AP 7 round mock

xen

https://thedraftnetwork.com/mockdraft/eKXbgm1itk

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/4/11/18226597/the-draft-market-and-predicting-a-chiefs-strategy-for-each-position

Round 1: Clelin Ferrell, EDGE — the team has shown it’s a priority to load up on pass rushers, and Ferrell is the best fit.

Round 2: Darnell Savage, S — looks like a potential upgrade; can be a playmaker.

Round 2: Trayvon Mullen, CB — one of that second tier of corners; has the physical tools to get into the Chiefs rotation at some point.

Round 3: Mecole Hardman, WR — versatile and dynamic playmaker that Andy Reid can get the most out of.

Round 5: Foster Moreau, TE — he’s a blocker now, could develop as a receiver; fits nicely as the Chiefs second tight end.

Round 6: Terrill Hanks, WILL— converted safety fits the need to cover running backs in today’s NFL.

Round 6: Bruce Anderson, RB — a receiving back to complement (not duplicate) who is on the existing roster

Round 7: Saivion Smith, CB — adding a big developmental corner late in the draft to build depth at the position makes all the sense in the world.

My analysis:  

Love

Ferrell in round 1.  Terrific value, fits what we seem to be looking for.  Led that Clemson line.  

Mecole Hardman round 3 - one of my WR draft crushes, love this kid's game.  Has some Tyreek in him.  Ton of potential in the slot and could be coached up to play outside.  Body catches too much but good hands when he gets after it.  Ping pongs around the field.  

Terrell Hanks round 6 - hybrid safety linebacker who can develop into a starting Will with speed to burn.  Has no idea how to play linebacker right now but tons of potential.

Round 2 - I'm not sure Savage is a single high, but I do like him at free safety. 

Moreau in 5 - 2nd tight end ceiling, not a game changer.  Good blocker but will never be able to flex out due to being a shitty athlete.

Meh

Mullen in 2 - overdrafted but probably about where he'll go, I question his fit in a pattern match zone system.  Good press guy though.  

The rest - haven't watched tape on the rest.

First 3 rounds are great.

I am liking Moreau more and more.  I think he is a day 2 pick.

No way Smith lasts until the 7th.

I don't think that we need to waste a pick on a RB.  What we have is fine and Veach will look at the PFA pool for more depth.  I would rather they use a day 3 pick on a developmental IOL or OT.

A couple of those picks are probably going to be used to move around anyway.  6 picks is probably where we're at.

JMO

Most mocks I've seen have Ferriell gone before #29 but I'd have no problem if he did fall to the Chiefs.  How does everyone rank the CBs after Greedy Murphy, and Baker?  There's about five who seem to float around day two in many mocks.  Ourawariye, Ya-Sin, Layne, Love, Mullen, and a few others I can't recall at the time.  If some top talent doesn't drop to #29, why shouldn't the Chiefs trade their first for a mid second and mid third and end up with the same players?  The big unknown is whether they need to find an immediate replacement for Hill or can they just look to replace Watkins down the road?  Do you like Hardman over Campbell or Isabella?  The Chiefs should also draft an IOL in the mid rounds.  JMHO

52 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Most mocks I've seen have Ferriell gone before #29 but I'd have no problem if he did fall to the Chiefs.  How does everyone rank the CBs after Greedy Murphy, and Baker?  There's about five who seem to float around day two in many mocks.  Ourawariye, Ya-Sin, Layne, Love, Mullen, and a few others I can't recall at the time.  If some top talent doesn't drop to #29, why shouldn't the Chiefs trade their first for a mid second and mid third and end up with the same players?  The big unknown is whether they need to find an immediate replacement for Hill or can they just look to replace Watkins down the road?  Do you like Hardman over Campbell or Isabella?  The Chiefs should also draft an IOL in the mid rounds.  JMHO

Just posted this in another thread:

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet 30m30 minutes ago

A rarity: #LSU CB Greedy Williams has had no visits and it appears no private workouts, either. Some dinners and meetings, but that’s all. It’s not good, it’s not bad. It’s just rare. Only other player I can remember like this was Tyler Eifert, who had no questions coming out.

49 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Just posted this in another thread:

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet 30m30 minutes ago

A rarity: #LSU CB Greedy Williams has had no visits and it appears no private workouts, either. Some dinners and meetings, but that’s all. It’s not good, it’s not bad. It’s just rare. Only other player I can remember like this was Tyler Eifert, who had no questions coming out.

Do you think that means Greedy is sliding?  

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Do you think that means Greedy is sliding?  

Well some have him going to the Chiefs if you call that a slide to the end of the 1st round. I just think teams know him enough and will draft where they see him best fit. I cant imagine him going to us in late 2nd though.

30 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Well some have him going to the Chiefs if you call that a slide to the end of the 1st round. I just think teams know him enough and will draft where they see him best fit. I cant imagine him going to us in late 2nd though.

Greedy lasting until #29 would be a slide. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Greedy lasting until #29 would be a slide. 

I have seen some where he dipped to the 2nd round even. Hell the link below has Noah Fant, who tested outstanding at the combine not even going in the 1st round. All depends if a run happens on a position or not and even team grades. Can you imagine him being there and us trading back, still getting him with an early 2nd round pick plus getting more picks to do so? He is shown by some being picked from their panel but there is always those surprise picks by teams doing position of need that pushes players back.

In speaking to team sources, numerous teams graded Williams in the second round of the 2019 NFL Draft. However, teams don't have 32 first-round graded players, so some second-round talents will get selected on the opening night of the draft. Williams is a favorite to be one of those players because he plays a premium position and has tools to work with. One general manager told WalterFootball.com that Williams is one of the most overrated players in the 2019 NFL Draft.

45 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I have seen some where he dipped to the 2nd round even. Hell the link below has Noah Fant, who tested outstanding at the combine not even going in the 1st round. All depends if a run happens on a position or not and even team grades. Can you imagine him being there and us trading back, still getting him with an early 2nd round pick plus getting more picks to do so? He is shown by some being picked from their panel but there is always those surprise picks by teams doing position of need that pushes players back.

In speaking to team sources, numerous teams graded Williams in the second round of the 2019 NFL Draft. However, teams don't have 32 first-round graded players, so some second-round talents will get selected on the opening night of the draft. Williams is a favorite to be one of those players because he plays a premium position and has tools to work with. One general manager told WalterFootball.com that Williams is one of the most overrated players in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Williams, Murphy, and Baker seem to be first round picks on most boards.  I don't see the Chiefs getting any of them.  The real question is which second round CB would the Chiefs target.  Oruwariye is listed at anywhere from #27 to #94 on various boards and the same goes for Ya-Sin and Mullens.  That's my reason for wanting the Chiefs to trade down.  They have a number of needs and having five second day picks would give them lots of options.  It's a long way from their third round pick until the late fifth so having that extra might yield that back up TE or an EDGE in the mid second.  They might pick up Hooker at S or Montgomery or Henderson at RB.  Just gotta find a willing trade partner such as the 'Skins to do the deal. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Williams, Murphy, and Baker seem to be first round picks on most boards.  I don't see the Chiefs getting any of them.  The real question is which second round CB would the Chiefs target.  Oruwariye is listed at anywhere from #27 to #94 on various boards and the same goes for Ya-Sin and Mullens.  That's my reason for wanting the Chiefs to trade down.  They have a number of needs and having five second day picks would give them lots of options.  It's a long way from their third round pick until the late fifth so having that extra might yield that back up TE or an EDGE in the mid second.  They might pick up Hooker at S or Montgomery or Henderson at RB.  Just gotta find a willing trade partner such as the 'Skins to do the deal. 

Maybe to far back in the 2nd for us? I would hope to get an earlier 2nd and a 4th from a team flush with picks like Indy has. They have 9 and even trading back into the first for a 2nd and 4th still leaves them picks in those rounds.

35 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Maybe to far back in the 2nd for us? I would hope to get an earlier 2nd and a 4th from a team flush with picks like Indy has. They have 9 and even trading back into the first for a 2nd and 4th still leaves them picks in those rounds.

Wouldn't drafting around #45 and #82 be better than #35 and a 4th?  Guess it all depends on whether one is targeting a specific player or if one's board is more flexible.  With the Chiefs needs at so many positions, staying flexible and getting value at a variety of positions would seem preferable.  I feel that the difference between the end of the first round and the middle of the second isn't all that much if the team could pick up a mid third.  Five players on the second day would disappoint those attending the first day draft party, but it would fill a lot of holes.  The Chiefs need a CB, Edge, TE, G/C, S, and RB and waiting for the fifth round to get several of them is a long wait. 

34 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Wouldn't drafting around #45 and #82 be better than #35 and a 4th?  Guess it all depends on whether one is targeting a specific player or if one's board is more flexible.  With the Chiefs needs at so many positions, staying flexible and getting value at a variety of positions would seem preferable.  I feel that the difference between the end of the first round and the middle of the second isn't all that much if the team could pick up a mid third.  Five players on the second day would disappoint those attending the first day draft party, but it would fill a lot of holes.  The Chiefs need a CB, Edge, TE, G/C, S, and RB and waiting for the fifth round to get several of them is a long wait. 

Veach doesn’t seem to be the type that lets the board fall to him.  He targets specific players and goes and gets them.  If an Edge or corner that he covets falls to around 19, I think he’ll move up.  If not, and he gets to 29 and thinks he can trade back and still get a targeted player, he probably will.  

4 hours ago, SEMO said:

Greedy gets knocked for his lack of run support and unwillingness to tackle, but he can cover.  He's not sliding to 29.

I think people are too nit picky about corners and run stopping.  If they can do it, hey great...fantastic.  but ultimately it comes down to if they can cover a WR or not.

11 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

I think people are too nit picky about corners and run stopping.  If they can do it, hey great...fantastic.  but ultimately it comes down to if they can cover a WR or not.

The only time it becomes an issue is when corners go out of their way to NOT tackle someone. Like Peters...

Archived