Earl Thomas and (almost) signing with KC

Thomas previously told the Ravens' website that he thought he would sign with Kansas City, but he didn't reveal until his interview with Eisen that he had agreed to a deal with the Chiefs.

"Free agency was very weird," he said. "I didn't really know where I would end up. I was trying to see what my value was out there and I really thought I was going to go to Kansas City. I had committed there on a one-year deal worth like $12 million, and like the next morning I woke up, my agents called me and told me I had a better offer with the Ravens, so I definitely took that offer real quick."

Thomas' $13.75 million annual average ranks third among safeties behind Landon Collins and Tyrann Mathieu, who both signed deals worth $14 million. But Thomas' deal includes a whopping $32 million fully guaranteed at signing, more than Collins got from Washington or Mathieu from Kansas City.

His agents, Andrew Kessler and David Mulugheta, called the Chiefs to tell them Thomas would sign with Baltimore instead.

"That was the first thing that came to mind," he said. "I didn't want to disrespect that organization because obviously they believed in me for that one year and they committed to me, but my agents told me that they would take care of it and I just kind of let them guys work it out, and I got word back that Kansas City understood my situation and they were fine with it."

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well he showed he was all about the money. I mean why not let KC counter, if they did in that call or wished him luck. He could have made up money and solidified the back field while becoming part of a SB team. Oh well, I still say look at Tre Boston for a 1 year deal.

Ravens backed up the Brinks truck to his door and nobody else in the league was even close. Odd deal they offered that much at the last minute. We almost got a steal but I credit Veach for not caving and handing out a huge guarantee to a 30 year old who just missed most of the season. We’ve already been down that road! Love the player but I’ve definitely lost respect for the man for first flipping off his own team and now just following money and going to a team with no Super Bowl chance  

In other news the Ravens also continued their trend of picking up Raiders rejects at WR. 

Sounds like his agent took the offer to other bidders and got a better one. Not sure how much of it Thomas knew but nothing is certain unless the signature is on paper. Overall he got the better deal and we missed out on a very good Safety duo.

43 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Ravens backed up the Brinks truck to his door and nobody else in the league was even close. Odd deal they offered that much at the last minute. We almost got a steal but I credit Veach for not caving and handing out a huge guarantee to a 30 year old who just missed most of the season. We’ve already been down that road! Love the player but I’ve definitely lost respect for the man for first flipping off his own team and now just following money and going to a team with no Super Bowl chance  

In other news the Ravens also continued their trend of picking up Raiders rejects at WR. 

All players are looking for guaranteed money. He makes less a year than HB.

Yeah, the Ravens lost one less playoff game than the Chiefs did last year....

51 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well he showed he was all about the money. I mean why not let KC counter, if they did in that call or wished him luck. He could have made up money and solidified the back field while becoming part of a SB team. Oh well, I still say look at Tre Boston for a 1 year deal.

"I didn't want to disrespect that organization because obviously they believed in me for that one year and they committed to me, but my agents told me that they would take care of it and I just kind of let them guys work it out, and I got word back that Kansas City understood my situation and they were fine with it."

9 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

All players are looking for guaranteed money. He makes less a year than HB.

Yeah, the Ravens lost one less playoff game than the Chiefs did last year....

Of course players are looking for guaranteed money. I guess he's got his Super Bowl so now its all about the money. No harm in that.  And he should make less than HB because HB was better last year, healthy and is three years younger.  Honestly I'm just messing around. I expect a player with a ring to go wherever he can get the most money period. I would do the same thing. As for the Ravens. There's a BIG difference between losing in a home wild card game and losing in OT of the AFC Championship. We made that exact huge jump last year.  The difference between Alex Smith as a QB and Patrick Mahomes. We put ourselves in the game with the MVP, now we will see over the next few years if we can win it all. I think even you would admit you aren't there right now.  

4 hours ago, KC Warpaint said:

reminds me of Emmanuel sanders all over again

Nah. Emmanuel Sanders hadn't won a Super Bowl yet. Earl Thomas has his ring already. He can go for the money, and the Ravens were willing to give it away.

Besides, it's not like Thomas is thinking, "Oh, boy! I get to play on a team quarterbacked by Lamar Jackson! Super Bowl, baby!"

36 minutes ago, PhataLerror said:

Nah. Emmanuel Sanders hadn't won a Super Bowl yet. Earl Thomas has his ring already. He can go for the money, and the Ravens were willing to give it away.

Besides, it's not like Thomas is thinking, "Oh, boy! I get to play on a team quarterbacked by Lamar Jackson! Super Bowl, baby!"

what i meant was iirc that didn't sanders have a handshake agreement with the chiefs then decided to sign with the donkeys, so this is almost the

same thing

44 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

what i meant was iirc that didn't sanders have a handshake agreement with the chiefs then decided to sign with the donkeys, so this is almost the

same thing

I didn't mean to misrepresent your position.

"Signed" is what prevents a player from chasing a better deal that might have become available later. "Agreed" falls somewhere between 'If nothing better opens up' and 'I'm printing the documents and grabbing my pen right now'. The Sanders "agreement" stung Chiefs fans so badly because wide receiver had been a position of need for years, and the Chiefs almost had one. Until they didn't.

59 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Thomas had $12 million guaranteed from the Chiefs and $32 million from the dirty birds.  How many of you would pay $20 million for a ring?  Pretty simple. 

No doubt. Especially when he already has a ring. He would have gone to the worst team in the league without blinking for that much more money.  Still stings a bit from the standpoint Veach was really close to pulling off a major coup and creating the best safety tandem from the worst without giving up much CAP flexibility going forward. 

8 hours ago, kkuenn said:

KC was never countering that offer.  His agents did him well and they handled it fine.

He has every right to choose the financial security with his age and how the Seahawks did him dirty.

28 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

KC was never countering that offer.  His agents did him well and they handled it fine.

He has every right to choose the financial security with his age and how the Seahawks did him dirty.

He can choose financial security but he needs to honor the contract he signed. Not sure what’s wrong with the Seahawks expecting that. 

50 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

He can choose financial security but he needs to honor the contract he signed. Not sure what’s wrong with the Seahawks expecting that. 

Teams don't honor contracts all the time.  Every year.  Every team. 

2 hours ago, xen said:

Teams don't honor contracts all the time.  Every year.  Every team. 

This isn't true at all. NFL contracts by virtue of the CBA the players approved, allow the teams to release a player and only pay guranteeed money. This in reality is part of the total contract. Yearly club options. Earl Thomas signed a 4  year extension, got 45 million dollars as he agreed too and still somehow was being fleeced? Heck he's missed 19 games with injuries over the last 3 years to boot. 

3 hours ago, JPPT1974 said:

Yeah as it is about financial security. But also that of honoring the deal and keeping your word.

I spent the morning writing out a contract, which was built around an agreement in principle. The details of the contract are subject to review prior to signing. When you hear the phrase, "Agreed to terms", if there was an agreement in the absolute sense, the deal would have already been signed.

There are people who are decent enough to admit that they agreed to terms in principle, and then something even better came along. In those cases, a decent person is within their rights to ask for a release from their verbal agreement to pursue something clearly advantageous. And the Chiefs were decent enough in return to accept Thomas' request for such. It's not as if the Chiefs didn't have an opportunity to improve on their offer. They chose not to. That's the way free agency works.

I admire your sense of honor toward your word, and I try to do the same. What Thomas did is far less dishonorable than what guys like Charles, Houston, and Berry did.

Archived