Veterans in Danger- CBS Sports

Xavier Williams, DT, Chiefs

2019 cap hit: $3.6M
Cap savings if released: $1.8M
Possible rookie replacement: Third-round pick Khalen Saunders
Team need to clear cap space: Moderate

Williams recorded 2.5 sacks while playing 35.9% of the Chiefs defensive snaps last season, but now he has real competition on the inside of Kansas City's front four in Saunders, a penetrating defensive tackle in a nose tackle's body. 

With $17.1M in cap space, the Chiefs don't absolutely need to clear space. Saunders has an explosive pass-rushing arsenal and the wide frame plus the low-center-of-gravity strength to anchor in the run game. He'll need to prove he can be more than just a two-down player relatively quickly this summer to usurp Williams on the depth chart, and if Saunders does, Kansas City simply may not need the veteran anymore, especially with 2018 third-rounder Derrick Nnadi -- a run-stopper -- on the roster too. 

Daniel Sorensen, S, Chiefs

2019 cap hit: $4.6M
Cap savings if released: $2.6M
Possible rookie replacement: Second-round pick Juan Thornhill
Team need to clear cap space: Moderate

Sorensen played more than 1,000 snaps for the Chiefs in 2017 and logged nearly 500 defensive snaps in seven games in 2018. He simply hasn't been a game-changer at the safety spot, and Kansas City probably just drafted his replacement in Thornhill, a great-sized, freak of an athlete with immense range and awesome run-halting skills from the free safety spot. I still have no idea how he landed in the second round. 

Tyrann Mathieu was also signed in free agency, but his strength is his versatility, and he's more of a strong safety, slot cornerback hybrid than anything else. 

While the Chiefs' secondary as a whole is a huge question mark heading into the season, Sorensen will need a huge training camp and preseason to stick in Kansas City for what would be his sixth season. Veteran Jordan Lucas and 2018 fourth-rounder Armani Watts fill out the Chiefs' safety room, so depth isn't a big issue. 

Think we keep Williams for depth and rotation. Sorensen will be kept too just in case but will play ST a lot more. I do think next year, if the rookie depth at S work out, Sorensen will be gone and save us 3.75 million on the cap with only 1 million hit.

EDIT: of course this all changes if we sign a vet or put in a UDFA etc at one of these positions or need a spot for one.

Here is what I am waiting for, I think he would be a good one to get.

Kyle Rudolph, TE, Vikings 

2019 cap hit: $7.6M
Cap savings if released: $7.6M
Possible rookie replacement: Second-round pick Irv Smith Jr. 
Team need to clear cap space: Significant

The NFL's tight end position has become extremely top-heavy, and Rudolph is probably one of the few players at his position who's in his own tier above the run-of-the-mill No. 2 tight ends but clearly below the elite class of Zach Ertz, Travis Kelce and George Kittle. He was targeted 82 times in 2018 and caught 64 balls. His yards-per-reception average? Not great, Bob. Just 9.9 yards, which actually represented an increase from the 9.3 yards per catch he averaged in 2017. 

The Vikings currently have just $1.4M in cap space, the lowest figure in the NFL, so they need to create space quickly. Rudolph's potential replacement, Smith Jr., is more of an H-back than a traditional tight end, so that could help his cause to stay in Minnesota. 

However, an H-back fits better with the short-passing prowess of Kirk Cousins, who's definitely going to be the Vikings quarterback for at least the next two seasons. Rudolph turns 30 this summer. It'd be a surprise if he's on the Vikings roster in Week 1.

Nelson Agholor, WR, Eagles would be another if WR is not progressing well for us.

7 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Here is what I am waiting for, I think he would be a good one to get.

Kyle Rudolph, TE, Vikings 

2019 cap hit: $7.6M
Cap savings if released: $7.6M
Possible rookie replacement: Second-round pick Irv Smith Jr. 
Team need to clear cap space: Significant

The NFL's tight end position has become extremely top-heavy, and Rudolph is probably one of the few players at his position who's in his own tier above the run-of-the-mill No. 2 tight ends but clearly below the elite class of Zach Ertz, Travis Kelce and George Kittle. He was targeted 82 times in 2018 and caught 64 balls. His yards-per-reception average? Not great, Bob. Just 9.9 yards, which actually represented an increase from the 9.3 yards per catch he averaged in 2017. 

The Vikings currently have just $1.4M in cap space, the lowest figure in the NFL, so they need to create space quickly. Rudolph's potential replacement, Smith Jr., is more of an H-back than a traditional tight end, so that could help his cause to stay in Minnesota. 

However, an H-back fits better with the short-passing prowess of Kirk Cousins, who's definitely going to be the Vikings quarterback for at least the next two seasons. Rudolph turns 30 this summer. It'd be a surprise if he's on the Vikings roster in Week 1.

Nelson Agholor, WR, Eagles would be another if WR is not progressing well for us.

Rudolph could be a good compliment to Kelce.  The current roster at TE for the Chiefs is underwhelming. 

30 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

No thanks to Rudolph.  Overpaid and is a declining player.  Don't think they're going to be WR shopping either.

Williams could be a player for player trade later on and I'd be surprised if Dirty Dan was on the block since Andy loves him so much.

Rudolph is a very good TE for a 2nd TE type. I do not think he will cost that much either but if he asking for the moon, if he gets cut, then pass in him.

37 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

No thanks to Rudolph.  Overpaid and is a declining player.  Don't think they're going to be WR shopping either.

Williams could be a player for player trade later on and I'd be surprised if Dirty Dan was on the block since Andy loves him so much.

Of course he is a aging overpaid player...That's why he might get released!  I think Redzone Rudolph would be perfect on KC for a much cheaper contract than he has ATM.

I imagine Sorensen leaves since we have 2 definite better, 1 better with a small sample size, and a rookie with high praise ahead of him. Not sure about Williams as he wasn't that bad last year against the run so could remain as the savings are minimal and we don't really have much at DT, but obviously a decent youngster can always replace him. So I think he would be 2nd in line behind Sorensen.

28 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Rudolph is a very good TE for a 2nd TE type. I do not think he will cost that much either but if he asking for the moon, if he gets cut, then pass in him.

Agree he'd be a good fit as our number 2 if he'd accept a 1 year deal (which is iffy at only 29 years old). Mahomes could make him some money. Heck I would think we could sell any WR or TE willing to sign a 1 year deal that MVPat will be his moneymaker. Also have to consider Brett Veach loves to pick off recently drafted players via trade. 

21 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Find a veteran WR or TE that has some proven production under his belt in the past and played with a crap QB last year and target that guy. 

Ah maybe Crabtree. 😎

I don’t think we can afford not to bring another we in and te.   I think wr/cb have to be addressed with a FA stopgap.  TE and LB are needs but I think that’s why we haven’t aggressively gone after Collins yet.  Can’t use the money we might need.   

Don't know if either of those guys gets cut (Williams, Sorenson). Really boils down to how Spags sees their role in his defense.If he likes the skill set they bring he will keep them . I wouldn't be shocked either way.

Ben Watson is coming out of his short retirement and in New England today but also considering an offer from the Chiefs.  Like this or not we clearly aren’t satisfied with tight end situation beyond Kelce. 

The 38 year old Watson had 400 yards and 2 TDs as a backup last year but posted an overall 78 PFF grade which is a very solid and above average. I

16 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

No idea about his overall attitude issues, but yes he fits the bill if he can still run at all. 

No attitude at all from Crabtree last year; came in and worked hard. Had an issue with the drops, but he can still make the contested catches- strong hands- and his route running is very good.

He and John Brown got lost in the shuffle when Lamar took over. Neither complained out loud or in the Locker room about the lack of targets. Good guys for us last year.

21 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Ben Watson is coming out of his short retirement and in New England today but also considering an offer from the Chiefs.  Like this or not we clearly aren’t satisfied with tight end situation beyond Kelce. 

The 38 year old Watson had 400 yards and 2 TDs as a backup last year but posted an overall 78 PFF grade which is a very solid and above average. I

Blew his Achilles on the first play of the season with the Ravens, rehabbed in 2016, then came back and  went 61 of 79 targets for 522 and 4 TDS in 2017

Great locker room guy

8 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

No attitude at all from Crabtree last year; came in and worked hard. Had an issue with the drops, but he can still make the contested catches- strong hands- and his route running is very good.

He and John Brown got lost in the shuffle when Lamar took over. Neither complained out loud or in the Locker room about the lack of targets. Good guys for us last year.

It’s interesting Crabtree isn’t getting much attention and I haven’t seen him affiliated with the Chiefs at all.  Maybe he’s holding out for an injury situation to develop somewhere.  

Archived