suttons decision to continue playing Scandrick and refusal to rotate in Ward. We should have a better idea about who he is than we do. And Reid himself had to step in and insert him into the lineup, because he flat told us so. If it were up to Sutton we may not have seen Ward at all. 

I see the elements of a very good CB here. Small school guys slip through the cracks. Its about time we found a gem there.

30 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

That would be why I said I would be good with going corner in round 1. Did you not read the last paragraph. 

17 hours ago, Palangi said:

Don't like Lonnie Johnson in the first.  He has day 3 tape out there but probably a day 2 guy considering his size and combine.  Don't think he fits the profile with not being able to press well.  Certainly has potential though.

8 minutes ago, xen said:

Don't like Lonnie Johnson in the first.  He has day 3 tape out there but probably a day 2 guy considering his size and combine.  Don't think he fits the profile with not being able to press well.  Certainly has potential though.

He is a pure zone corner.  We don’t need him.

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

He is a pure zone corner.  We don’t need him.

I would think you could get a guy like Justin Layne and he would be more what they are looking for.  Tall, good wingspan with ball skillz, potential in press man and zone...

1 hour ago, xen said:

I was putting him up there because of the connection with House and what they were saying on path to the draft. 

I like isaiah Johnson from houston.  Tall,  long,  and fast (4.40) 

31 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I was putting him up there because of the connection with House and what they were saying on path to the draft. 

I like isaiah Johnson from houston.  Tall,  long,  and fast (4.40) 

Yeah Isaiah Johnson is intriguing.  But i would think he's a day 3 project.  All the tools are there but he may take a few years.  Hell of a combine though.

SmartSelect_20190404-180610_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20190404-180628_Chrome.jpg

Archived