Offensive Line Pass Blocking Efficiency-PFF

6. Kansas City Chiefs

2018 pass-blocking efficiency: 88.0

With the help of one of the best tackle duos in the NFL, the Kansas City Chiefs allowed 141 total pressures from their 641 passing plays in 2018 but allowed just 13 sacks on the year, which tied with the Rams and the Steelers for the fourth-best mark among teams.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-pass-blocking-efficiency

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

16 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

6. Kansas City Chiefs

2018 pass-blocking efficiency: 88.0

With the help of one of the best tackle duos in the NFL, the Kansas City Chiefs allowed 141 total pressures from their 641 passing plays in 2018 but allowed just 13 sacks on the year, which tied with the Rams and the Steelers for the fourth-best mark among teams.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-pass-blocking-efficiency

Without entirely saying our line was crap, I'd say Mahomes athleticism bailed them out quite a lot regarding the sacks.  I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Alex Smith might very well have been sacked 40 times behind that line.  In fact, he was sacked 35 times the year before on far fewer attempts behind basically the same group. 

PFF is so hit and miss. 

1. The Chiefs gave up 26 sacks not 13.

2. We allowed 106 QB hits which is 24th in the league. 

In the playoffs. we were dead last in QB hits allowed if you rule out the Rams Having an extra game. Dead last in sacks allowed even with the Rams playing one more game. 

In the playoffs the line ranked 12th among 12 playoff teams per NFL.com. This was with all the starters playing. 

I don’t understand the myth that our line is good at pass blocking. Someone made a good point that we throw a lot of deep passes, but Mahomes also avoids a lot of sacks with his pocket presence. 

Between the tackles, we get demolished. Not usually as bad as the Pats wrecked us,  but pretty bad. Many times it is 2 or 3 guys hitting Pat at the same time.

Just saying, I will take a day one lineman please.

14 minutes ago, DieHard said:

PFF is so hit and miss. 

In the playoffs. we were dead last in QB hits allowed if you rule out the Rams Having an extra game. Dead last in sacks allowed even with the Rams playing one more game. 

In the playoffs the line ranked 12th among 12 playoff teams per NFL.com. This was with all the starters playing. 

I don’t understand the myth that our line is good at pass blocking. Someone made a good point that we throw a lot of deep passes, but Mahomes also avoids a lot of sacks with his pocket presence. 

Between the tackles, we get demolished. Not usually as bad as the Pats wrecked us,  but pretty bad. Many times it is 2 or 3 guys hitting Pat at the same time.

I'm pretty sure these  PFF grades/rankings take out the plays that the sacks are on the QB.  So yeah, they gave up 26 total, but PFF grades out the other 13 where it was basically Mahomes' fault.  QB hits allowed could also coincide with the number of passing attempts made.  The Chiefs were 9th in PA and gave up the 9th most QB hits, makes sense.

No way the Chiefs should be taking OL first round.  Round 4 on, ok, but this is not a dire need like CB, EDGE, S or even WR/RB is.

Exactly....   what people don't realize is that Mahomes rolls out immediately on many pass plays, putting himself in situations.  When he starts moving like that, the oline is not going to be blamed for the sack/pressure.  It also takes into account that after a certain amount of time, its not realistic to expect an o-lineman to hold his assignment for 45 seconds. 

we better not take online day one.  That's ridiculous with our needs. 

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

Without entirely saying our line was crap, I'd say Mahomes athleticism bailed them out quite a lot regarding the sacks.  I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that Alex Smith might very well have been sacked 40 times behind that line.  In fact, he was sacked 35 times the year before on far fewer attempts behind basically the same group. 

Dead on.

Mahomes is helping our oline tremendously. Not saying their bad but they're not elite.  we're prob middle of the pack if we had any other qb(besides brady/rodgers/mahomes,etc) 

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

PFF is so hit and miss. 

Our line is a decent pass blocking line. Nothing more. It looked improved this year because of the guy behind center, plain and simple, because he doesn't create phantom pressure. But the Patriots especially really exposed the line as a whole an pretty inept at handling "surprises." I will say Chandler Jones absolutely destroyed Fisher but other than that I don't remember the tackles heads up being beaten badly alot. Maybe I'm missing a game? We had backups across the interior line a TON last year. That should improve although I'd be looking center in the draft too to compete with Reiter. 

12 minutes ago, DieHard said:

We blamed it on Smith. Now we blame it on Mahomes. Truth is, they are not very good between the tackles.

Not sure who's blaming Mahomes. He certainly helped the line. Despite 30 more attempts our sacks dropped from 37 to 26. Alex absolutely lacked a feel for pressure and just ran himself into sacks that weren't there way to much. But we do have a problem between the tackles which hopefully can be helped by health and the emergence of Khalil McKenzie. 

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

We blamed it on Smith. Now we blame it on Mahomes. Truth is, they are not very good between the tackles.

I wasn't blaming Mahomes, but YES, there are times where a sack is 100% the QBs fault.

Mitch Morse didn't allow a sack for like 2 seasons so he'll be tough to replace. 

the Pats schemed all their pressure and we then hired that DL coach this past off-season so maybe he can also help the interior OL guys see new things they hadn't seen before.

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

Not dating this is the worst line in the world. Just saying we are one injury from Fisher, Allen, Wiley:Rieter, LDT and Erving protecting the most talented young QB in franchise history. 

Just love a OT to put at G and develop. 

Wait so you're saying that there are teams with 10 hall of famers ready to go if injuries occur? 

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

Not dating this is the worst line in the world. Just saying we are one injury from Fisher, Allen, Wiley:Rieter, LDT and Erving protecting the most talented young QB in franchise history. 

Just one injury = an injury to Schwartz then

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Just one injury = an injury to Schwartz then

I think we'll have a mid round OT coming in unless they really love Erving as a possible swing tackle. When you have a franchise QB you have to make sure that a single injury to a linemen doesn't put him at a major risk.

17 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

Exactly....   what people don't realize is that Mahomes rolls out immediately on many pass plays, putting himself in situations.  When he starts moving like that, the oline is not going to be blamed for the sack/pressure.  It also takes into account that after a certain amount of time, its not realistic to expect an o-lineman to hold his assignment for 45 seconds. 

we better not take online day one.  That's ridiculous with our needs. 

if veach takes Oline in the first two rounds then he needs to pull a magic Johnson and step the f*ck down

16 hours ago, DieHard said:

Wife is happy to hear this.....

5 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

if veach takes Oline in the first two rounds then he needs to pull a magic Johnson and step the f*ck down

Seriously? I wouldn't rule out a center at all especially on day two. I would hope Veach wouldn't either. In fact other than a QB I'm not going to be upset about us taking any position the draft board. 

Archived