Something bugging me

Need to get this out. I think that Tryreek Hill pretty much cost us a chance to upgrade our CB group. Along with LB, I think these 2 positional groups are by far our weakest areas.

The Chiefs have made some nice additions via UDFA, and I really like the addition of the LB from Texas, and the CB from Clemson.

But going back to the Hill thing. I dont think there is any way in hell the Chiefs move up and draft Tyreek 2.0 if it wasn't for this situation. CBs like Long, Layne, Dean, Johnson, Marshall all went off the board in rd 3 and 4. I find it really hard to believe we wouldnt have taken a CB somewhere in our first 3 picks were it not for this impending suspension to Hill. 

I think we still have a very porous group of corners and if Ward doesnt progress, we're pretty much fucked at this position. 

Am I wrong?

I think it was happening regardless.  They didn't really have a great candidate to work in the slot Tyreek or not as DRob really isn't ideal to work in that role.

But you're 100% right about the CB situation.  Having Layne go to the Steelers right before us was a total crusher.  My first thought when Thornhill's named got called was if he would be playing corner or not

P.S. The TE depth chart is something from a horror movie.  Don't look directly at it.

Reasonable enough...but I think Mahomes works with Mecole and teaches him what to do when plays breakdown (when Pat scrambles), that shit could be magical. 

I feel you on the D concerns, but I think our corners are going to surprise people and play much better with a legit scheme. 

50 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

I think it was happening regardless.  They didn't really have a great candidate to work in the slot Tyreek or not as DRob really isn't ideal to work in that role.

But you're 100% right about the CB situation.  Having Layne go to the Steelers right before us was a total crusher.  My first thought when Thornhill's named got called was if he would be playing corner or not

P.S. The TE depth chart is something from a horror movie.  Don't look directly at it.

They like Bell as a blocking TE. But yeah as far as a second TE who is any kind of receiving threat...oof. 

We have close to 30 million in cap space after June 1st if we cut Sorensen and Williams.   I fully expect Veach to sign a couple 1 yr prove it deals to shore up the secondary and add another offensive weapon.   Also wouldn't surprise me if he isn't done making trades.   

But I totally agree with the OP.   Hill has turned what should have been an exciting and encouraging offseason into somewhat of a nightmare.    

1 hour ago, ChiefThunder said:

I think we'll be okay on the back end simply because our CBs won't be asked to play man.

They'll play some man, just not nearly as much.  But nobody plays as much man as Werthers.  Specifically Spags likes to play a pattern match zone, which means you're either man or zone depending on the route.  So if you're guy hits a go route, for instance, you man him up, but an inside breaking route gets rubbed off to zone.  That's the simple version but you get the picture.  But he definitely mixes in man and even press man.  With two chess pieces like honey badger and now Thornhill, we'll see a lot of different coverage shells, of course depending on what we can ask of this corner group.  

25 minutes ago, xen said:

They'll play some man, just not nearly as much.  But nobody plays as much man as Werthers.  Specifically Spags likes to play a pattern match zone, which means you're either man or zone depending on the route.  So if you're guy hits a go route, for instance, you man him up, but an inside breaking route gets rubbed off to zone.  That's the simple version but you get the picture.  But he definitely mixes in man and even press man.  With two chess pieces like honey badger and now Thornhill, we'll see a lot of different coverage shells, of course depending on what we can ask of this corner group.  

Thanks for clarifying Haha. 

34 minutes ago, xen said:

Yeah nothing won't be plain Jane like werthers.

3 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

We have close to 30 million in cap space after June 1st if we cut Sorensen and Williams.   I fully expect Veach to sign a couple 1 yr prove it deals to shore up the secondary and add another offensive weapon.   Also wouldn't surprise me if he isn't done making trades.   

But I totally agree with the OP.   Hill has turned what should have been an exciting and encouraging offseason into somewhat of a nightmare.    

He really has. I mean only the Chiefs would have 2 players both top 5 at their position, both under 25 years old, go full thug and be forced to release both. The second rounder we used on Hardman would have gotten a nice CB to rotate in, and the 5th we used to move up could have netted a TE we could groom. Hill fucked us. 

I think Hardman was a high value target regardless of the Tyreek situation.  Agree with LF here.  You know what my daddy always used to say, the only thing better than a crawfish dinner is 2 crawfish dinners.  (cue the Jerry Reed music).

New England just got better IMO. They got a big bodied receiver in the late 1st and the kid from Michigan as an outside rusher has annoying Patriot written all over him.  Raiders will surprise some cats as well. It's not gonna be a cake walk for Mahomes this year. I'm concerned about the Hill situation which is why I thought we could have drafted Metcalf to supplement. Instead we reached for the kid from Georgia who is like DAT with better receiving skills. Time will tell - Our 2nd TE spot and OLB were not really addressed. I like the DT out of Western ILL, that boy is gonna ball out and start by mid season. 

It is too early to tell. We had to essentially rebuild the entire defense and we did sign a CB and draft one. There will be more bodies to bring in and workout as well. I don’t think it is all doom and gloom and we may be better at every level except linebacker unless the existing guys adopt the new system better.

Tyreek is obviously a selfish self-serving individual who doesn’t care about anyone but himself. It is better we pay for his mistake for one year now than have signed him to a mega deal and had to deal with the fallout down the road and potentially long term financially.

We will get LB and the 2nd TE from cuts. I am not worried as we had so much to do this year with the switch to 4-3. Veach has been great. Cutting bad contracts, signing or trading for guys that are younger and healthier that fit our 43. Creating cap space even while he did all of this and setting us up even better, imo, in the draft. Doing all of this has me confident he can find the last couple of guys easily. Next year we have pick again, FA to go for if we want and have plenty of cap space too. We are looking good for now and the future.

2 hours ago, xen said:

I think Hardman was a high value target regardless of the Tyreek situation.  Agree with LF here.  You know what my daddy always used to say, the only thing better than a crawfish dinner is 2 crawfish dinners.  (cue the Jerry Reed music).

What was Hardman projected before entering the draft?

3 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

What was Hardman projected before entering the draft?

Some notes from different sites. Looks like mid 2nd to round 3 from most I read on. If the Colts had interest as stated before in another thread, then we did right going up and getting him if it was indeed our guy we had as bpa.

Raw but explosive with burst to uncover underneath and a second gear to threaten over the top. Hardman is a relative newcomer to the position and it shows up at times in routes and his struggles competing for the ball in traffic. Hardman could develop into a lesser version of Tyreek Hill with his playmaking potential after the catch, on deep balls and as a returner. Speed kills in today's game and Hardman's could be coveted on Day 2 (Rounds 2-3).

Hardman is one of the most electric weapons in the NFL Draft class. He uses his speed and fluidity to stretch the field from the slot, showing promise on deep balls. Additionally, his ability in space can be utilized in the RPO game. Hardman’s field vision and elusiveness allow him to be one of the best kick and punt return prospects in the NFL Draft. Hardman had just mediocre production, which was likely due to the talent surrounding him on Georgia’s offense. He projects as a better professional receiver than college, an an NFL team may be able to better utilize his ability. After the NFL Combine, I expect Hardman to be considered on Day 2 of the NFL Draft.

56 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

We will get LB and the 2nd TE from cuts. I am not worried as we had so much to do this year with the switch to 4-3. Veach has been great. Cutting bad contracts, signing or trading for guys that are younger and healthier that fit our 43. Creating cap space even while he did all of this and setting us up even better, imo, in the draft. Doing all of this has me confident he can find the last couple of guys easily. Next year we have pick again, FA to go for if we want and have plenty of cap space too. We are looking good for now and the future.

Nah.  He traded a 5th and reached for a receiver.  He's dogshit.🙄

Those picks are usually all world, ya know.

The only thing we know about draft rankings is they are wrong. They never, ever accurately predict a players success with any regularity.

Otherwise Kielce what not have been passed on 62 times. Hunt passed on 85 times. Phillip Lindsay passed on in every round. 

Its a crap shoot and the experts and teams are clueless. All they can do is find a skill set they like and cross their fingers. 

Archived