Possible trade partner?

kkuenn

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/26539614/all-trades-2019-nfl-mock-draft-bill-barnwell-proposes-32-wild-deals

29. Kansas City Chiefs

Chiefs get: DE Carl Lawson, 2-42, 4-110
Bengals get: 1-29, 6-201

A Bengals trade up is about as rare as it gets, but with the Packers and Patriots lurking as teams that could at least consider using a first-round pick on a quarterback like Daniel Jones, any team interested in nabbing a quarterback is going to have to talk to the Chiefs. If the Bengals don't draft a passer with their first-round pick, moving into the bottom of the first round would be a plausible alternative.

Kansas City general manager Brett Veach already has two late second-round picks, but as the Chiefs build their roster around a core of stars who are about to get very expensive, they're going to need talented players on rookie deals. Here, they get a pair of valuable picks and a pass-rusher with upside in Lawson, who had 8.5 sacks and 21 hits as a rookie before tearing his ACL last season. With two years left on his rookie deal, any sort of return to that rookie form would make Lawson extremely valuable for a Chiefs team desperately seeking edge-rushing help.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

18. Minnesota Vikings

Vikings get: 1-29, 2-63
Chiefs get: 1-18, 6-190

After re-signing Anthony Barr and giving Adam Thielen a much-deserved raise as part of his contract extension, general manager Rick Spielman and the Vikings know they need to nail their draft picks to find regulars on low-cost deals. Minnesota will naturally look to address its offensive line yet again in the draft, but it might be more interested in guards if it plans to keep Riley Reiff at tackle. The Vikings could be better off moving down and picking up an extra second-round pick.

The Chiefs, meanwhile, have to be aggressive in going after edge-rushing help after somehow turning Dee Ford and Justin Houston into Alex Okafor and Emmanuel Ogbah this offseason. Trading up to the middle of the first round might give them a shot at adding someone like Brian Burns to their rotation at defensive end. The Chiefs could also use this trade, which includes the second-rounder Kansas City acquired from the Rams in the Marcus Peters deal, to trade up for their pick of the cornerback class.

We brought in Okafor on a decent contract as well as having the Nigerian dude from Browns. Kpass will likely backup Speaks so I'm not sure if DE is a dire need. We could use some pure pass rushing help which can be found in mid rounds as we don't need an all-round guy that needs to start from day one.

How about this one.  Chiefs trade #29 to the 'Skins for #46 and #76?  They grab an EDGE with #46 (Winovitch?) and still have 4 more picks in the top 92 to get a CB, S, RB, and backup TE without having to wait until the end of the fifth for one of them.  I've seen a couple of big boards where Winovitch, Oruwariye, Rapp, Montgomery, and Sternberger could all be had that way.  If one or all of those were gone, there are pretty good alternatives in each of those positions.  Fill the second half of the draft with a G/C, WR, LB, and second CB. That's a pretty good haul for sliding 17 places for the first pick. 

26 minutes ago, jetlord said:

How about this one.  Chiefs trade #29 to the 'Skins for #46 and #76?  They grab an EDGE with #46 (Winovitch?) and still have 4 more picks in the top 92 to get a CB, S, RB, and backup TE without having to wait until the end of the fifth for one of them.  I've seen a couple of big boards where Winovitch, Oruwariye, Rapp, Montgomery, and Sternberger could all be had that way.  If one or all of those were gone, there are pretty good alternatives in each of those positions.  Fill the second half of the draft with a G/C, WR, LB, and second CB. That's a pretty good haul for sliding 17 places for the first pick. 

I would be fine with this

45 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Would the Browns trade away their second, third, and a mid third day pick for #29?  They would have to love whoever was available in the late first. 

I doubt they would trade all that much  ut I would jump of they did lol. It would take their 2nd and another pick for sure though.

Just now, kkuenn said:

I doubt they would trade all that much  ut I would jump of they did lol. It would take their 2nd and another pick for sure though.

When you trade your first for their second, they have to throw in a third and a little more since they draft just past the mid point of each round.  I think they have picks 49, 80, 119, 144, 155, and later. 

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

When you trade your first for their second, they have to throw in a third and a little more since they draft just past the mid point of each round.  I think they have picks 49, 80, 119, 144, 155, and later. 

I just think their 2nd and 3rd would do for us. If we got more I would be happy though 

http://www.espn.co.uk/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/26882/will-browns-trade-back-into-first-round-dont-count-out-john-dorsey

The trade to acquire receiver Odell Beckham Jr. left the Cleveland Browns without a first-round pick in the upcoming NFL draft.

But a move back into the first round is always possible. Never count out John Dorsey.

2019 NFL DRAFT

When: April 25-27
Where: Nashville, Tennessee
How to watch: ABC/ESPN/ESPN App

Complete draft order: Picks 1-254 »
Needs for all 32 teams » | Draft guides »
In-depth stories on the top prospects »
Kiper's 'Grade: A' three-round mock »
McShay's 'Grade: A' three-round mock »
Two-round mock drafts: Kiper vs. McShay »
More NFL draft coverage »

The Browns' general manager even has fun with the idea. Every time he’s asked about a possible trade-up, he grabs his cellphone and says he’s ready to take a call.

Shortly after the Beckham trade came together March 12, though, Dorsey said any deal probably would wait until the night of the draft.

“If you think the player can help you, you go up and do it,” he said. “Those are the mechanisms that work out. You have to plan for them, but then you have to execute them on the day of the draft.”

The “mechanisms” that led to the acquisition of Beckham included a year of planning and discussion. That deal followed 2018, when Dorsey made 14 trades that led to the Browns obtaining (among others) receiver Jarvis Landry (Beckham’s former teammate at LSU), safety Damarious Randall and a bundle of draft picks. Among the players Dorsey traded: defensive lineman Danny Shelton (a former first-round pick), quarterbacks DeShone Kizer (second round) and Cody Kessler (third), wide receiver Corey Coleman (first), offensive tackle Shon Coleman (third), receiver Josh Gordon, cornerbacks Jason McCourty and Jamar Taylor, and running back Carlos Hyde.

Dorsey also has a history of important draft-day trades.

A year ago he swapped fourth-round picks and gave up a sixth to move up to take wide receiver Antonio Callaway. As a rookie, Callaway had 43 catches and five touchdowns; he figures to be in the Browns' rotation in 2019.

In 2017 with Kansas City, Dorsey gave up the 27th pick (in the first round), the 91st pick and a 2018 first-round pick to move into the 10th spot, where he drafted quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

Mahomes threw 50 touchdown passes last season as Kansas City went 12-4 before losing the AFC Championship Game.

Dorsey also sent three picks to Minnesota to move up in the third round to take running back Kareem Hunt. Hunt led the NFL in rushing as a rookie and was having an excellent season in 2018 before he was released after a video came out showing him kicking and shoving a woman. He was not arrested in connection with the incident, but the NFL suspended him without pay for the first eight games of the 2019 season.

Hunt is now with the Browns on a one-year deal, as Dorsey takes a chance on him getting his life together.

Whether the Browns have enough to move up into the first round is debatable. The Browns have one pick each in Rounds 2 (No. 49), 3 (80), 4 (119), 6 (189) and 7 (221), and three in Round 5 (144, 155, 170).

The second-round pick would be the starting point for a trade. The draft value chart many teams use puts a value of 410 points on the 49th selection. The 25th pick, as an example, is worth 720 points. The gap of 310 points equates to a low second-round pick. Which means moving up from the second round into the first could cost a second-round pick this year and perhaps next year as well.

That’s a high price, though if Dorsey likes a player it could be worth the cost given the high hopes for the Browns this season.

Cleveland has not added a cornerback this offseason; teams always need corners. There is great depth in the draft on the defensive line, and Dorsey spoke highly of Mississippi State’s Jeffery Simmons at the NFL’s annual meetings despite the fact he is recovering from a torn ACL and was seen on film punching a woman while he was in high school.

“I think from your standpoint, what you should do is you should talk to the coaches and the support system at Starkville, Mississippi State, and just see what kind of man that guy really is,” Dorsey said.

Depth at linebacker also is needed.

But the position isn’t as important as the player. When Dorsey sees someone he likes, he usually is aggressive about trying to get him.

3 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

I think the Browns 2+3+4 for the Chiefs 1+6 would be equal trade value

The Chiefs should jump at that in a heartbeat, but I doubt the Browns would give up that much.  The draft value chart shows that to be equal, but it would mean the Browns go from pick #29 until #144 without having a choice.  Don't think an end of sixth would be much incentive.  Maybe #29 for the Browns' second, third, and last fifth?

29 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The Chiefs should jump at that in a heartbeat, but I doubt the Browns would give up that much.  The draft value chart shows that to be equal, but it would mean the Browns go from pick #29 until #144 without having a choice.  Don't think an end of sixth would be much incentive.  Maybe #29 for the Browns' second, third, and last fifth?

The Browns have a stacked roster and Dorsey is actively looking to move up.

11 minutes ago, jetlord said:

We can hope.  Any thoughts on a similar trade with the Redskins? 

If a QB like Haskins or Jones slides to us, very much possible.  

I also wouldn't rule out the Miami Dolphins buying one low, the Saints willing to mortgage the future for one (Teddy ain't a great answer), the Vikings who only have one year left of Cousins after 2019.  The Carolina Panthers could be a dark horse team as I am getting a lot of random chatter that Cam's shoulder is just about shot for good.

If the Bengals don't go QB in the first, they will absolutely be a possibility.  

10 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

If a QB like Haskins or Jones slides to us, very much possible. 

I also wouldn't rule out the Miami Dolphins buying one low, the Saints willing to mortgage the future for one (Teddy ain't a great answer), the Vikings who only have one year left of Cousins after 2019.  The Carolina Panthers could be a dark horse team as I am getting a lot of random chatter that Cam's shoulder is just about shot for good.

If the Bengals don't go QB in the first, they will absolutely be a possibility.  

This is key as NE will be looking for a QB I believe to groom now. Dukes QB, Jones, would have some teams wanting to get back in the 1st and ahead of NE for sure.

I don't have a link, but Veach had a pretty good news briefing today where he addressed the draft a bit.  He talked about the trade process and draft philosophy.  Of course, there was no news or anything specific, but he did seem to indicate the there was focus on the defensive backfield.  Maybe the clip in on the Chiefs' website by now.  It's probably about 25 min. long. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

I don't have a link, but Veach had a pretty good news briefing today where he addressed the draft a bit.  He talked about the trade process and draft philosophy.  Of course, there was no news or anything specific, but he did seem to indicate the there was focus on the defensive backfield.  Maybe the clip in on the Chiefs' website by now.  It's probably about 25 min. long. 

Yeah, makes sense.  They need a number one corner.

26 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Yeah, makes sense.  They need a number one corner.

How do you rank Ya-Sin, Oruwariye, Love, and Layne?  Any others you would put ahead of them?  If Greedy, Murphy, or Baker fell to #29, would you still do a deal to trade that pick for two second day extras

15 minutes ago, jetlord said:

How do you rank Ya-Sin, Oruwariye, Love, and Layne?  Any others you would put ahead of them?  If Greedy, Murphy, or Baker fell to #29, would you still do a deal to trade that pick for two second day extras

Depends if they would be there for the 2nd pick. If you like 1 of the 3 and he does not make it to our pick then we did not go BPA and it hurts us. They will trust their draft board I am sure.

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

I really what Love did at Notre Dame, but he's probably better suited to be in the slot. 

Layne looks promising, but I wouldn't expect any quality play out of him for a good minute.  Still has a lot to learn.

I'm really back and forth with Oruwariye, but I don't think he's going to become a #1 kind of guy.  Ya-Sin's 3 cone is worrying, but some good stuff there too.

One later round guy that really catches my eye is Isaiah Johnson.  Big, fast and explosive guy that needs quality coaching.  I wouldn't hesitate to spend a 3rd on him.

A lot of zone guys in this draft.  If the Chiefs were utilizing a zone system than this would be a really easy one to solve.

My corner board would probably be:

Greedy Williams

Rock Ya-Sin

Justin Layne

Trayvon Mullen

Isaiah Johnson

Kris Boyd

Saivion Smith

If you feel the Chiefs have a great secondary coaching unit in place, Greedy Williams is the guy you want.

7 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I really what Love did at Notre Dame, but he's probably better suited to be in the slot. 

Layne looks promising, but I wouldn't expect any quality play out of him for a good minute.  Still has a lot to learn.

I'm really back and forth with Oruwariye, but I don't think he's going to become a #1 kind of guy.  Ya-Sin's 3 cone is worrying, but some good stuff there too.

One later round guy that really catches my eye is Isaiah Johnson.  Big, fast and explosive guy that needs quality coaching.  I wouldn't hesitate to spend a 3rd on him.

A lot of zone guys in this draft.  If the Chiefs were utilizing a zone system than this would be a really easy one to solve.

My corner board would probably be:

Greedy Williams

Rock Ya-Sin

Justin Layne

Trayvon Mullen

Isaiah Johnson

Kris Boyd

Saivion Smith

If you feel the Chiefs have a great secondary coaching unit in place, Greedy Williams is the guy you want.

I like Sam Madison as a coach. 

Archived