Johnson Co. DA Press Conference on Tyreek HIll at 3:00

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 minute ago, dksww said:

but do we know what he can actually share with the Chiefs or NFL?  I mean the DA made it clear he wasn't allowed to share it with anyone and never called the  NFL back.

I don't know, I'm just saying you can't assume that Tyreek is bound by all the same rules that the DA and CPS are.  Just like my example with medical information and HIPAA.

This is really all semantics. Technically speaking Tyreek shouldnt be suspended without any proof he did anything. But Goodell thinks he can do whatever he wants and has proven it.  And most of the time his decisions stand in court. 

21 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Assumptions on both parts.  Not unreasonable assumptions, but assumptions.

Agree. Nearly everything involved here is an assumption. I just read Tyreeks attorneys statement that Tyreek waved his 5th Amendment rights and cooperated fully with both the police and child services. This is just a crazy ugly deal as far as I’m concerned and I’m not even positive what it is. Nobody is going to clear anything up for anyone. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26602962/chiefs-hill-working-hard-best-person-can

Kansas City Chiefs receiver Tyreek Hill, who will not face charges of child abuse, issued a statement Thursday saying he is "working hard to be the best person for my family and our community I can be."

"I love and support my family above anything," Hill said in the statement issued Thursday. "My son's health and happiness is my number one priority. I want to thank the Kansas City Chiefs, my attorneys, my agent and my union for supporting me through this. My focus remains on working hard to be the best person for my family and our community I can be, and the best player to help our team win."

ADVERTISEMENT

The Johnson County District Attorney's Office announced Wednesday that Hill and his fiancée, Crystal Espinal, will not be charged. District Attorney Stephen M. Howe said that although he believes a crime occurred, the evidence in the case doesn't clearly establish who committed the crime.

According to police reports, officers in Overland Park, Kansas, were called to Hill's home on March 14 to investigate an alleged battery in which a juvenile was a victim. Hill was not listed in the report, but Espinal was listed under "others involved."

Although Hill referred to his son in his statement, neither the district attorney's office nor police have identified the child referenced in the police reports.

Attorneys for Hill also released a statement Thursday, saying Hill has maintained he was "innocent of any crime" and that he has been cooperating with authorities.

"Contrary to some media reports, Tyreek cooperated with law enforcement, waived his Fifth Amendment rights, and answered questions from both law enforcement and DCF [Kansas Department of Children and Families]," Hill's attorneys said in the release. "Unfortunately, due to laws related to confidentiality, as much as he would like to, he cannot comment regarding specific allegations."

On Wednesday, Howe said officials were "deeply troubled" by the situation.

"[We] are concerned about the health and welfare of the child in question," Howe said. "We believe a crime has occurred. However, the evidence in this case does not conclusively establish who committed this crime."

Officers had previously been called to Hill's address March 5 to investigate a report of child abuse or neglect. Hill's name was listed on that report. According to Overland Park police, the case was closed three days later when prosecution was declined.

The Kansas Department of Children and Families has been investigating the alleged battery.

Hill is still subject to discipline by the NFL.

The Chiefs issued a comment late Wednesday acknowledging the district attorney's decision but declining further comment, citing the ongoing investigation by the Department for Children and Families.

Hill, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, caught 87 passes last season and ranked fourth in the NFL in both receiving yardage (1,479) and touchdown receptions (12).

While at Oklahoma State, Hill was convicted of domestic assault and battery after punching and choking his girlfriend. He was sentenced to three years of probation and ordered to undergo anger management classes. He was dismissed from OSU and finished his collegiate career at West Alabama.

He completed probation in 2018 and his conviction was dismissed

I would like to take one thing back, sort of:  in the statement from Hill's lawyers they claim he is bound by certain laws regarding confidentiality.  So that might be true, though I still suspect the authorities are bound to a higher standard of confidentiality than Hill is.

In any case, I wonder how it affects possible testimony before Goodell.

47 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

He has not "lost custody."  It's been reported that the son was removed from the home.  The DA would not confirm that, other than to say the child was safe.  It appears that there is an ongoing CPS process to determine what happens next.

" Hill and his fiancée, Crystal Espinal, lost custody of their son, per multiple reports, after Overland Park (Kan.) police started investigating two incidents that took place at the home Hill shares with Espinal. "-USATODAY

3 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

" Hill and his fiancée, Crystal Espinal, lost custody of their son, per multiple reports, after Overland Park (Kan.) police started investigating two incidents that took place at the home Hill shares with Espinal. "-USATODAY

Wording.  Depends on whether you take that to mean permanent or a temporary removal while the process is ongoing.

6 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Wording.  Depends on whether you take that to mean permanent or a temporary removal while the process is ongoing.

Going through alot of semantical gymnastics to "prove" his innocence.....

USA Today is pretty reputable paper- " Lorenzo Reyes is a national NFL reporter for USA TODAY Sports. His work has also been published for The New York Times, ESPN, CBS Sports and The Miami Herald among others. " you don't just get to throw out crap and hope it sticks. Unless you are the New York Times or Washington Post.😉

17 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

I would like to take one thing back, sort of:  in the statement from Hill's lawyers they claim he is bound by certain laws regarding confidentiality.  So that might be true, though I still suspect the authorities are bound to a higher standard of confidentiality than Hill is.

In any case, I wonder how it affects possible testimony before Goodell.

that's what I'm wondering as well.

He may need to have his lawyers present to explain. 

Just now, Handswarmer said:

Going through alot of semantical gymnastics to "prove" his innocence.....

USA Today is pretty reputable paper- " Lorenzo Reyes is a national NFL reporter for USA TODAY Sports. His work has also been published for The New York Times, ESPN, CBS Sports and The Miami Herald among others. " you don't just get to throw out crap and hope it sticks. Unless you are the New York Times or Washington Post.😉

Man what's it like to not understand nuance at all?  At no point have I know or even believe that Tyreek is innocent, and that's not the point of my post above.

Also, LOL at USA Today being more reputable than the NYT or WP.

1 hour ago, dksww said:

I wonder what information he can legally share with the NFL?

I can't imagine it being the case, but it kind of does seem like he can't say anything to anyone about it because it involves a minor.

Otherwise, we would have FULL details on everything that happened.

That is a real good question.

1) The CBA spells out that he is required to work with NFL investigators or face consequences

2) Because a child is involved, there is a legal reason he is not allowed to communicate certain aspects of the investigation

Looking at it from this perspective, I don't think the NFL could suspend Hill at this moment in time even if they think the NFL shield is being tarnished. Hill could legally incriminate himself with other charges by divulging information he is legally not allowed to. Therefore if the NFL suspended him indefinitely for not cooperating with them, he could sue the NFL because the NFL's contract does not supersede the letter of the law.

9 minutes ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

WHY ARE YOU POSTING IN ALL CAPS?

10 minutes ago, Chiefswinitall said:

I HOPE YOU ALL KNOW HIS TIME IS LIMITED HERE.  HE'S NOT GETTING A BIG F___ING GUARANTEED CONTRACT.

I AM WONDERING IF HE HAS ANY TRADE VALUE TODAY.  KEEP AN EYE OPEN.

tenor.gif

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

They lost temporary custody. That's all we know. Whether he's back in their possession or not the DA said he could not comment on. I'm assuming he's not as the final ruling in family court is apparently coming in the next few weeks. None of this matters though as its all sealed. 

7 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

They are in the Family Court process with that and the son was removed from Tyreek and his fiancés house in the interim. The entire thing is sealed so literally nobody knows who’s not part of the investigation. And since the criminal investigation is closed we may never know. And that includes the league.  

Its pretty simple. They think either Tyreek or the fiancé broke the kids arm. But they don’t have the evidence to prove which it was. This unfortunately is a very typical result in situations like this. 

Yes.  This is typical.

Archived