Letting Frank Clark walk would be tough to overcome for the Seattle Seahawks

BY AUSTIN GAYLE • SEATTLE SEAHAWKS  FRANK CLARK • FEB 18, 2019

USATSI_10383735_168384674_lowres.jpg?w=9

The Seattle Seahawks’ defense can’t afford to get much worse from a pass-rushing perspective in 2019, and getting worse is exactly what would ensue if veteran edge defender Frank Clark walks this offseason.

Through the regular season, Seattle recorded pressure on just 31.5% of the opponent’s dropbacks, tied for 23rd in the NFL. And Clark, whose contract expires in March, tallied a whopping 24.6% of his team’s total pressures, the fifth-highest market share of any defender in the NFL in 2018.

Seattle loses its best pass rusher, a considerable percentage of its total pass-rush production and a rising superstar if the team’s brass chooses to cut ties with Clark; his value can’t be overstated.

Clark, a 25-year-old Michigan alumnus, was kicked off the Wolverines’ football team after a 2014 domestic violence arrest. He slid in the 2015 NFL Draft as a result, but Clark’s free fall only lasted to the 67th overall pick in the second round because of his on-field ability.

Prior to his dismissal from Michigan’s football program, Clark earned an FBS-high 92.1 overall grade in 2014, and, to add perspective, Joey Bosa (91.7), Trey Flowers (91.2) and Myles Garrett (90.5) ranked second, third and fourth, respectively, that season. He also tied for 11th in pass-rush win percentage among the 262 FBS edge defenders with 150-plus pass-rush snaps in 2014.

He was easily one of the most talented edge defenders in the 2015 NFL Draft. And his talents have followed to the NFL.

Clark’s three-year (2016-18) pass-rush grade (79.2) ranks tied for 18th among the 50 NFL edge defenders with at least 1,500 defensive snaps in that span. He turned in a career year in multiple respects in 2018, as well, logging career-best marks in terms of total pressures (67), pass-rush win percentage (17.5%) and pressure percentage (17.5%).

In the play below, Clark flashes his strength and bull-rush ability against Oakland Raiders rookie offensive tackle Kolton Miller in 2018. His ability to beat blocks with strength, speed and hand technique all improved significantly this past season.

FRANK-CLARK-BULL.gif

San Francisco 49ers rookie offensive tackle Mike McGlinchey also played a part in Clark’s bull-rush highlight reel.

FRANK-CLARK-BULL-2.0.gif

Per Jason Fitzgerald of Over the Cap, Clark and his ability to ruin opposing offensive linemen will cost “for something in the $17 million (per year) range.” Fitzgerald’s latest contract projection for Clark is five years, $87.5 million with $53 million guaranteed.

If Seattle can’t find that kind of money in the cap this offseason, Clark will find ample suitors waving similar if not more expensive contracts elsewhere – a situation that would cost the Seahawks dearly.

53 minutes ago, xen said:

Letting Frank Clark walk would be tough to overcome for the Seattle Seahawks

BY AUSTIN GAYLE • SEATTLE SEAHAWKS  FRANK CLARK • FEB 18, 2019

USATSI_10383735_168384674_lowres.jpg?w=9

The Seattle Seahawks’ defense can’t afford to get much worse from a pass-rushing perspective in 2019, and getting worse is exactly what would ensue if veteran edge defender Frank Clark walks this offseason.

Through the regular season, Seattle recorded pressure on just 31.5% of the opponent’s dropbacks, tied for 23rd in the NFL. And Clark, whose contract expires in March, tallied a whopping 24.6% of his team’s total pressures, the fifth-highest market share of any defender in the NFL in 2018.

Seattle loses its best pass rusher, a considerable percentage of its total pass-rush production and a rising superstar if the team’s brass chooses to cut ties with Clark; his value can’t be overstated.

Clark, a 25-year-old Michigan alumnus, was kicked off the Wolverines’ football team after a 2014 domestic violence arrest. He slid in the 2015 NFL Draft as a result, but Clark’s free fall only lasted to the 67th overall pick in the second round because of his on-field ability.

Prior to his dismissal from Michigan’s football program, Clark earned an FBS-high 92.1 overall grade in 2014, and, to add perspective, Joey Bosa (91.7), Trey Flowers (91.2) and Myles Garrett (90.5) ranked second, third and fourth, respectively, that season. He also tied for 11th in pass-rush win percentage among the 262 FBS edge defenders with 150-plus pass-rush snaps in 2014.

He was easily one of the most talented edge defenders in the 2015 NFL Draft. And his talents have followed to the NFL.

Clark’s three-year (2016-18) pass-rush grade (79.2) ranks tied for 18th among the 50 NFL edge defenders with at least 1,500 defensive snaps in that span. He turned in a career year in multiple respects in 2018, as well, logging career-best marks in terms of total pressures (67), pass-rush win percentage (17.5%) and pressure percentage (17.5%).

In the play below, Clark flashes his strength and bull-rush ability against Oakland Raiders rookie offensive tackle Kolton Miller in 2018. His ability to beat blocks with strength, speed and hand technique all improved significantly this past season.

FRANK-CLARK-BULL.gif

San Francisco 49ers rookie offensive tackle Mike McGlinchey also played a part in Clark’s bull-rush highlight reel.

FRANK-CLARK-BULL-2.0.gif

Per Jason Fitzgerald of Over the Cap, Clark and his ability to ruin opposing offensive linemen will cost “for something in the $17 million (per year) range.” Fitzgerald’s latest contract projection for Clark is five years, $87.5 million with $53 million guaranteed.

If Seattle can’t find that kind of money in the cap this offseason, Clark will find ample suitors waving similar if not more expensive contracts elsewhere – a situation that would cost the Seahawks dearly.

😄😄😄

Poor Miller and McGlinchy.

3 hours ago, Shadow said:

We gave up way too much for Clark anyone ask themselves why Seattle who has had a much better defense than the Chiefs the last 6 or 7 seasons didnt want to pony up and pay him what Veach overpaid him? We just got rid of some bad contracts and now Veach adds a new one! Secondary is way more of a problem than pass rush with the signing of Okafor, and trading for Ogabah sp? We could of had an impact rookie defensive player making about 2-4mil a year for 4yrs than 20+mil and 2 high draft picks for a player with the same amount of sacks as Dee Ford last season! Seattle knew they could replace him and get as much production at 1/4 the price! 

Most everyone here is giddy from a gameday, on-the-field perspective, and so am I.  But I am also realistic like you.  We are going to have to pay Mahomes, and I thought that the plan was to keep him and several weapons, have a decent line on both sides, and then keep replacing first contract players with new first contract players who fly around and play a fast aggressive style under good coaching.  To suddenly put a big financial burden on that plan seems a little over-aggressive.  I want a dynasty, not a one year Lombardi.  Frank Clark could go down with injury just like anyone. The character issue also looms.  I really believe it is important to build the plan around overwhelming offense and "decent" middle-of-the-road defense and stick to it, not whipsaw all around every year.  Anyway, I am just saying that a long-term plan for the type of product we put on the field is the best way to go.  Meanwhile, I will still enjoy watching Clark wreak some real havoc out there and open up more wiggle room for the developing players  around him.  I am giddy about what Chris Jones could do this year. I also think the rest of the teams in this very strong division are in a state of shock right about now. It is essentially last year's team plus a top safety and essentially a Khalil Mack.  Looking at a looming division game against the Chiefs will inspire fear.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Most everyone here is giddy from a gameday, on-the-field perspective, and so am I.  But I am also realistic like you.  We are going to have to pay Mahomes, and I thought that the plan was to keep him and several weapons, have a decent line on both sides, and then keep replacing first contract players with new first contract players who fly around and play a fast aggressive style under good coaching.  To suddenly put a big financial burden on that plan seems a little over-aggressive.  I want a dynasty, not a one year Lombardi.  Frank Clark could go down with injury just like anyone. The character issue also looms.  I really believe it is important to build the plan around overwhelming offense and "decent" middle-of-the-road defense and stick to it, not whipsaw all around every year.  Anyway, I am just saying that a long-term plan for the type of product we put on the field is the best way to go.  Meanwhile, I will still enjoy watching Clark wreak some real havoc out there and open up more wiggle room for the developing players  around him.  I am giddy about what Chris Jones could do this year. I also think the rest of the teams in this very strong division are in a state of shock right about now. It is essentially last year's team plus a top safety and essentially a Khalil Mack.  Looking at a looming division game against the Chiefs will inspire fear.

I think right now we should be favored to win the Super Bowl this year unless something develops on the Tyreek front.  This defense should be markedly better.  I was skeptical that they could transition in one year to a 4-3, but it looks like they were able to.  Clark is exactly the kind of guy you need in a successful 4-3 and he's exactly the kind of guy not available at 29.  Okafor.  We are suddenly big and athletic up front.  Honey Badger for a shell of Eric Berry.    Hitchens, Speaks and Kpass should be much improved in a 4-3.  Spags for Sutton seems like a huge upgrade.  Mahomes has another year under his belt.  Brady, Big Ben, Brees, Rivers are winding down.  This has been about as good as I could have hoped for as a predraft offseason.  They ripped off the bandaid and went to work.  This should be an exciting season. 

During the NFL free agency period, ESPN’s Bill Barnwell has been grading its significant moves. Now he’s weighed in on the trade between the Kansas City Chiefs and Seattle Seahawksthat brings Seahawks defensive end Frank Clark to the Chiefs in exchange for the Chiefs’ first-round pick on Thursday and the less valuable of the team’s two 2020 second-round picks. As part of the deal, the teams have also agreed to swap their third-round picks on Friday.

Barnwell thinks the trade has a clear winner. He’s given the Chiefs a D- for the trade, and the Seahawks a B.

Barnwell thinks the Chiefs gave up a lot in the deal.

When you calculate the value of each pick using Chase Stuart’s draft value chart, this trade values Clark at 21.1 points of draft capital, which is somewhere between the seventh and eighth overall selections in a typical draft. Most organizations would build in some level of a discount because the 2020 second-round pick is delayed compensation, but you get the idea.

Barnwell argues that because the Chiefs also had to negotiate a new contract with Clark as part of the deal — which has been reported to be for five years and $105 million — you have to consider the surplus value the Chiefs could have obtained by using that same draft capital to move up to the seventh or eighth pick and draft a player who might provide production far beyond his cost to acquire — using players like Roquan Smith, Christian McCaffrey and Jack Conklin as examples.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/4/24/18514086/espns-bill-barnwell-grades-the-frank-clark-trade-as-a-d-for-the-chiefs

4 hours ago, Shadow said:

We gave up way too much for Clark anyone ask themselves why Seattle who has had a much better defense than the Chiefs the last 6 or 7 seasons didnt want to pony up and pay him what Veach overpaid him? We just got rid of some bad contracts and now Veach adds a new one! Secondary is way more of a problem than pass rush with the signing of Okafor, and trading for Ogabah sp? We could of had an impact rookie defensive player making about 2-4mil a year for 4yrs than 20+mil and 2 high draft picks for a player with the same amount of sacks as Dee Ford last season! Seattle knew they could replace him and get as much production at 1/4 the price! 

Wrong.  Seattle had a choice to make, either pay Russell Wilson or Frank Clark.  The QB gets the $ every time.

4 hours ago, Shadow said:

Agree 100%........I have moved on to rooting for his best years ever! 

13 minutes ago, dksww said:

Wrong.  Seattle had a choice to make, either pay Russell Wilson or Frank Clark.  The QB gets the $ every time.

That's going to happen with Mahomes, too...as it should.  We are going to lose someone huge for that.  Someone like Jones.  Still, those have to be done with a franchise QB.  There is something else Barnwell is overlooking in his opinion piece.  With a young building defense, the players need to be infused with a culture of nasty aggressiveness.  Barnwell is not looking at the attitude  that will carry over for years with other players and their style of playing. Another thing he may not be looking at is what will happen in Mahome's development when he finds that he does not have to score as fast as he can.  He will become a much better QB (if that is possible), by learning to "matriculate the ball down the field."  He can take his time and fewer risky throws and wear out defenses, if he knows he is likely to get back on the field quickly.  Mahomes needs more of that Alex Smith approach to make him complete.  Maybe a better example is that Tom Brady approach.

9 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

During the NFL free agency period, ESPN’s Bill Barnwell has been grading its significant moves. Now he’s weighed in on the trade between the Kansas City Chiefs and Seattle Seahawksthat brings Seahawks defensive end Frank Clark to the Chiefs in exchange for the Chiefs’ first-round pick on Thursday and the less valuable of the team’s two 2020 second-round picks. As part of the deal, the teams have also agreed to swap their third-round picks on Friday.

Barnwell thinks the trade has a clear winner. He’s given the Chiefs a D- for the trade, and the Seahawks a B.

Barnwell thinks the Chiefs gave up a lot in the deal.

When you calculate the value of each pick using Chase Stuart’s draft value chart, this trade values Clark at 21.1 points of draft capital, which is somewhere between the seventh and eighth overall selections in a typical draft. Most organizations would build in some level of a discount because the 2020 second-round pick is delayed compensation, but you get the idea.

Barnwell argues that because the Chiefs also had to negotiate a new contract with Clark as part of the deal — which has been reported to be for five years and $105 million — you have to consider the surplus value the Chiefs could have obtained by using that same draft capital to move up to the seventh or eighth pick and draft a player who might provide production far beyond his cost to acquire — using players like Roquan Smith, Christian McCaffrey and Jack Conklin as examples.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2019/4/24/18514086/espns-bill-barnwell-grades-the-frank-clark-trade-as-a-d-for-the-chiefs

Barnwell is a fucking moron.  You're not moving up to 7 or 8 with just 29 and a future 2nd.  29 and both current 2's aren't enough.

What a total fucking moron.

12 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Barnwell is a fucking moron.  You're not moving up to 7 or 8 with just 29 and a future 2nd.  29 and both current 2's aren't enough.

We moved up to 10th, 17 spots for Mahomes and it cost us the 1st, 3rd and 1st the following year. Wtf does he think we could move up 20 spots for a 1st and 2nd?

18 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

Plus, there are a lot of potentially great players still deep into the second round.  The round difference is an arbitrary dividing line.  There is no more difference between a 25 pick and a 31 pick than there is between a  44th pick and a 50th pick.  It is still a six pick difference.  For all practical purposes we would have been picking in the early second round, anyway, had we been picking at 29.  This is especially true when going for positions of need with a strong draft class at a position of need.  Now we will have Clark and our own mid to late second round. Barnwell really IS a moron.

16 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Yes, this is Brett Veach.  I'm calling about the 8th pick in the draft.  Hear me out on this.  We propose to give you the 29th pick for the 8th pick.  But wait there's more.  You also get next years 2nd round pick.  Deal?

To bad bill is not the gm of a team in the top 10

Barnwell is using the Chase Stuart chart which places less value on high 1st round picks and more value on day 2 picks.  And he's not even reading that chart correctly.  Using the Stuart chart wed be about the same place as the Jimmy Johnson chart.

The other thing is, while I personally prefer Stuart's chart, teams don't use it; they use variations on the Jimmy Johnson chart.  

And again, he didn't even read the Stuart chart correctly.

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

Yes, this is Brett Veach.  I'm calling about the 8th pick in the draft.  Hear me out on this.  We propose to give you the 29th pick for the 8th pick.  But wait there's more.  You also get next years 2nd round pick.  Deal?

You forgot that part where he adds “But we will need to swap third rounders with you and move up 8 spots.”

Question: if we know Pat, Jones. And Hill contracts are coming up; why didn't we frontload this contract so we take smaller hits in the future? Esp if we don't extent Jones or Hill this year? Why not give the guy a much higher base salary this year vs 905k, thus adding cap room in future years? Just curious. 

7 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Question: if we know Pat, Jones. And Hill contracts are coming up; why didn't we frontload this contract so we take smaller hits in the future? Esp if we don't extent Jones or Hill this year? Why not give the guy a much higher base salary this year vs 905k, thus adding cap room in future years? Just curious. 

I think KC is all in to WIN IT NOW vs building a dynasty. These moves are today moves and may put the future on thin ice. It may be REID wanting to go out as a Champion Now! 

12 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

We have plenty of cap next year and can make more cuts too. We also have a good amount in 2021. By then all the core players should be locked up and we should be looking at offensive line contracts for the most part.

13 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Gonna have to see how that signing bonus is spread out.  KC could of had the entire signing bonus cap hit be for this year thus making his 2019 cap hit $905k+$19M signing bonus=$19.905M.  We don't know yet BUT this would support the average annual salary of $20.8M.  I'd say the his cap hit will be AT LEAST $905k Base+$3.8M=$4.71M(spread the signing bonus out over 5 years to get the $3.8M).

MAYBE Veach plans to trade for another Vet like Peterson or Ramsey and needs some Cap room still for this year hahaha

9 minutes ago, xen said:

Negotiations are still ongoing the last few weeks for Chris Jones so I believe they wanted to maintain some flexibility this year.

Yeah, it could be that this will get Jones pumped so much, he might sign a long term contract for less just to get to play alongside Clark.  Clark's presence will provide incredible opportunities for Jones to dominate.  That could make Jones' following contract in several years incredible.

7 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yeah, it could be that this will get Jones pumped so much, he might sign a long term contract for less just to get to play alongside Clark.  Clark's presence will provide incredible opportunities for Jones to dominate.  That could make Jones' following contract in several years incredible.

and visa versa