Why Should Chiefs Do the Right Thing ?

2 minutes ago, BroncoStud said:

And he should be allowed to work and make money, I'm not advocating that he shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Denver roster.

If he'd been a Bronco, I'm sure his off-the-field incidents would have involved guns.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, BroncoStud said:

And he should be allowed to work and make money, I'm not advocating that he shouldn't be allowed to play in the NFL, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near the Denver roster.

Well that's exactly what we're saying, if that's the case, the why should the Chiefs have to cut him?

48 minutes ago, BroncoStud said:

Oh good lord dude...

Don't take it out of context.  What i was saying is that the  NFLPA will argue that it is irrelevant because he was not employed by the NFL when it happened.  Not that is not relevant in his history.  Again, please don't turn into mittens.  In no way am I advocating for the POS, just that the chiefs got screwed in the hunt situation, and if we cut hill now, they will get screwed again because some team will sign him once the judgments are in the final stages.

27 minutes ago, dksww said:

Well that's exactly what we're saying, if that's the case, the why should the Chiefs have to cut him?

Did you read any of the above dude?  You cut him because you don't want child abusers on your roster, or wearing your team's jersey.  You let the teams who don't give a damn about character sign child-abusing racists.

5 minutes ago, BroncoStud said:

Did you read any of the above dude?  You cut him because you don't want child abusers on your roster, or wearing your team's jersey.  You let the teams who don't give a damn about character sign child-abusing racists.

They don't care man, it's all just hot air they give to ease the press and fans.  I understand where you are coming from, I'm just saying that even though NFL teams, GMs and owners come out and say they want high character guys, they really dont' care.

48 minutes ago, dksww said:

They don't care man, it's all just hot air they give to ease the press and fans.  I understand where you are coming from, I'm just saying that even though NFL teams, GMs and owners come out and say they want high character guys, they really dont' care.

I know they don't care, RAY Lewis and others are proof of that, but as a fan, I do.

The NFL should do the right thing for the Chiefs on the competitive side since 2 possible generational talents have to be released in consecutive years due too actions off the field! There should be repercussions and cost if other teams sign them outside the contract! Why should the Chiefs be slapped across the face twice for it!!

2 hours ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

"

"So its a "Risk/Reward" scenario?

I think that the team picking the cut player up should have to give some kind of draft pick compensation as opposed to the Mike Florio idea of docking draft picks from the team the drafted the troublemaker, who then gets burned by having to "do the right thing"and is without his services. No doubt Hunt's absence cost the Chiefs last year- now Florio wants to double punish the drafting Team? GTFOH"

REALLY!!!!!!!!!???????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is basically what I said about waiting to see what happened to him so no other team could have his services, and you FRIGGIN BASHED ME FOR IT!! What a hypocrit you are!

Still got me on mute? LOL

Anyhoo, I bashed you for defending the POS and talking about your premise of how "kids try to get away when being spanked squirm alot so thats how his arm got broken"

Now, we know he basically tortured the kid. Cruel, sadistic punishment.

I am only saying the Chiefs should get some return as opposed to Team  Screw Ups  gets the services of an All Pro at dirt cheap prices.

22 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Still got me on mute? LOL

Anyhoo, I bashed you for defending the POS and talking about your premise of how "kids try to get away when being spanked squirm alot so thats how his arm got broken"

Now, we know he basically tortured the kid. Cruel, sadistic punishment.

I am only saying the Chiefs should get some return as opposed to Team  Screw Ups  gets the services of an All Pro at dirt cheap prices.

when you get quoted, I can see your posts.  Plus I NEVER defended him, I said I could see how an accident could happen.   Never once did I say that that is what happened, just said i could see HOW it could happen.   Yes, I have the option to read your post if i want to.  Usually i don't but when you are calling me out for saying something, and then you say the exact same thing, yeah, I am going to call you a hypocrite

Mellinger Minutes is open. I will do my due diligence on every question.

Should there be some form of compensation for a team that releases a player due to serious off-field issues (like Hunt and possibly Hill) if that player goes on to play for another team? Seems like the Chiefs receive a relative punishment for (eventually) doing the right thing.

Sam's answer:

Thank you for asking this. I was hoping someone would. My inbox is full of similar sentiments and it’s easy to see why.

Tyreek Hill is incredible at football. He’s one of the NFL’s best five or so receivers, and more than that uniquely talented. He is the game’s fastest player, and blessed with terrific ball tracking skills and hands, particularly with contested passes.

More than even all of that, if you did a Madden create-a-player for the perfect pairing for Patrick Mahomes, you would basically end up with Tyreek Hill.

So, sure. Yes. The idea of losing that and eventually watching him play somewhere else is aggravating.

Again, I get it. I’m with you. But here is the answer:

Hell no there should not be.

If the goal is to diminish embarrassment from NFL teams being tied to ugliness, or to encourage teams to more strongly consider how players will act away from the practice facility, or to be an example on how to handle domestic violence, then your suggestion is counterproductive at best.

Teams should not be granted protection against adding players with heightened risk. If anything, there’s a case that they should be further punished. Lose a draft pick, take a fine, something like that.

It could be logically argued that the Chiefs have already benefited greatly from Hill. They got one of the league’s best receivers for a fifth-round pick and relatively minimal salary because at the time of the draft he was on probation for pleading guilty to punching and choking his then-pregnant girlfriend.

They’ve already benefited, then, and it could be argued that other teams that passed on him were punished for “doing the right thing.” Further, it could be argued that the Chiefs got lucky in a sense because this case and the released audio came before they signed him to a contract that would’ve been worth many tens of millions of dollars.

I want to be clear about something. I’m not necessarily advocating for that system. In a perfect world that system would demand teams do everything possible to vet and support risky players, but I think in reality it would also incentivize teams to squash or even cover up crimes.

There is a tendency to look at these things through the prism of football, which is understandable, but we should always be thinking about victims. And a system that punishes teams for risky players getting in trouble would be awful for them.

So I’m not arguing for that. Just presenting a counter-argument to the natural reaction here in Kansas City that the Chiefs should be somehow protected.

They should not be. They drafted Hill while he was on probation for choking his then-pregnant girlfriend. When they did it, they had the arrogance and delusion to say “trust us.” The club’s leadership — and Andy Reid is still here — promised that they would never do something to put the community into a bind.

Three years later, the same player is involved in a child abuse investigation and heard on tape threatening the same women who is again pregnant.

If this happened with any other team in the league, none of you would be advocating that the team receive draft pick compensation for cutting him.

Why is it that every time a team releases Alex Smith, they end up with a flood of domestic violence and other criminal issues within the next couple of years? The worst guys (like Aldon Smith) had problems while Smith was on the roster, but those were nothing compared with the stuff that followed.

Maybe "Locker Room Guys" are underrated. Maybe if Smith were still here, we wouldn't be talking about Hunt or Hill as former Chiefs players.

Just a thought.

19 minutes ago, PhataLerror said:

Why is it that every time a team releases Alex Smith, they end up with a flood of domestic violence and other criminal issues within the next couple of years? The worst guys (like Aldon Smith) had problems while Smith was on the roster, but those were nothing compared with the stuff that followed.

Maybe "Locker Room Guys" are underrated. Maybe if Smith were still here, we wouldn't be talking about Hunt or Hill as former Chiefs players.

Just a thought.

JFC, why do you have to turn every single thread into a love session with your Alex Smith Love Doll?

Give it a rest already....

1 minute ago, Handswarmer said:

JFC, why do you have to turn every single thread into a love session with your Alex Smith Love Doll?

Give it a rest already....

Alex Smith Love Doll. Might be really selling Alex short what he means to him.

34 minutes ago, PhataLerror said:

Just a thought.

Please stay on topic.

3 minutes ago, SEMO said:

Please stay on topic.

Acknowledged.

There's no question that the NFL's arrangement for maintaining an image of political correctness rewards teams that do nothing more than launder troubled players released by other teams. Temporary or permanent bans following due process that establishes guilt are the only way to protect the interests of the league while not tying the hands of the clubs owning the rights to a player that does something criminal.

1 hour ago, PhataLerror said:

Acknowledged.

There's no question that the NFL's arrangement for maintaining an image of political correctness rewards teams that do nothing more than launder troubled players released by other teams. Temporary or permanent bans following due process that establishes guilt are the only way to protect the interests of the league while not tying the hands of the clubs owning the rights to a player that does something criminal.

Alex Smith will be a great mentor for Haskins. 

On 4/30/2019 at 2:22 PM, BroncoStud said:

Playing in the NFL is a priviledge, not a right. If he entered the league under this guise he was already on strike one (which the NFLPA is already disputing), then this is strike two and an automatic one year suspension. Also puts him one strike away from permanent exodus as it should. That said I'm not so sure the girl didnt' break his arm after what we learned yesterday. His pattern of abusive behavior should cost him no matter, but if the girl broke the arm and not him and somebody can prove that. Its going to get ugly. Most likely the Chiefs will release him as soon as they get word from the NFL he's gonna be suspended in 2019. But they absolutely should not release him until at least that time. 

24 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Playing in the NFL is a priviledge, not a right. If he entered the league under this guise he was already on strike one (which the NFLPA is already disputing), then this is strike two and an automatic one year suspension. Also puts him one strike away from permanent exodus as it should. That said I'm not so sure the girl didnt' break his arm after what we learned yesterday. His pattern of abusive behavior should cost him no matter, but if the girl broke the arm and not him and somebody can prove that. Its going to get ugly. Most likely the Chiefs will release him as soon as they get word from the NFL he's gonna be suspended in 2019. But they absolutely should not release him until at least that time. 

I agree with all of this.

Archived