Draft reviews

liquidfriend

Picks I liked:

Jaguars - Josh Allen was a fantastic add for that Defense and they can now move Telvin Smith and still upgrade

Bills - Ed Oliver is a great add at 9, especially with Brady in your division.

Steelers - Devin Bush will be a great player for them, and they moved up at a bargain rate

Redskins - They didn't panic and still got what they wanted and Montez Sweat at the end of Round 1 is a steal.  Colts were stupid to not just take Sweat themselves.

Did not like:

Falcons - Reached twice and I have no idea why they felt they had to trade back into the Round 1 for McGary.  They have no idea what the fuck they are doing.

Seahawks - They passed up on great talent to add a bunch of middling picks and massively reached with the single first round pick they made.

Packers - They had 2 chances to get it right and blew it both times.  Trading up for Savage?  Fucking why lmao

Texans - Talk about a panic reach.  This is one of those picks where people will claim teams know more than the people do and the player will promptly fail.

Raiders - The Raiders suffered through a god awful 4-12 year and traded away 2 pillars of that franchise and the media sucked them off all winter long on how those 3 picks would give them 3 elite guys.  In return they took a guy that they could of had at 24, reached for a RB in a passing league and took a safety that Patrick Mahomes is going to pick apart.  This draft would have been worth the suffering if they had gone...lets say Ed Oliver, Clelin Ferrell or Montez Sweat and a safety that can actually excel at covering

The David Gettleman is senile and should be placed in a retirement home category:

The Giants.  lmao

Totally disgusting and shameful category:

ESPN for totally whitewashing a guy that assaulted a woman

Preliminary look, I'd give this Chiefs class a C. 

-Thornhill and Saunders is a nice back to back selection for them.  These 2 guys are gonna be cogs on that Defense.

-I don't really understand the panic to secure Hardman.  Plenty of quality options were still on the board and looking at the aftermath, the Chiefs really needed that 5th round pick, and I'm not entirely certain how ready Hardman will be to contribute right away.  This is gonna make or break the whole class and possibly the Chiefs season, so Brett Veach better be right on this one.

-They missed out on adding someone like Hunter Renfrow, Amani Oruwariye, Ross Pierschbacher, Mack Wilson, Blake Cashman, Charles Omenihu, Vosean Joseph or Foster Moreau so they could trade for Reggie Ragland.  Now we know the final result.  That one really stings.

-The panic move up struck them out of Kaden Smith, Trayveon Williams and Dexter Williams.

- Frank Clark was an overspend, but will be a quality player for us.

-I really don't have any way to put into words the concept of skipping on taking a Tight End at any point.

I don't dislike any of the picks, but I think they fell well short of completing the roster to make that Super Bowl run.  They've still got some rather major holes and are running out of options to patch them up.  Better class than last years for sure.

I thought it was a good draft.  Have no issue at all with moving up.  If Veach thought he needed to for the player they wanted, that’s good enough for me.  

I don’t know what the problem is with not taking a TE.  Is Harris’ production that vital to replace?  

I would have liked to have seen a corner early instead of receiver.  We can thank Tyreek for screwing that up.

Still time before the season to get one.  If not, roll with what we have. The secondary is already better than last year.

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

I thought it was a good draft.  Have no issue at all with moving up.  If Veach thought he needed to for the player they wanted, that’s good enough for me.  

I don’t know what the problem is with not taking a TE.  Is Harris’ production that vital to replace?  

I would have liked to have seen a corner early instead of receiver.  We can thank Tyreek for screwing that up.

Still time before the season to get one.  If not, roll with what we have. The secondary is already better than last year.

If Kelce goes down they don't have any receiving types of TE's.  It's a problem.

2 hours ago, SEMO said:

. The secondary is already better than last year.

The safeties, 100% better.  The corners?  Where's the upgrade at an already weak position.  The Chiefs have to go dumpster diving for a corner again and it better work out better than last season. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The safeties, 100% better.  The corners?  Where's the upgrade at an already weak position.  The Chiefs have to go dumpster diving for a corner again and it better work out better than last season. 

I disagree. 

Have faith ward. He looks like the real deal.

and Breeland is hardly a bum. If healthy, he’s a baller.

fuller, ward, Breeland, Watts, badger, Thornhill, Lucas, ... looks good to me

12 hours ago, Calichief said:

I disagree. 

That's three corners, one of whom had problems staying healthy in the past seasons.  They will have to get another and hope Ward grows better, Breeland plays all 16 games, and nothing happens to Fuller.  Not sure how they'll use the safeties.  We'll probably see three on the field at the same time but with Lucas and Watts fighting for PT and if Thornhill can get up to speed quickly, Sorenson is gone.  Let's just hope they don't try to convert Thornhill into the fourth corner. 

On 4/28/2019 at 8:06 AM, Calichief said:

I disagree. 

Ward showed some promise as a rookie but not a proven guy yet. We went through that once with Marcus Cooper so I'm just hopeful for Ward now, and if he turns out to be the real deal that will be awesome. We have 1 more outside guy in Breeland who hasn't been healthy for years so there's a lot of risk there.

I think we'll be fine at Safety. HB is a good fit and we have guys like Lucas and Watts to compliment as well as Thornhill. However unless some Safeties are versatile enough to play CB we don't even have enough guys for a decent depth even if everyone is healthy. 

On 4/30/2019 at 7:14 AM, sith13 said:

Ward showed some promise as a rookie but not a proven guy yet. We went through that once with Marcus Cooper so I'm just hopeful for Ward now, and if he turns out to be the real deal that will be awesome. We have 1 more outside guy in Breeland who hasn't been healthy for years so there's a lot of risk there.

I think we'll be fine at Safety. HB is a good fit and we have guys like Lucas and Watts to compliment as well as Thornhill. However unless some Safeties are versatile enough to play CB we don't even have enough guys for a decent depth even if everyone is healthy. 

Thornhill is capable of playing corner, but they've got him penciled in at FS.

18 hours ago, liquidfriend said:

Thornhill is capable of playing corner, but they've got him penciled in at FS.

Drafting a guy out of position just doesn't make sense in most cases.  Thornhill has played a little CB and it's been reported that that's not his forte.  If he couldn't dominate there in college, how can he be expected to beat the best in the NFL?  Something was said about his hip turning or adjusting to moves or some such.  Don't know if it's true or not, but the Chiefs shouldn't be relying on Thornhill to play CB.  They need to find another one. 

8 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Drafting a guy out of position just doesn't make sense in most cases.  Thornhill has played a little CB and it's been reported that that's not his forte.  If he couldn't dominate there in college, how can he be expected to beat the best in the NFL?  Something was said about his hip turning or adjusting to moves or some such.  Don't know if it's true or not, but the Chiefs shouldn't be relying on Thornhill to play CB.  They need to find another one. 

They’re not relying on him to play corner, other than last resort.  He will play FS.  

4 hours ago, SEMO said:

They’re not relying on him to play corner, other than last resort.  He will play FS.  

So that's my point.  Thornhill playing CB would be a desperation move and the Chiefs should avoid that by finding a real CB. 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

So that's my point.  Thornhill playing CB would be a desperation move and the Chiefs should avoid that by finding a real CB. 

Depends on who he's covering.  Tight ends, RBs and even some WRs, he'll do well.  Dude has skills.

8 hours ago, reesebobby said:

Fuller, Nelson, Ward, Matheiu, and Thornhill with Watts back also seems like a much better defensive backfield than the shit show we trucked out there last year. 

Nelson?  Maybe you meant Breeland and I'll agree that they're better than last year when all are healthy.  That doesn't mean the Chiefs can get by with only three CBs, one of whom has little experience and another who has trouble staying on the field.  A fourth corner is vital to the team's chances of having an average or better defense. 

Archived