Your draft take...Round 1

dhitter

A lot of players have been mocked to the Chiefs in round 1. Some names are popping up more frequently than others. I'm curious...

Who is the one player in round 1 that you are thinking "Man I hope the Chiefs get that guy" and who is the one player that "makes you cringe" to think the Chiefs may pick in Round 1?

The player desired has to realistically be around near where we pick...so don't say Devin White or Nick Bosa!! But if you definitely think the Chiefs will move up to get a guy go for it.

PROCEED....

I think that they are moving up for Byron Murphy.

Would love to get Christian Wilkins if he fell far enough to realistically trade up for.

None would really make me cringe.  A major reach, or trading up for player they could have stayed at their pick for, would make me cringe.

The player that makes me cringe to think about them trading up and drafting in round 1 is Byron Murphy. His lack of starting experience, size and top end speed scare the shit out of me. I think he is going to be a very average corner.

The player that trading up to get makes me giddy thinking about is Devin White. Our biggest needs on paper may be pass rusher and corner, but this kid is an absolute stud. We wont trade this far up, but man him and O'Daniel would be such an infusion of talent and speed to our LB corps, it would be awesome.

I cringe at the thought of the Chiefs trading up for anybody.  They have too many holes to fill to be trading away any second day choices or even the extra second next year.  Their best move would be to trade down and have five day two picks.  But the O.P. seems to assume that the Chiefs don't trade and who is worth a #29.  If the Chiefs are really locked into choosing in the first round, Ferrell would be a okay, but he won't last that long.  Wilkins and Tillery don't excite me too much.  Maybe Adderley since the Chiefs need a safety.  The more I look at the prospects, the more I want the Chiefs to trade down.  Just have to wait to see if someone falls at an area of need in the first, I suppose. 

5 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

If we pick I think it will be a CB like Greedy. That is unless some insane talented guy from another position fell to us by then.

Nothing wrong with going Greedy.  He has a few questions, but the talent is there.  Could be another Peters type who contributes during his rookie contract years.  Unlike an earlier poster, I would also go with Murphy but don't think the Chiefs should trade up to get him.  If he falls that far, then okay.   There are quite a few mocks where one of the Iowa TEs falls.  The talent is there, but team needs might let one slide.  Would anyone go for Dexter Lawrence?  I'm conflicted on him, but he might be available at #29.

15 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Nothing wrong with going Greedy.  He has a few questions, but the talent is there.  Could be another Peters type who contributes during his rookie contract years.  Unlike an earlier poster, I would also go with Murphy but don't think the Chiefs should trade up to get him.  If he falls that far, then okay.   There are quite a few mocks where one of the Iowa TEs falls.  The talent is there, but team needs might let one slide.  Would anyone go for Dexter Lawrence?  I'm conflicted on him, but he might be available at #29.

With the changes in defense we all think it will be a defensive pick, but man I would be happy to get one of the Iowa TEs. I would really like the RB from ISU, Montgomery in late round 2 if he is there. Those would just give us so many options if we got either. If a TE is there as well as a CB and Lawrence the bpa would be my choice but Lawrence reminds me of how people felt about Jones and we took him high 2nd round. Those 2 together could push the middle and that is something we really need. If that happens the defense as a whole just got a lot better.

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

With the changes in defense we all think it will be a defensive pick, but man I would be happy to get one of the Iowa TEs. I would really like the RB from ISU, Montgomery in late round 2 if he is there. Those would just give us so many options if we got either. If a TE is there as well as a CB and Lawrence the bpa would be my choice but Lawrence reminds me of how people felt about Jones and we took him high 2nd round. Those 2 together could push the middle and that is something we really need. If that happens the defense as a whole just got a lot better.

Shocked to hear you say this Kyle.

5 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Shocked to hear you say this Kyle.

Yep but you are telling me you would take a 5th or 6th drafted CB over the 2nd rated TE as an example? Hell if the Chiefs only listened to me about Desmond King, Kittle, Hyde etc we would be looking good...../s  😉

Edit: I did throw in the Iowa State RB in there who I think will be very good for a team like us. You know how us Hawkeyes love the Cyclones.

This is kind of what I am alluding to Lukas,

teicher_adam.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop

Adam Teicher ESPN Staff Writer 

Chiefs GM Brett Veach on the state of the roster heading into the draft: "I feel good about the roster (but) we didn't win the Super Bowl so we can get better. All across the board there's talent that we can acquire and we can get more depth on both sides of the football . . . The things you do in free agency kind of protect you in the draft so you don't have to take a player that you feel is a second- or third-round value in the first round. So you make some moves in (free agency) and maybe some of those moves are big like the Honey Badger and some smaller moves.''

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

There's more choices at TE than at S or CB.  So if DBs are flying off the board, the Chiefs better get one early.  A drafted TE is an absolute necessity, but he doesn't have to be the next TG.  The Chiefs already have Kelce so the new guy doesn't have to carry the team.  I'd rather have Greedy and Sternberger than Hockinson and the tenth best CB.   All that being said, if one the the two top TEs did drop and the Chiefs felt that Oruwariye or Ya-Sin would be there for their second pick, a TE could be a great choice. 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

There's more choices at TE than at S or CB.  So if DBs are flying off the board, the Chiefs better get one early.  A drafted TE is an absolute necessity, but he doesn't have to be the next TG.  The Chiefs already have Kelce so the new guy doesn't have to carry the team.  I'd rather have Greedy and Sternberger than Hockinson and the tenth best CB.   All that being said, if one the the two top TEs did drop and the Chiefs felt that Oruwariye or Ya-Sin would be there for their second pick, a TE could be a great choice. 

We have Sternberger coming in for a visit too

1 minute ago, Troyofoc said:

Great sounds like I won't have to complain about reaching for a player this year. 🤦‍♂️ (speaks, o'daniel) Not going to hold my breath. 

Veach just explained that a main reason for bringing in HB and Breeland was so the Chiefs wouldn't have to reach for need.  

I think this TE class is more top heavy and starts to dip quickly after Sternberger.  

Safety wise, not really great at the top which is why you saw teams like us and the Redskins spend more high end dollars for the top guys.  I just don't see a game changer like ET, Neal or a Derwin James.   It's really an overstacked class with Tier 2 kind of guys and doesn't provide a whole lot beyond that.

CB lacks an elite corner and is thin at Tier 1 kind of guys, but pretty good depth beyond.  

WR is the same as corner.

I think this OL class might be a tad underrated because there aren't any elite LT prospects.

DL class is well documented, but I think it's actually somewhat thin for 3 tech guys

Not real impressed with the off ball linebackers

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Veach just explained that a main reason for bringing in HB and Breeland was so the Chiefs wouldn't have to reach for need.  

Like I said I hope he doesn't,  we will find out in about  a week.

Some good thoughts here. Personally, if the Chiefs want to add a good Edge guy they are probably going to have to move up. I've seen too many mocks with us taking Jachai Polite or Jaylon Ferguson. I just don't see those guys as 1st round stock. They can be had in the 2nd round.

I prefer a top tier edge rusher or a CB. But the thinking that if there is a TE (or other position) available with a 1st round grade it would be better to take the better player or trade down. My concern with Veach is that he seems to be the type that, if he likes a player, he is willing to go get him even if he has to pay a premium for it. A lot of folks thought Speaks was a reach as was the other guy we moved up for. There were no home runs in our defensive haul last year. Guys can still develop and contribute and I expect them to. But we need an impact player who can start right away. Not sure who that would be.

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

. But we need an impact player who can start right away. Not sure who that would be.

A good CB might win a starting job over Ward or fill in for lots of snaps.  The second TE will get playing time.  If the Chiefs drafted a RB like Montgomery or Henderson, expect him to get a good portion of the carries.  If Hill loses time, a first or second day WR would probably get some PT.  OLB or S could use help or upgrade.  How about a DT to play along side Jones?  The point is that even though the Chiefs could start with the players already on the team, there's plenty of possibilities for backups and a few for starters. 

3 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

I think Greedy is the target.  Sure they will have Plan B's ready but I think they really want to put the bow on the CB position.

I'd bet the odds are less than 20% that Greedy will be there by pick #29.  Gotta have a backup plan to grab a second tier CB in the second round.  Again, moving down would probably serve the Chiefs best.  There's a number of mocks that have a QB sliding and the Chiefs would have a good shot at trading down 15-18 picks and getting another second and third at a minimum.

Archived