Mecole Hardman

11 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I thought I read that his hands were not elite.  He has his share of drops.  But a lot of that can be trained out.  He will probably start as a kick returner and will be immediately excellent at that.  It will be at least a year before he plays at WR except in an emergency or a late sub in a game where we are way ahead.

This is a second round pick with a huge set of shoes to fill when Tyreek is released. There is no way that this guy is not very involved in our offense in 2019. We dont have the luxury or depth to use a second round pick on a guy and have him wait "at least a year" to become a part of our offense.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I thought I read that his hands were not elite.  He has his share of drops.  But a lot of that can be trained out.  He will probably start as a kick returner and will be immediately excellent at that.  It will be at least a year before he plays at WR except in an emergency or a late sub in a game where we are way ahead.

There's a very good chance for him to get PT this season.  Without Hill, he only has to beat out Robinson, Kemp, Dieter, and Pringle.  Not an impossible task for a guy with his skills, and Andy and Veach will want to showcase him if at all possible to get everyone's mind off what's missing with Hill. 

Just now, Iluvhouse24 said:

This is a second round pick with a huge set of shoes to fill when Tyreek is released. There is no way that this guy is not very involved in our offense in 2019. We dont have the luxury or depth to use a second round pick on a guy and have him wait "at least a year" to become a part of our offense.

Tyreek had to learn his routes for a year.  He was a star kick returner and then started getting used more and more at WR.  We will see him this year as a sub at WR just like Hill.  He can be used to stretch the field and will be tested as a target sometimes.  Mostly he will be given at shot at WR when we have a fairly safe lead.

Just now, Fmbl2187 said:

Tyreek had to learn his routes for a year.  He was a star kick returner and then started getting used more and more at WR.  We will see him this year as a sub at WR just like Hill.  He can be used to stretch the field and will be tested as a target sometimes.  Mostly he will be given at shot at WR when we have a fairly safe lead.

Tyreek hill was a 5th round pick who played predominantly at RB in college. But whatever. If you think that hes gonna be brought along at a snail's pace, that's your prerogative. 

I read this morning in AP that he is being compared to a possible Devin Hester.  That seems closer to the truth. He will be a great asset for Toub this year but may always be the primary kick returner and will cause great damage to opponents there.

32 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Reid will have some packages drawn up for him.

36 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

It’ll be like Tyreek year one in my opinion as this guy is raw too.   Quick screens, jet sweeps, deep posts and special teams returner.  Can’t see any way he’s a legit starter though. I think we still need a veteran. Our O is gonna take a hit. But maybe our D can make up for it. 

40 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

We are one Sammy Watkins Injury away from DRob and M Kemp as our starting wrs.   That’s a little scary

No doubt it is! Wouldn't be as scary if we had Campbell, Metcalf, Butler, or Whiteside instead of Hardman! Guess we didnt learn from the last Bulldog receiver we took!

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Tyreek hill was a 5th round pick who played predominantly at RB in college. But whatever. If you think that hes gonna be brought along at a snail's pace, that's your prerogative. 

Seems like I must not have worded my post well.  I said that he would be used immediately and extensively at kick returner and would get some snaps at WR.  But I never implied he was gong to be brought along at a "snails pace." Hill didn't get many reps at WR his first year if you recall.  Playing extensively at WR his second year is pretty quick, not a "snail's pace."  He will be an immediate boost at KR.  I hope that was clearer as an opinion. No matter how good someone might be, in the NFL it takes some time to learn your routes.  Also, I think he will probably be more of a slot receiver eventually.  He is an Albert Wilson type player. He's not a tall, lanky, long armed guy who can contest catches.  He is an intermediate and short route player who can turn on a dime and get separation in narrow windows that Mahomes can hit. He will also be good as a runner on end arounds with his speed and will do that his first year. He will be an immediate replacement for Hill on those plays.

I'm surprised with this pick since there were more "established" prospects still available on board. I guess they like some aspects of his game. Looking at the highlights he definitely has potential but not sure if he's a day one contributor at anything other than returns but who knows. Speed always has value in the new less physical NFL. 

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Kid has speed.  I imagine his early contributions will be "run as fast as you can towards the end zone and hopefully you can catch up to Mahomes cannon". 

2 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

No TE or big bodied Receiver drafted. Can that Kelvin Benjamen make an impact?

His hands could not be worse than Demetrius Harris'.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Is Pringle fast?  He looked good pre season last year, but I don't remember what role he really played.  

I know that a bag of Pringles goes pretty fast.

8 hours ago, xen said:

I think they made the right decision.  Parris has shitty hands, Metcalf is meh and while I love me some Isabella, I like Mecoles chances at staying healthy more.

Campbell has great hands... he only had a real QB for one season. Dude's a blazer... and will be a hell of a weapon in front of Luck

He's a bit faster and has slightly better combine #s but mecoles is more compact and stronger which could give him the edge in durability

That said, Campbell BLEW UP the #1 and #4 ranked defenses in the NCAA in the last two college games... absolutely tore michigan a new one 6 rec for 192 yds and 2 TDs... and  running jet sweeps right out of the Reid playbook with Hill

Campbell always played big in big games which is what we need on the Chiefs

Both of them are great picks, both will be studs

Archived