Two Scat Backs - Which one has the edge?

Darwin Thompson vs James Williams  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who makes the team?

• Darwin Thompson
    • James Williams
    • Both

These backs have very similar intangibles and body frame. I'm curious which one has the edge? I read good things about James Williams coming into the draft. His highlight tape is legit , he's shifty out of the backfield and carries some nice footwork. Same goes for Thompson - stocky and hard to bring down. Both could supplement the loss of Kareem Hunt. 

I would think Thompson has the edge being the draftee.  

I also believe he is a more well rounded back and has an opportunity to be an every down back.  I think williams is more of a gimmick type or 3rd down only back. 

But both have a place with us. If like to see hyde cut.  Then these 2 make it. 

Damien Williams

Darryl Williams

Darwin Thompson

James Williams

Here's some numbers...

SmartSelect_20190429-074928_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20190429-074948_Chrome.jpg

Darwin Thompson got snubbed at the combine but here are the unofficial pro day results:

SmartSelect_20190429-075311_Chrome.jpg

Here's some advanced stats if you're into that. 

Fyi, Marginal efficiency (mEff) is a good one to look at as your success and efficiency rates from college are usually your NFL ceiling.  i.e. you don't get more efficient in the pro's.  Overall it's just a number though as it doesn't mean you can't have success.  Remember Saquon Barkley had bad efficiency numbers in college and pros, and he seems alright.

SmartSelect_20190429-080138_Chrome.jpg

To measure explosiveness in the NFL, 3 combine events tend to translate the most; bench, high jump and long jump:

SmartSelect_20190429-081450_Chrome.jpg

hlt/opp is highlight yards per opportunity, basically a backs yardage adjusted for line yards, or how much yardage comes from the back after taking away what the o line gets them.

How about some receiving efficiency?

SmartSelect_20190429-082052_Chrome.jpg

So basically looks like Williams is a 3rd down back but Thompson appears to be a 3 down gem.  He's on the smaller side but tape confirms the elite strength and explosiveness  he showed in drills.  He still needs some work though.  Can leave yards on the field and needs work in pass pro.  

32 minutes ago, xen said:

Here's some numbers...

SmartSelect_20190429-074928_Chrome.jpg

SmartSelect_20190429-074948_Chrome.jpg

Darwin Thompson got snubbed at the combine but here are the unofficial pro day results:

SmartSelect_20190429-075311_Chrome.jpg

Here's some advanced stats if you're into that. 

Fyi, Marginal efficiency (mEff) is a good one to look at as your success and efficiency rates from college are usually your NFL ceiling.  i.e. you don't get more efficient in the pro's.  Overall it's just a number though as it doesn't mean you can't have success.  Remember Saquon Barkley had bad efficiency numbers in college and pros, and he seems alright.

SmartSelect_20190429-080138_Chrome.jpg

To measure explosiveness in the NFL, 3 combine events tend to translate the most; bench, high jump and long jump:

SmartSelect_20190429-081450_Chrome.jpg

hlt/opp is highlight yards per opportunity, basically a backs yardage adjusted for line yards, or how much yardage comes from the back after taking away what the o line gets them.

How about some receiving efficiency?

SmartSelect_20190429-082052_Chrome.jpg

So basically looks like Williams is a 3rd down back but Thompson appears to be a 3 down gem.  He's on the smaller side but tape confirms the elite strength and explosiveness  he showed in drills.  He still needs some work though.  Can leave yards on the field and needs work in pass pro.  

I love the yards per catch and ypc. Lots of broken tackles for Thompson.

I think the only thing keeping Darwinn off the field this year is the playbook. If he is smart enough to pick it up quickly he will be a beast but I don't think we will see his best until next year.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:21 PM, jetlord said:

It's possible that Darrel Williams is the odd man out. 

He played a ton on special teams last year so one of those rookies would have to beat him out in that roll to take his roster spot in my opinion. Plus besides Hyde none of the other three are power runners that Veach likes and we need in short yardage situations. I think as long as Williams progresses that he and Hyde are those two guys. With Darwin and Damian being the jack of all trades guys. James Williams to the PS.

On 4/30/2019 at 7:28 PM, DefensiveMan said:

Dude's gonna be the next Kareem minus the off field issues. ☝

The guy is small but can squat over 500 pounds and it really shows as he runs through tackles. Like Kareem he keeps his balance well after contact and makes defenders finish him or pay the price. All that said just like Hardman lets not jump the gun here. Kareem led the NFL in rushing so its way to early to otherwise compare the two. 

Archived