2019 predictions

liquidfriend

I'll adjust these over time if there are significant camp injuries and what not.

AFC North

1. Pittsburgh Steelers

I actually like the offseason the Steelers had.  Everyone will talk about MR BIG CHEST, but they are now free of the distractions and had plenty of time to prepare for the adjustments.  Nelson was actually a great signing for them and they can use the money they saved on his bargain rate to maybe buy a drone to turn his neck.  Devin Bush was also a fantastic grab, and so was Justin Layne (Chiefs could have really used him).

I think they improved the Defense a lot and it'll pay off for them.

2.  Cleveland Browns

The Browns are better on paper, but I don't think they're going to live up to expectations.  They have no idea how to be a real winner and they're going to be led by a first year Head Coach that barely spent any time at all as an Offensive Coordinator.  The only real source he can lean on is a guy that was fired after a single year as HC.  Yikes.

3.  Baltimore Ravens

This will be a year of adjusting for the Ravens.  No worries though, with a recent Division title and an extension for Harbaugh--they will be back eventually.

4.  Cincinnati Bengals

They've had about as big of a disaster of an Offseason one team could have.  They're trending in the wrong direction and will sorely be disappointed they passed on Drew Lock.

AFC South

1. Indianapolis Colts

Ballard had a good off-season and the Colts nearly won the division last year after an awful start.  The only problem here is that Ballard should have had a great offseason.  But it's enough for them to take control of the South again.  Rock Ya-Sin and Campbell were good adds, but sitting around with your thumb up your ass in FA with 100+ mil in cap space and coming off a Div round appearance is totally baffling.

2. Tennessee Titans

They are going to live and die on Marcus Mariota this year.  History shows die and he'll miss some games, but I think Tannehill was a great add for relief and the changes they made on the OL and landing Humphries+AJ Brown as weapons will make a difference.  They will make it tough on the Colts.

3.  Houston Texans

I really do not like the off-season that Houston had.  I think they got worse on Defense across the board, did some really awful moves to address the OL and I think BoB is really getting stale in the city.  Mix in a very disgruntled Clowney and this could be a bad year for them.  If it weren't for Watt and the connection of Watson to Hopkins, this could be a disaster sort of year for the Texans.

This could be a spot where a coaching change happens in a year.

4.  Jacksonville Jaguars

The Jaguars can't help but to keep tripping over their own feet.  I don't think DeFillipo can recreate the magic that Andy Reid and Doug Pederson has and Foles will look rather average in Jacksonville.

Keeping Marrone was a mistake and I think the struggles will mount on Offense with lesser quality play design, weapons and blocking up front.  Heck of a division to try and win in, too.

AFC East

1.  New England Patriots

I think they will be fine without Gronk, who only the Chiefs were the only ones too stupid to figure out how to at least slow him down a little bit.  Harry will be an asset for them and I feel Josh Gordon will be back at some point.

Winovich will be an asset on Defense (what a steal) and they still have an all class secondary.  Still the best team in a bad division.

2.  New York Jets

The Jets made some splashes and it'll show up on the record column, but not getting Sam Darnold a lot of help is a move that's very questionable and will keep them from being in playoff contention.

3.  Buffalo Bills

The moves they've made won't show up in the W/L column for now, but the Bills should remain patient.  I think they're getting close and the moves they're making will pay off.

4.  Miami Dolphins

I'm anticipating that the Dolphins will sit Rosen all year and actually let him learn, while they tank the whole season for high draft slotting.  Playing him now would be a mistake IMO.  If he shits the bed in 2020, they'll have a high choice to draft Trevor Lawrence.

AFC West

1.  Kansas City Chiefs

The Chiefs are really living on the edge right now.  But as of right now, I think you'll see Tyreek Hill play again with Watkins and Hardman in the slot.  They've upgraded on Defense, which will help but right now the corner situation is not great.  Still anticipating another add, so we'll see.

2.  Los Diego Chargers

I think the Chargers had some pressing urgency to add at corner and immediate starters on the OL and didn't reach the objective. They will still be a tough team and in the mix, but I don't think it's enough to overcome Pat Mahomes and the total mental breakdown that Rivers has some weeks.

3.  Oakland Raiders

They had a good off-season, but really missed on an opportunity to have a great one.  Brown is an upgrade from Miller at LT, but definitely won't be the same player he was in NE.  Miller will be an upgrade from the road cone they had last year, but won't be great either.  They also really failed to address the LG situation after trading off Osemele. 

Draft wise they did okay, but not hard to do when you have 3 first round picks and were drafting early in the rest of the round.  They really could have and should have done much better though.  Not going Ed Oliver, waiting for Ferrell at 24 or taking Sweat than Jacobs at 27 was a bad move.  I think they could have comfortably got Abram at the top of Round 2.

They got better yes, but I think ultimately they worked their way back to where they were at before Gruden lost his mind.  A whole year to basically side grade.

4. Denver Broncos

I actually think the Broncos had a pretty decent offseason, but the problem for them will be that Joe Flacco is made of glass.  Drew Lock isn't ready to lead an NFL team when Flacco eventually goes down.  Kudos to them for sticking to their guns and not massively reaching to take Lock, but fuck them at the same time for not doing so.

NFC North

1. Green Bay Packers

The Packers are a veteran team and really just needed a new vision inside, which I think they got.  It's impressive how bad they botched Round 1, but they had a pretty good FA and Day 2.  I do really question the decision to add nothing at WR though.

2. Chicago Bears

The Bears are still a good team, but will have a few things working against them.  I think the 2018 hangover will have an impact.  The kicking situation is still god awful (morons should have never let Gould leave).  While Chuck Pagano is a good DC, he's still a downgrade from a great one in Vic Fangio.  Clinton-Dix is a downgrade from Amos and Buster Skrine is a fucking major downgrade from Callahan. 

3. Minnesota Vikings

The Vikings had a really weird Offseason overall.  Bradbury was a reach that they shouldn't have made IMO (they really should had gone Dillard and a Center in the 2nd) because Riley Reiff isn't a very good LT. and would have been better at RT, where they also needed help.  I think counting on a rookie a TE will be maybe a sidegrade for right now, which isn't helpful. 

I really don't think the Vikings improved.

4.  Detroit Lions

The Lions are a mess.

NFC South

1.  New Orleans Saints

I really liked how they handled the Offseason with limited resources.  Jared Cook was a great add and replacing Unger with Erik McCoy was fantastic.  Chauncey Gardner-Johnson is ridiculous value in the 4th round and will be an impact player in the secondary and Drew Brees is still getting it done.  Right now they are my favorites in the NFC.

2.  Atlanta Falcons

The Falcons really fumbled their Offseason on a bad Defense that desperately was in need.  Luckily for them, they will be getting some key secondary guys back from injury.  While I hate their Offseason, I won't be too harsh because they did invest a ton into protecting Matt Ryan and it'll pay off on Offense.  That Defense really needed more help though, which will keep them from taking the South.

3.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Bruce Arians is a good coach and will improve the Offense, but there's just too much to fix in one offseason with limited resources.  I think they're going to really struggle with a non-existent pass-rush, a lack of weapons on Offense and a bad LT.  Losing Humphries and Alexander are 2 major blows for them.  Being without JPP will be even tougher and the likely upcoming release on McCoy is going to put a major strain on that team.

4.  Carolina Panthers

The Panthers are in a really bad spot and bringing Hurney back was a bad move.  The Panthers don't have an immediate answer at LT, Cam Newton may not ever be the same again and they spent a lot of resources to make a very questionable move to a 3-4 base and had nothing to work with to add to an awful secondary.  I think Tepper is going to clean house at the end of the season and rightfully so.

NFC East

1.  Philadelphia Eagles

I hesitate to put them here, but I'm going to because I think they are the best team when healthy and they had a great offseason.  The NFC East is also allergic to repeat divisional winners.

2.  Dallas Cowboys

The Cowboys had a nice run last year, but I don't think they improved enough to take a step forward this year.  Unfortunately for them, the Eagles did and history isn't on the Cowboys side. 

3.  New York Giants

The Giants really had a disaster of an off-season.  Perhaps one of the worst ones I've seen in a very, very long time.  The reason it's not going to reflect now is because Barkley will keep them from the toilet.  Passing on Sam Darnold is a move they will regret for a very long time.

Eli Manning can barely play anymore and I just don't see it with Jones.  Poopers is a downgrade from the guy they let walk to the rival slurs.  Golden Tate is a massive downgrade from OBJ.  Williams was a reach and a downgrade from Snacks Harrison (coolest nickname).  Gettleman needs to be shipped to a retirement home.

4.  Washington Redskins

The Redskins had possibly the best draft (who saw that coming?), but it's not going to help them today.  The albatross of Alex Smith pretty much ruined 2019.

They couldn't clearly tank the whole year like the Dolphins will do because the team has zero goodwill with the fans, but they should still have a high 2020 pick to land an impact player and will be able to get rid of tinyhands.

NFC West

1.  San Francisco 49ers

There's always one team that rises from the ashes and makes some noise, and I think it'll be the 49ers.  Matthews, Deebo Samuel and Jalen Hurd are some quality adds at WR and you could make a decent argument for Kittle being the best Tight End in the NFL, with Kaden Smith being a nice add behind him.

Adding Dee Ford and Nick Bosa on the edges with a quality IDL and Kwon Alexander in the middle will turn that Defense around.  Coleman is also an underrated add at RB.  Jimmy Grapes will have a lot of help.

2.  Los Angeles Rams

I think the SB hang over, lack of quality adds on Defense and on the OL and the eventual decline of Aqib Talib will keep them from repeating.  The Patriots gave 30 other teams a clinic on how to stop that Offense.

3.  Seattle Seahawks

The Seahawks are definitely in transition again.  A disastrous offseason for them.

The DL is a fragmented mess again for them and all hopes will be hinged on that Jarran Reed is more than a one year wonder.  They're going to be really counting on DK Metcalf, who probably isn't and won't be ready for a feature role.

Nothing added at Tight End when they really needed one, no upgrade from Ifedi at Right Tackle and minimal adds in the interior.  They also made some really questionable choices for value.  I'm sure some guys will work out, but they really can't afford to blow the value now.

4.  Arizona Cardinals

Yikes.  That's all I can say.

Playoffs

AFC

1.  Patriots

2.  Chiefs

3.  Colts

4.  Steelers

5.  Chargers

6.  Titans

The Patriots didn't get any worse IMO and have the easiest schedule, so I think they are favorites for #1 Seed.  The Chiefs will be better on Defense, but no Kareem Hunt is a downgrade and it's a lot to expect Pat Mahomes to repeat as MVP, but he'll still be very good.  The focus needs to be on a Championship Defense.  The Colts will be better, but the South will be a little bit too.

AFC North is going to be a real fight, but I'm taking the veteran coach with the veteran QB and squad with some major adds at the biggest holes.  Like with Bell, they will have an answer for AB leaving.

The Chargers didn't do enough on the OL and at CB to overtake the Chiefs, but they'll still make it in and the Titans nearly made it in a year ago with Blaine Gabbert.  I think they will make it this time.

NFC

1.  Saints

2.  Eagles

3.  Packers

4.  49ers

5.  Bears

6.  Rams

The Saints are the best in the NFC and the Eagles will be a close 2nd if the team doesn't fall apart again.  The Packers look much improved on Defense and I like what the 49ers have done with that hybrid Defense.  The Bears and Rams are still good squads, but will not achieve as strongly.

Playoffs

WildCard

Colts over Titans

Steelers over Chargers

Packers over Rams

49ers over Bears

Divisional

Steelers over Patriots (rare loss for them at home)

Chiefs over Colts

Saints over 49ers

Packers over Eagles

Championship

Chiefs over Steelers

Saints over Packers

Super Bowl

Saints 38 Chiefs 35

• 2 weeks later...

Once again a lot of the early predictions around the NFL world is leaning toward the Chargers winning the West. I just don't get it. They have supposedly had this HOF QB forever it seems. They haven't won the division since 2009! It's been a decade. Most pundits picked them in 2017 to win it...and then again in 2018. Chiefs have the better coach and the better QB. Bet on the Chiefs for 2019.

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2019 at 5:55 PM, dhitter said:

Once again a lot of the early predictions around the NFL world is leaning toward the Chargers winning the West. I just don't get it. They have supposedly had this HOF QB forever it seems. They haven't won the division since 2009! It's been a decade. Most pundits picked them in 2017 to win it...and then again in 2018. Chiefs have the better coach and the better QB. Bet on the Chiefs for 2019.

Analysts (has 'anal' in it for a reason) just completely discount the coaching factor. 

On 5/27/2019 at 7:24 PM, DieHard said:

Not sure about the 9ers beating out The Rams. But I think I agree with the rest.

I think the Rams are bound for a slump. 

I'm not sold on the Defensive being better, Goff's protection has became worse and the big thing is I really don't know about Gurley's knee.  The OL and knee situation could change a lot, with the traditional SB slump if you're not the Patriots.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Changes:

AFC

-With the Andrew Luck retirement, I now have the Titans winning the South and the Texans sliding in as the 6th seed.

1.  Patriots

2.  Chiefs

3.  Steelers

4.  Titans

5.  Chargers

6.  Texans

Wild Card -

Steelers over the Texans (bloodbath) and Titans over the Chsrgers (upset)

Divisional -

Chiefs over Steelers and Patriots over Titans

Conference -

Chiefs over Patriots

I think they will find the winning formula in Foxboro finally.

NFC

1.  Eagles

2.  Saints

3.  Seahawks

4.  Packers

5.  Cowboys

6.  49ers

I think the addition of Clowney for the Seahawks really changes a lot, and now I think they are the best squad in the NFC West.  I bumped them up to the #3 seed in result and put the 49ers in as the 6th seed.  I think they would have been playoff contenders last season if they weren't down a QB for 12 weeks.

I also swapped the Eagles and Saints as I've really liked what I have seen from the Eagles OL.  Dillard in particular (loltexans).  I think the Eagles are gonna be really hard to beat.

The Cowboys will gain a lot if they can get EE back in the door, and it looks like they will.  With EE, they are a playoff team.  Without him they're 6-10.

In result I've dropped the Rams from the playoffs (I got a feeling about them) and the Bears (kicking woes are going to fuck them). 

Wildcard-

Seahawks over 49ers and Cowboys over the Packers

Divisional-

Eagles over the Cowboys and Seahawks over the Saints

Conference-

Eagles over the Seahawks

SB-

Chiefs/Eagles in the Andy Reid bowl

26 minutes ago, liquidfriend said:

You hate to see a Week 1 overreaction 

Especially after playing against a team that was literally just standing around lmao

No overreaction when you set records  I knew the Offense would be that good. I knew the defense would be fine without all those guys.

Just now, liquidfriend said:

If they have the Miami Dolphins for 15 more games, shit just hand them the Lombardi.

Why do you think that NE has Home Field throughout the playoffs year in and year out?

But again, play who is on your schedule. Not like Alabama scheduling the Little Sisters of the Poor for a game check.....

1 minute ago, Handswarmer said:

Why do you think that NE has Home Field throughout the playoffs year in and year out?

But again, play who is on your schedule. Not like Alabama scheduling the Little Sisters of the Poor for a game check.....

Sure, but the Ravens will quickly come back down to Earth once they play actual NFL teams on their schedule. 

For the record, I've been one of the ones that said Roman would be a good pairing with Jackson.  I just think they need a year to get some holes plugged up.

1 minute ago, liquidfriend said:

Sure, but the Ravens will quickly come back down to Earth once they play actual NFL teams on their schedule. 

For the record, I've been one of the ones that said Roman would be a good pairing with Jackson.  I just think they need a year to get some holes plugged up.

We will see. The passes were pin point. 3 incompletions- 1 was a throwaway in the endzone due to coverage, 1 was a drop and the other was a barely missed bomb to Brown that he just couldn't reach.

4 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

We will see. The passes were pin point. 3 incompletions- 1 was a throwaway in the endzone due to coverage, 1 was a drop and the other was a barely missed bomb to Brown that he just couldn't reach.

I didn't really see the Dolphins challenge the Ravens at all.  They clearly looked like a team that has already quit on their coach.

Big problems for the Dolphins.