Chiefs trade for DE from Browns

12 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Who are you claiming is our decent corner?

from what ive seen ward may be our best cb, i have hopes for fuller to have a bounce back year as i was very disappointed in him last season. Breelund is a total wildcard health wise but if healthy i cant imagine him being worse than nelson.

to me those 3 corners could all range from being bad to very good this season which is the scary part.

my main hope is that honey badger and jordan lucas can cover up some problems in the secondary (i have higher hopes for lucas than most)

Fuller is good. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh I don’t want a late 1st round CB to come in and maybe only waste a year or two of Mahomes.  If they put CB as that big of a problem....you take that first and trade for a proven nfl starter and move on.  Go get your young guy with another pick.

4 hours ago, Balto said:

Meh I don’t want a late 1st round CB to come in and maybe only waste a year or two of Mahomes.  If they put CB as that big of a problem....you take that first and trade for a proven nfl starter and move on.  Go get your young guy with another pick.

While I dont think it takes a 1st to get one, I agree. Would love to have Peterson traded to us but on draft day teams do see guys they want and do make trades. I just hope we are sitting there and they are loving our picks of some sort.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

While I dont think it takes a 1st to get one, I agree. Would love to have Peterson traded to us but on draft day teams do see guys they want and do make trades. I just hope we are sitting there and they are loving our picks of some sort.

Our 1st should be attractive to teams that want that th year option I’m hoping.

15 minutes ago, dksww said:

The Cards want a first for Josh Rosen and may not get it, so maybe they'd consider a 1st for Peterson?

Then, they could trade Rosen for a 2nd and 3rd and still be fine.

I mean if it takes our 1st so be it. They get something like this for Rosen then a 2nd and 3rd would be huge for them. Two first, second and third round picks give them 6 picks in top 100. That is huge. There overall picks would go from 12 to 15 and give them ammo to also move around going after players in the draft.

29 minutes ago, dksww said:

The Cards want a first for Josh Rosen and may not get it, so maybe they'd consider a 1st for Peterson?

Then, they could trade Rosen for a 2nd and 3rd and still be fine.

I think thats a given. seems the prevailing thought is he's a 3rd round guy and nothing more

Are there any other DBs worth our 1st besides the two most mentioned here (Peterson / Ramsey)?   I do agree with Balto that taking a CB there is risky and these next two years are a huge opportunity for us to win a SB.  Obviously the door stays open as long as Mahomes stays healthy but if we can trade for a known commodity that could lock down one side of the field then we'd be foolish to not try and make a deal.   

I presume most of you look at the NFL draft boards. According to a lot of the experts there are only 2 or 3 CB's worthy of a first round grade. We all know the names...Greedy Williams, Byron Murphy and Deandre Baker. There is debate about the value of each of these guys as to how high or low in the 1st they will go. A few names pop up as a possible late 1st rounder. Guys like Rock Ya-Sin, Justin Layne and Treyvon Mullen. There is not a single corner in this draft I am "in love" with. Trading to get a guy like Peterson would be a no brainer in my mind.

17 hours ago, dhitter said:

I presume most of you look at the NFL draft boards. According to a lot of the experts there are only 2 or 3 CB's worthy of a first round grade. We all know the names...Greedy Williams, Byron Murphy and Deandre Baker. There is debate about the value of each of these guys as to how high or low in the 1st they will go. A few names pop up as a possible late 1st rounder. Guys like Rock Ya-Sin, Justin Layne and Treyvon Mullen. There is not a single corner in this draft I am "in love" with. Trading to get a guy like Peterson would be a no brainer in my mind.

Not all starting CBs have to come out of the first round.  The Chiefs got Flowers and Carr in the same draft and neither was first round material.  Getting Ya-Sin, Oruwiye, Mullen, or Layne could still yield a starter better than Ward or to fill in if Breeland breaks down.  The Chiefs absolutely have to draft a CB somewhere in the first two rounds. 

I am cool with this trade.  Seeing Murray go somewhere else brought me almost as much joy as seeing we were not re-signing Demetrius Harris.  If this guy pans out to be anything, we have won.  If he pans out to be nothing, then we did not give up anything to take a test run on him.

3 minutes ago, ChiefsFoolFan said:

I am cool with this trade.  Seeing Murray go somewhere else brought me almost as much joy as seeing we were not re-signing Demetrius Harris.  If this guy pans out to be anything, we have won.  If he pans out to be nothing, then we did not give up anything to take a test run on him.

We save 800k too!

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

Not all starting CBs have to come out of the first round.  The Chiefs got Flowers and Carr in the same draft and neither was first round material.  Getting Ya-Sin, Oruwiye, Mullen, or Layne could still yield a starter better than Ward or to fill in if Breeland breaks down.  The Chiefs absolutely have to draft a CB somewhere in the first two rounds. 

Of course they need to draft a corner early. Just because I think a trade for Peterson would be a no brainer that doesn't mean I think it will happen. In fact, I'm fairly confident it will not. From what I understand, the Cardinals want to keep Peterson, do not intend to trade him unless someone offers a ridiculous "over the top" offer...like a first, a 2nd and a starting offensive lineman. I hope to God Veach would never do crap like that. But he has to hit on a couple of those early defensive picks. 2018 picks need to contribute big as well.

On 4/1/2019 at 4:03 PM, Iluvhouse24 said:

Its rather sad Im getting excited about the potential for a player to be a good backup. Sutton really did a number on this defense and my expectations.

It's a game of injuries and attrition. The team with the best depth will get through the season in the best shape.  Restoring depth to the team is the key in FA, unless you have a tiny window for winning.  Our window is very large.  Finding and building stars is what the draft is for. If that were not our direction, we wouldn't have acquired and be paying for those top position coaches.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Ogbah, Okafor, Speaks, and possibly Kpass should upgrade the Chiefs DE positions above last year.  They still need a blitzing EDGE and I don't know it there will be a starter available to them in the draft.

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Ogbah, Okafor, Speaks, and possibly Kpass should upgrade the Chiefs DE positions above last year.  They still need a blitzing EDGE and I don't know it there will be a starter available to them in the draft.

Kind of interested to see what happens with Seattle situation and how it might affect their tagged DE.

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Wouldn't Jerry attaochu be that blitzing edge guy? 

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

Even without one, Spagnuolo uses a wide variety of blitz packages, often using the safeties and even corners.  The Honey Badger is apparently very good at that.  So, I am not so sure that the absence of a blitzing edge would  be a real factor. It would be made up for in other ways.  Opposing QB's will be nervous, and that's a good thing.

15 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Even without one, Spagnuolo uses a wide variety of blitz packages, often using the safeties and even corners.  The Honey Badger is apparently very good at that.  So, I am not so sure that the absence of a blitzing edge would  be a real factor. It would be made up for in other ways.  Opposing QB's will be nervous, and that's a good thing.

All true, but my thought is that having a DT type makes the opponent's offense take into account the blitz on every pass play and makes the remainder of the defense that much better.  Even a stud blitzer playing WILL would make a better defense. 

17 minutes ago, jetlord said:

All true, but my thought is that having a DT type makes the opponent's offense take into account the blitz on every pass play and makes the remainder of the defense that much better.  Even a stud blitzer playing WILL would make a better defense. 

Sure we can scheme pressure and thats good but having a guy who commands double teams and respect only helps the D and those schemes.   We have one in Chris Jones but having one more only will help what Spags is trying to do.   We've been in on talks with D. Lawrence and their have been rumors about Clowney and Clark so it looks like the front office agree to some degree.

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

Having all pro's at every position would be even better.

Archived