Mecole Hardman

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Several folks wondering why they took Hardman over a guy like Campbell. In my mind it is quite simple....Reid and Veach know Tyreek is probably gone. They like the skill set he provided for Mahomes plus the kick return game. So they looked at the board and said, "Which player most closely approximates what we have in Tyreek." I don't think it gets much more complicated than that. Hardman was lasered at 4.27. There is film of him blowing by some pretty fast corners. He scored the only 2 TD's in the semi final game against Alabama. One of those was an 80 yard pass play. Does he need work? Yes. Am I confident Andy and Co. will develop this guy? Yes.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:08 PM, xen said:

Actually I think Mecole probably would have been gone where we picked.  Best combination of speed and quickness at receiver in this draft. Kid is a hands catcher as well.  He may be on the smaller side but he's rocked up and tough.  Transitions to a runner is almost instant and dude has speed to burn.  Criminally underused in college in that run first and second offense.

I am guessing you haven't see Marquise Brown play.....

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

I am guessing you haven't see Marquise Brown play.....

Quite a bit actually.  I live in Oklahoma yo.  He'll get broken in half eventually with his build and Hardman has been timed faster than the faster 40 I've seen from Brown.  They both have route issues, but Brown is further on in his development. 

I do like him as a player.  Not necessarily with the running QB, but still, good player.  The injury concerns are real though.  His weight is in the bottom 1% of NFL wideouts.

13 minutes ago, xen said:

Quite a bit actually.  I live in Oklahoma yo.  He'll get broken in half eventually with his build and Hardman has been timed faster than the faster 40 I've seen from Brown.  They both have route issues, but Brown is further on in his development. 

I do like him as a player.  Not necessarily with the running QB, but still, good player.  The injury concerns are real though.  His weight is in the bottom 1% of NFL wideouts.

Tyreek Hill 5' 10" 185 lbs

Marquis Brown 5' 10" 168 lbs

Not that he can't bulk up.....

2 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Not sure how much he can bulk up.  Tyreek and Hardman are built more like a running back.  Brown is very wiry.  You should also be concerned about that Lisfranc.  It has ruined more than 1 career.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

I watch a ton of Big 12 football and obviously OU dominates this league so I'll bet I saw 80 percent of Hollywoods games over the past two years. He's a lightning rod for sure. And unlike Hardman he's much more polished so they can likely get quite a bit out of him as a WR much quicker. Fun player who will play through pain as the most recent injury proves. That said, his body type of competely different than Tyreek who's built like a RB and I'm pretty confident he's gonna have some injury issues because of it. And that dreaded foot injury is always a red flag to me. Just ask Sammy Watkins.

He also played around the absolute best oline and QBs in college football the last two years which inflate the stats to some extent. Solid draft pick though. And what we know for sure if you want offensive players, look for them in the Big 12. 

19 minutes ago, xen said:

Not sure how much he can bulk up.  Tyreek and Hardman are built more like a running back.  Brown is very wiry.  You should also be concerned about that Lisfranc.  It has ruined more than 1 career.

True but he played thru it in the Big 12 Championship game

18 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Name someone with his skill set and speed.  I don't think there was, Jet.  There is a reason Toub was ecstatic.  They had their eye on him and moved up to get him. They were not impressed with Tre Smith last year, and neither was I.

Parris Campbell pretty much same speed, DK Metcalf pretty much same speed none of the 3 can run the whole route tree yet but both better receivers than Hardman could've took one of them and saved the 5th rd pick

10 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Interesting Las Vegas has Hollywood Brown the 25th pick and Mecole Hardman the 56th pick both listed at 10-1 for NFL offensive rookie of the year. 

I honestly don't care what Vegas thinks.....its all a crap shoot.

People in here have said "Oh, Brown benefited from Top Notch Qb's and Oline play so his stats were inflated"---->>same could be said for hardman playing with the League MVP and only 1 off 2 intact Olines from last year.

I like the plays that Brown makes- I like the way he makes people miss. He takes a 7yd dump off and turns it into a 70 yd TD sprint. He's a playmaker and I like the pick.

There are nine teams who have never had an OROY winner: Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers, and Seattle Seahawks

53 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

People in here have said "Oh, Brown benefited from Top Notch Qb's and Oline play so his stats were inflated"---->>same could be said for hardman playing with the League MVP and only 1 off 2 intact Olines from last year.

I like the plays that Brown makes- I like the way he makes people miss. He takes a 7yd dump off and turns it into a 70 yd TD sprint. He's a playmaker and I like the pick.

There are nine teams who have never had an OROY winner: Baltimore Ravens, Cleveland Browns, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets, Philadelphia Eagles, San Francisco 49ers, and Seattle Seahawks

As I said Brown is a much more advanced actual WR than Hardman who is clearly still raw. Hardman was compared to Devin Hester by the best in the business Dave Toub and I think that's how he will be used as a rookie whereas Brown should start from Day one at WR. I think the odds above totally reflect our superiority at QB more than anything. In fact if the oddsmakers considered how complex Andy's offense are for even seasoned WRs, they probably wouldn't have posted those odds. All things considered if I had to bet on a OROY guy it wouldnt be either of these. N Harry is probably the best WR candidate at 16-1. Jacobs at 9-1 is probably the best bet.  It's Kylers to lose though. 

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

Parris Campbell pretty much same speed, DK Metcalf pretty much same speed none of the 3 can run the whole route tree yet but both better receivers than Hardman could've took one of them and saved the 5th rd pick

I am guessing Hardman was picked, because we need a dominant kick returner.  He also has terrific hands...apparently. 

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

To bad Mahomes did not count after sitting a year or we would have. On the flip side we have had 4 defensive rookie if the year players.

58 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Hardmann ran crap routes in practice said Reid but he imp[roved every day.

Awesome.

Hill was the same way. Like Veach said, you can teach routes but cant teach speed. Not verbatim but his gist of it.

44 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Hill was the same way. Like Veach said, you can teach routes but cant teach speed. Not verbatim but his gist of it.

Yep.  Give him a year or two.  He will never have the play speed of Hill, but no one does.

Let's review:

-Reid wanted Hardmann

-The Offense is set up for Hardmann / Hill

-MVP is distributing the ball

-TE is a All Pro

-Sammy Watkins is the other WR.

That's enough for me until they put the pads on

w

Archived