Veach planning a Trade?

A 2nd this year and a 2nd next year would be fair. A 1st... no. Especially with the contract he would need to sign. Also, averaging 9ish sacks a season isn't exactly franchise tag money. Chiefs had 3 players hit that mark last season. 

14 sacks last season is worth it, so don't get me wrong. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

9 minutes ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

A 2nd this year and a 2nd next year would be fair. A 1st... no. Especially with the contract he would need to sign. Also, averaging 9ish sacks a season isn't exactly franchise tag money. Chiefs had 3 players hit that mark last season. 

14 sacks last season is worth it, so don't get me wrong. 

Chiefs would be crazy to commit big money & picks on any player. Forget it. Once these guys get paid they seldom live up to the contract. KC just dumped 3 big contracts. I say they stay that course and rebuild with smart drafts and a few value free agents. 

41 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Chiefs would be crazy to commit big money & picks on any player. Forget it. Once these guys get paid they seldom live up to the contract. KC just dumped 3 big contracts. I say they stay that course and rebuild with smart drafts and a few value free agents. 

True. But we dumped 3 contracts for inconsistent, unhealthy or regressing players. Clark is younger, been healthier and very consistent.  He’d make us instantly better.  That said he’s a good, not great player with character baggage risk and we also have to pay Chris Jones.  I see both sides of this one. 

Whatever happens I think it’s unlikely we draft at 29.  We’ve also got CAP money to get an instant contributor a workable 3 year deal.  

The Athletic's Connor Hughes reports the Seahawks want the No. 3 overall pick from the Jets in exchange for franchise-tagged DE Frank Clark.

Per Hughes, the Jets "won't give it up," and obviously nobody could blame them. Hughes believes the Chiefs are the "most likely" to iron something out with Seattle in a Clark trade. There's been a whole lot of smoke surround Clark, and it almost seems inevitable at this point that he gets dealt by the end of the week. The Colts are also said to be in the mix for Clark.

If this was one of those moves that put us over the top, I'd be all for it. But we are going in with a new scheme on D and young players. Rather build through the draft this year and consider a move like this next year if justified. We have a ton of holes to fill this year. 

27 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

If this was one of those moves that put us over the top, I'd be all for it. But we are going in with a new scheme on D and young players. Rather build through the draft this year and consider a move like this next year if justified. We have a ton of holes to fill this year. 

Veach has loaded us up with three picks in the first two rounds in both of the next two drafts. He’s also created CAP flexibility to make big moves.  If a 26 year proven consistent pass rusher is what Spags really wants   This along with the draft and a late 1 year free agent or two could be exactly what puts us over the top. Odds are we aren’t getting a first round graded player at 29 either way.  Veach could really go in any direction here. 

10 hours ago, FANATIC said:

I second what mloe stated to your post.

7 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Veach has loaded us up with three picks in the first two rounds in both of the next two drafts. He’s also created CAP flexibility to make big moves.  If a 26 year proven consistent pass rusher is what Spags really wants   This along with the draft and a late 1 year free agent or two could be exactly what puts us over the top. Odds are we aren’t getting a first round graded player at 29 either way.  Veach could really go in any direction here. 

Good points. 

9 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

Good point re: quality of player at 29. I looked up the 29th selection historical pick going back 39 years and it’s not very inspiring. Several good players, but no/ very few (debatable) all-pro types.  http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Picks/29th-overall/290309/ 

Kind of makes trading that pick for a young, proven playmaker easier to fathom. 

39 minutes ago, TomahawkChop said:

Good point re: quality of player at 29. I looked up the 29th selection historical pick going back 39 years and it’s not very inspiring. Several good players, but no/ very few (debatable) all-pro types.  http://www.mynfldraft.com/NFL-Draft-Picks/29th-overall/290309/ 

Kind of makes trading that pick for a young, proven playmaker easier to fathom. 

Agree.  I don’t know if they think Clark is a good fit or not with overall plan, but if he is, go get him. This applies to any impact player. Veach has set us up to do this. 

But just because we can, doesn’t mean we should. Just has to make sense. 

Which position would Clark play in Spags D?

Leo?

Weak-side defensive end - The Weak-side defensive end — also called the “LEO” — in the 4-3 Under is typically the best pass rusher on the team. Putting his hand in the dirt, this defender is responsible for weak-side run contain opposite the tight end and getting after the quarterback. With the Chiefs current personnel, this would be an easy fill for Dee Ford. Limited coverage responsibility, ability to set an edge, and — most importantly — a great pass rusher are all things that we’ve seen from Dee Ford this season.

Who plays our Stronge-side DE and our SAM?

Strong-side defensive end - Lined up to the strong side of the offense, this defensive end will be between the tight end and the tackle, and their primary responsibility is as a run stuffer with a minimal amount of pass rush ability. This is actually a perfect fit to try to maximize last year’s second-round pick Breeland Speaks. Speaks is solid against the run, but looks uncomfortable in space, something he won’t have to contend with often lined up in this spot. With some wanting to kick Speaks inside to 5-tech in the Chiefs 3-4 defense, this situation presents a better opportunity for Speaks to develop as a starting player for the Chiefs.

SAM linebacker - When most think of the 4-3 defense, they think of three off-ball linebackers on the second level behind four defensive linemen. With the 4-3 Under, one of those off-ball linebackers shifts down close to the line of scrimmage — still standing — and can rush the passer or drop into coverage to carry a tight end to the safeties in the second level. During Spagnuolo’s second run as a defensive coordinator with the New York Giants, he acquired Olivier Vernon and Devon Kennard. Vernon played this role sparingly, but was still effective. Vernon is a large outside linebacker with limited coverage ability but was able to defend the run very well off of the tight end and could find a lot of success as a pass rusher standing up. If that sounds familiar to you, it should — it’s quite similar to what Justin Houston has offered the Chiefs recently.

fwiw,

I'm listening to the Nate Taylor from The Athletic segment on The Program 810 WHB...

Says from what he's been told the Seahawks' asking price on F. Clark is:

-1st round pick

-2nd round pick

-Swap of picks in the middle of the draft(said middle round picks but it's not middle round, it's middle draft)

-A player

This is the starting price so and talk with the Chiefs is them working the price down.

There's no way in hell I would give all that up for a player without a contract and you have to pay 95+ million dollars for.

Just now, dksww said:

fwiw,

I'm listening to the Nate Taylor from The Athletic segment on The Program 810 WHB...

-1st round pick

-2nd round pick

-Mid round pick

-A player

This is the starting price so and talk with the Chiefs is them working the price down.

There's no way in hell I would give all that up for a player without a contract and you have to pay 95+ million dollars for.

WOULD BE INSANE. I would not trade for this guy period. Too Much Money plus Picks. NO Way. Move up in the draft and get a guy on a rookie contract!

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

Sources: The #Seahawks and #Chiefs are deep in talks on a trade to send star Frank Clark to KC. The compensation would include a 1st rounder, a 2020 2nd rounder and a swap of mid-rounders. To complete it, the franchise tagged player and Chiefs must hammer out a deal.

I would hate this deal

Ian RapoportVerified account @RapSheet
FollowFollow @RapSheet
More

Sources: The #Seahawks and #Chiefs are deep in talks on a trade to send star Frank Clark to KC. The compensation would include a 1st rounder, a 2020 2nd rounder and a swap of mid-rounders. To complete it, the franchise tagged player and Chiefs must hammer out a deal.

1 hour ago, dksww said:

fwiw,

-1st round pick

-2nd round pick

-Swap of picks in the middle of the draft(said middle round picks but it's not middle round, it's middle draft)

-A player

Rappaport is saying it is happening right now.  Was getting updates while on air.  This year’s 1. A 2 next year, and a swap of mid round picks.

I wanna vomit.

rrowhead Pride Retweeted

Frank Clark and Chiefs now will finalize their long-term deal. Chiefs have two second-round picks in 2020 - theirs and the one they acquired from SF for Dee Ford. They will retain the better of the 2’s, and the lower one will go to Seattle as part of the trade for Frank Clark.

28 replies170 retweets304 likes

Retweet

Archived