Veach planning a Trade?

Reports are that KC canceled this year's opening night draft party......Maybe has a few trades on the block if the right player is sitting there at our pick?  Kinda like how we had a deal with the Bills if Pat was still on the board?!?!  Patrick Peterson?  Jalen Ramsey?  I’m guessing Seattle for Frank Clark....

ycm8ibEE_bigger.jpg

Seattle still is considering trading franchise DE Frank Clark and if he were to be traded before Thursday’s draft, the package would need to include at least a first-round pick, per league source.

Or maybe it means a trade down?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Of course Seattle would say that but they can’t really afford him either.  I would personally offer the 1st but I bet we could wait and offer 2 2nd rounders, one this year and one next.    

Is he really more valuable than Ford was in a trade?

I don't think the Chiefs will give up their 1st for it.  I could be wrong, but it just seems Veach and the Chiefs have been more inclined to shed CAP and acquire picks. 

This would cost us both.

If they can finagle a 2nd round pick that would be better, but I don't really want to give up our first for it.

The player they get instead would be younger and cheaper without the huge contract they'll have to give Clark.

27 minutes ago, dksww said:

I don't think the Chiefs will give up their 1st for it.  I could be wrong, but it just seems Veach and the Chiefs have been more inclined to shed CAP and acquire picks. 

This would cost us both.

If they can finagle a 2nd round pick that would be better, but I don't really want to give up our first for it.

The player they get instead would be younger and cheaper without the huge contract they'll have to give Clark.

I gotta agree but on the other hand I’d be as happy as a puppy with two peters if Veach traded our 1st for Patrick Peterson or Jalen Ramsey and give either one a new huge contract.....So maybe a DE is worth it two?  Maybe it’s because Peterson/Ramsey are much “sexier” names than Clark’s?

Found this PFF piece pre free agency that would make me feel better about trading 29 for Clark.  But he’s average vs the run (which is an upgrade from Ford there) but not compelling. His issues off the field don’t seem to match what Veach is looking for but again every situation is different.   

FRANK CLARK – BUY

Clark is young and consistent – a fantastic combo to project going forward. He’ll turn 26 later this year and has three straight seasons with 10-plus sacks. It’s not simply the yearly consistency, but also the game to game. He didn’t have a single game this past season with fewer than two pressures. 

DEE FORD – SELL

Ford is the anti-Frank Clark at this point; the consistency over his career has been non-existent. Seemingly minor injuries have neutered his effectiveness over the years. His 84 pressures this season including the playoffs were 30 more than any other season of his career. The high end is there, but in such a deep free agent class, there’s no reason to break the bank for him. The franchise tag is nearly a certainty.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Chiefs fans: We need to win now while Mahomes is cheap and were so close last year!

Also Chiefs fans: FUCK NO we shouldn't trade our late first round pick for an established, high tier pass rusher because we'd have to pay him!

Going all in one way or another makes no sense. Depends on the player. If you are going to overpay I guess now is the time as you won’t be able to later and our first has a good chance of landing us a player with second round grade if we stay at 29.  I’m personally fine with whatever Veach does here for now. He’s proven he won’t waste money on players that don’t fit. So he should get some trust either way.  

14 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

He's not worth even a 2nd rounder.

Here's our 2nd rounders for the past 20 years.  There's precious few that I'd rather have than Frank Clark.  Probably Chris Jones and Brandon Flowers. 

Breeland Speaks, KPass, Chris Jones, Mitch Morse, Jeff Allen, Rodney Hudson, Dexter McCluster, Javier Arenas, Brandon Flowers, Turk McBride, Bernard Pollard, Junior Siavvi and Kris Wilson. 

I don't think this report means anything regarding a trade.  I think the point of moving it to Saturday is so that all the 1st-3rd rounders from Thu-Fri can be flown in and introduced as a group to the people attending. 

All that said...I have 0% expectation that the Chiefs pick at 29 this year.  He's gonna do something.  No idea what...but something...

3 hours ago, Balto said:

Thanks for post Mloe

Find anything on Clowney?  Wonder if that ship has sailed

Haven't heard a peep about him in weeks. But I'd say anything is possible still. I'd actually be most surprised if we stayed at 29 than anything else that could happen. 

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Here's our 2nd rounders for the past 20 years.  There's precious few that I'd rather have than Frank Clark.  Probably Chris Jones and Brandon Flowers. 

Breeland Speaks, KPass, Chris Jones, Mitch Morse, Jeff Allen, Rodney Hudson, Dexter McCluster, Javier Arenas, Brandon Flowers, Turk McBride, Bernard Pollard, Junior Siavvi and Kris Wilson. 

Arenas, McBride, Siavii, and Wilson.  There's a group of players to build the roster with. 

21 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Arenas, McBride, Siavii, and Wilson.  There's a group of players to build the roster with. 

Yeah.   We would have been better off trading 2nd round picks for 3 round picks.  Straight across.  Over that same time period we drafted in the third round:

Kareem Hunt, Conley, Nelson, Kelce, Houston, Bailey, Jamaal Charles and Dustin Colquitt.

For some serious suckitude, check out our 4th rounders.  Really on ly Jared Allen was the only one with a decent career.  Maybe Samie Parker if you are generous:

Watts, Chesson, Ehinger, Murray, Robinson, Wilson, DAT, Nico Johnson, Wylie, Jalil Brown, Cameron Sheffield, Donald Washington, Will Franklin, Craphonso Thorpe, Samie Parker, Jared Allen, Brett Williams, Omar Easy, Monty Beisel, George Layne, Frank Moreau, and Larry Parker. 

The Chiefs had so many busts from the first round before Peterson got here that one has to wonder if monkeys throwing darts at the board wouldn't have done better.  And their QB drafting before Mahomes reads like a record in futility.  Guess all fan bases have their complaints, but the Chiefs had to be near the bottom. 

6 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Morse, Hudson, and Pollard were decent 2nd round picks. I blame coaching for the failure of Pollard. Speaks in too soon to judge. 5/12 isn't horrible but it should be better. 8/12 would probably be considered good to great. Jeff Alan could push it to 6/12 but that's probably reaching. Arenas had flashes.

3 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Yeah.   We would have been better off trading 2nd round picks for 3 round picks.  Straight across.  Over that same time period we drafted in the third round:

Kareem Hunt, Conley, Nelson, Kelce, Houston, Bailey, Jamaal Charles and Dustin Colquitt.

For some serious suckitude, check out our 4th rounders.  Really on ly Jared Allen was the only one with a decent career.  Maybe Samie Parker if you are generous:

Watts, Chesson, Ehinger, Murray, Robinson, Wilson, DAT, Nico Johnson, Wylie, Jalil Brown, Cameron Sheffield, Donald Washington, Will Franklin, Craphonso Thorpe, Samie Parker, Jared Allen, Brett Williams, Omar Easy, Monty Beisel, George Layne, Frank Moreau, and Larry Parker. 

If that doesn't make you want to vomit what will? 

Archived