Something bugging me

16 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Need to get this out. I think that Tryreek Hill pretty much cost us a chance to upgrade our CB group. Along with LB, I think these 2 positional groups are by far our weakest areas.

The Chiefs have made some nice additions via UDFA, and I really like the addition of the LB from Texas, and the CB from Clemson.

But going back to the Hill thing. I dont think there is any way in hell the Chiefs move up and draft Tyreek 2.0 if it wasn't for this situation. CBs like Long, Layne, Dean, Johnson, Marshall all went off the board in rd 3 and 4. I find it really hard to believe we wouldnt have taken a CB somewhere in our first 3 picks were it not for this impending suspension to Hill. 

I think we still have a very porous group of corners and if Ward doesnt progress, we're pretty much fucked at this position. 

Am I wrong?

I think Breeland is capable of playing near a Nelson level.  Fuller should improve as we can hopefully keep him in the slot more where he’s really good. Ward is a wild card who’s flashed. Reasor is interesting but you can’t pin any legit 2019 expectations as its more about hope. Same with Tremon Smith.  Thornhill is going to help the secondary with much needed speed but I think he’s more free safety dime corner based on what I’m reading. Sorry for rambling. 

Final analysis right now is our overall secondary is improved but not nearly enough without another legit corner.  And any depth at corner is based on hope.  

17 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Need to get this out. I think that Tryreek Hill pretty much cost us a chance to upgrade our CB group. Along with LB, I think these 2 positional groups are by far our weakest areas.

The Chiefs have made some nice additions via UDFA, and I really like the addition of the LB from Texas, and the CB from Clemson.

But going back to the Hill thing. I dont think there is any way in hell the Chiefs move up and draft Tyreek 2.0 if it wasn't for this situation. CBs like Long, Layne, Dean, Johnson, Marshall all went off the board in rd 3 and 4. I find it really hard to believe we wouldnt have taken a CB somewhere in our first 3 picks were it not for this impending suspension to Hill. 

I think we still have a very porous group of corners and if Ward doesnt progress, we're pretty much fucked at this position. 

Am I wrong?

I think you are right about drafting the fast WR/KR. It changed the draft, but we are a lot better off with Hill gone in the offseason than in mid season, so it was smart and lucky he was on the board.  They won the bet by moving up to get him. I wish we would have picked up another pass catching TE.  But wishes won't cut it. As long has he stays clean, Clark is a huge upgrade.  The pundits keep talking like they merely changed out one pass rusher for another with a checkered past and overpaid.s  How these people can be considered pundit sports writers is beyond me.  Ford stank against the run, and Clark is great against the run.  He is a huge upgrade for us in that sense alone, plus  his contract is front loaded.  Another thing he provides that Ford didn't is just plain nasty strength.  He makes OT's pay in pain, throughout the game, until they are worn out and sore. Ford couldn't do that. He just flew past guys with a good move or two.  Clark pancakes them and then kicks sand in their faces.  As for WR, we can merely cross our fingers regarding injuries  and hope that Mahomes builds great timing and chemistry during camp with Pringle and Dieter and continues to mesh with Robinson. I also really like this Thornhill who will play immediately.  Along with Mathieu and Sorenson, they all have huge versatility and can move anywhere, enabling the disguising of coverages and can move up to play the run.

I like the late round choices for the most part. The OG is apparently great in pass protection and moves around really well.

I also like guys who weigh 340 and can do a backflip, whether they play football or not.

4 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Along with Mathieu and Sorenson, they all have huge versatility and can move anywhere, enabling the disguising of coverages and can move up to play the run.

All good points but I question the above quote.  Do you really think Sorenson has a role any more?  HB, Watts, Lucas, and Thornhill are locks and any of them would have started last season for the Chiefs if here and/or healthy.  Sorenson probably has no trade value and should just be released. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

All good points but I question the above quote.  Do you really think Sorenson has a role any more?  HB, Watts, Lucas, and Thornhill are locks and any of them would have started last season for the Chiefs if here and/or healthy.  Sorenson probably has no trade value and should just be released. 

The old man loved having his veterans around but in reality I think Lucas was more deserving of the starting role in the backfield. Sorensen is definitely not worth his keep but I'm not sure what Spags thinks of him. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

I was going to make a smart ass lb comment...then I realized that dumbass is gone.

These are the draft losers.

Daniel Sorensen and Jordan Lucas

The Chiefs’ second-round pick, Juan Thornhill, has a legitimate opportunity to start, especially with the Chiefs already comparing him to Tyrann Mathieu. Brett Veach went as far as to use Daniel Sorensen’s name when describing what Thornhill can do. Thornhill will provide training camp competition for Sorensen and considering cap numbers, Sorensen could be cut if the Chiefs like what they see.

Tanoh Kpassagnon

The Chiefs added the likes of Alex Okafor and Emmanuel Ogbah on the edge this offseason to go along with Breeland Speaks, Brett Veach’s top pick from last year.

The addition of defensive end Frank Clark likely seals the fate of the former second-round pick, who I’d guess swaps his Kansas City red and gold for Cleveland orange and brown before September’s end.

Xavier Williams

In the same vein, the Chiefs love what they have in Chris Jones and Derrick Nnadi along the interior of the defensive line, and the third-round pick of the athletic Khalen Saunders may make Xavier Williams the odd man out.

“We looked at that defensive line right after the draft and we were all smiling,” Brett Veach said.

Darrel Williams

Life just got a little bit more complicated for Darrel Williams, who the Chiefs signed as an undrafted free agent just last year. The Chiefs are committed to Damien Williams as their top back and they brought in veteran Carlos Hyde this offseason. The addition of Darwin Thompson means more competition at a position in which Andy Reid’s final-roster quantity numbers vary by year.

“This kid is really put together,” Chiefs scout Trey Koziol said of Thompson. “I think when you see him in the building, he is a real rocked-up dude. I thought he had really good strength and really good contact balance. He runs with a low center of gravity. That is one of the things that the guys at Utah State mentioned. He was pound for pound probably the strongest kids in their program, just in terms of his lower body strength. His ability to work through contact and then obviously he has really quick feet and an ability to make people miss out in space as well. So, they run a spread offense, kind of an air raid style offense, so when you get a guy who has the ability to break tackles and does have very good contact balance and lower body strength out in the open field.

Tremon Smith

While the Mecole Hardman pick may be the worst news for Tyreek Hill (see below), it isn’t good for Tremon Smith either. Smith carved out a role as the team’s kick returner last year and that will now be given to Hardman, who the Chiefs have already compared to Devin Hester.

“[Dave Toub] was ecstatic,” Brett Veach said. “He is by far the best punt and kick returner in the draft and, again, it’s hard to turn down that kind of speed. When you have a quarterback like Pat Mahomes you want to give him as many weapons as possible.”

Moving to the cornerback room, we know the Chiefs have Kendall Fuller, Bashaud Breelandand Charvarius Ward already ahead of Smith. Enter Keith Reaser, Rashad Fenton and Mark Fields into the picture. Smith will be up against it in training camp.

Tyreek Hill

This one almost goes without saying. Off the field, things couldn’t be worse, and many feel his days are numbered as a Chiefs wide receiver and perhaps even an NFL player. The Chiefs drafted his replacement with their top pick.

•  

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I think you are right about drafting the fast WR/KR. It changed the draft, but we are a lot better off with Hill gone in the offseason than in mid season, so it was smart and lucky he was on the board.  They won the bet by moving up to get him. I wish we would have picked up another pass catching TE.  But wishes won't cut it. As long has he stays clean, Clark is a huge upgrade.  The pundits keep talking like they merely changed out one pass rusher for another with a checkered past and overpaid.s  How these people can be considered pundit sports writers is beyond me.  Ford stank against the run, and Clark is great against the run.  He is a huge upgrade for us in that sense alone, plus  his contract is front loaded.  Another thing he provides that Ford didn't is just plain nasty strength.  He makes OT's pay in pain, throughout the game, until they are worn out and sore. Ford couldn't do that. He just flew past guys with a good move or two.  Clark pancakes them and then kicks sand in their faces.  As for WR, we can merely cross our fingers regarding injuries  and hope that Mahomes builds great timing and chemistry during camp with Pringle and Dieter and continues to mesh with Robinson. I also really like this Thornhill who will play immediately.  Along with Mathieu and Sorenson, they all have huge versatility and can move anywhere, enabling the disguising of coverages and can move up to play the run.

I like the late round choices for the most part. The OG is apparently great in pass protection and moves around really well.

I also like guys who weigh 340 and can do a backflip, whether they play football or not.

Agree the timing of this at least let us address it in the draft.  From that perspective I give Brett Veach major credit for his low key signing of Damian Williams last year. Literally probably saved the season.  You don’t have to be as good with your backups, you just need guys who can make the offense go as usual.  

It's possible that the move here was because of Hill, but I don't think so.  Andy is an offensive coach, with a young dynamic QB.  We already had Hill and Kelce when he went out and got Watkins.  I believe Reid is trying to put as many weapons around Mahomes as possible, due to a combination of league direction with the rules favoring the offense, and just how special Mahomes is.  I also know that Reid loves speed.  If Hill comes out the other side of this, can you image an offense where Kelce can run the seam, Watkins can go over the middle or double move to the deep corner, and then you have one of Hill/Hardman on the outside, and the other one coming out of the slot.  Good lord how do you cover that?  Who is getting the safety?  Someone is getting roasted over the top by our speed.  Or they counter by bringing in a bunch of DBs, here comes the screen pass for 35 yards.  I honestly believe that the Chiefs had this guy in their sights all along, and knowing this played into their willingness to deal off that first rounder.  I just think Andy is playing mad scientist and trying to build the most stoppable offense in league history, hoping that Spags can get the defense to make 2 stops a game for the win.  Now, I think this makes a great contingency plan if Hill is ousted, but I just don't think that this is the result of the Hill situation, as it was the plan all along.

10 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I think Breeland is capable of playing near a Nelson level.  Fuller should improve as we can hopefully keep him in the slot more where he’s really good. Ward is a wild card who’s flashed. Reasor is interesting but you can’t pin any legit 2019 expectations as its more about hope. Same with Tremon Smith.  Thornhill is going to help the secondary with much needed speed but I think he’s more free safety dime corner based on what I’m reading. Sorry for rambling. 

Final analysis right now is our overall secondary is improved but not nearly enough without another legit corner.  And any depth at corner is based on hope.  

I think breeland will be better than Nelson

Ward should improve

Fuller will be more comfortable being back at slot

20 hours ago, jetlord said:

Who really knows? He hits hard.  Dirty Dan.  He's versatile, and the Chiefs love versatility back there.  I am guessing he is in the picture...or he could just be chip being held for some kind of trade package. Lucas, though, is pretty much a niche player with a specific set of skills for certain kinds of plays.  He lacks the versatility from what I understand.

19 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Who really knows? He hits hard.  Dirty Dan.  He's versatile, and the Chiefs love versatility back there.  I am guessing he is in the picture...or he could just be chip being held for some kind of trade package. Lucas, though, is pretty much a niche player with a specific set of skills for certain kinds of plays.  He lacks the versatility from what I understand.

By versatile do you mean he's just as much of a liability in coverage as he is against the run? 

20 hours ago, NChiefsCorner said:

These are the draft losers.

“We looked at that defensive line right after the draft and we were all smiling,” Brett Veach said.

“This kid is really put together,” Chiefs scout Trey Koziol said of Thompson. “I think when you see him in the building, he is a real rocked-up dude. I thought he had really good strength and really good contact balance. He runs with a low center of gravity. That is one of the things that the guys at Utah State mentioned. He was pound for pound probably the strongest kids in their program, just in terms of his lower body strength. His ability to work through contact and then obviously he has really quick feet and an ability to make people miss out in space as well. So, they run a spread offense, kind of an air raid style offense, so when you get a guy who has the ability to break tackles and does have very good contact balance and lower body strength out in the open field.

While the Mecole Hardman pick may be the worst news for Tyreek Hill (see below), it isn’t good for Tremon Smith either. Smith carved out a role as the team’s kick returner last year and that will now be given to Hardman, who the Chiefs have already compared to Devin Hester.

“[Dave Toub] was ecstatic,” Brett Veach said. “He is by far the best punt and kick returner in the draft and, again, it’s hard to turn down that kind of speed. When you have a quarterback like Pat Mahomes you want to give him as many weapons as possible.”

Nice post! Love reading comments like these. We missed the dynamic returner in the kicking game last year with Tyreek hobbled a bit and Tremon Smith not in the same league. Dave Toub will make this kid a weapon if he's already comparing him to Devin Hester.  And our DLine just looks like it can become dominant in time. Man can that hide some issues elsewhere if it does. Just like Mahomes does on offense. I had 610 Sports on this morning and just as I was about to change it Bob Fescoe said he talked to a scout who said "the Chiefs are SO good at QB now that it's almost a plug and play situation on offense. He makes everyone instantly better."  That makes me feel better. 

Archived