Chiefs dominance in this division under Big Red

21-3 in their last 24 division games. But how about this. All three losses came on the stupid short week Thursday Night Football games (where coaching and game plan is probably mitigated somewhat).  The Chiefs last loss on a Sunday within the division. November 14, 2014.  Now we know the division has been a turd for a while until last year with Chargers reemerging. But still. 

40 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Jeff Lurie was a fool to fire him in Philly. Being in Baltimore, I watched alot of Eagles games and only questioned his clock management skills.....

And his refusing to run the ball at times. I know it can be part of clock management but man will he abandon it at the weirdest times

Just now, kkuenn said:

And his refusing to run the ball at times. I know it can be part of clock management but man will he abandon it at the weirdest times

Yes, he cost them games against the NFC East when he was there because he wouldn't run down the clock by ground and pound.

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Jeff Lurie was a fool to fire him in Philly. Being in Baltimore, I watched alot of Eagles games and only questioned his clock management skills.....

There’s definitely something to be said for a coaches message wearing thin and needing a change. 

Plus he took on way to much in Philly and was able to recognize that from day one in KC.  Most coaches, no matter how good, can’t make difficult decisions to let go of veterans and rebuild a unit rather than throw expensive band aids at it. 

Ultimately his decision to go all in with Mahomes is probably going to be what makes him a first ballot HOF coach. But time will tell.  

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

He gets a lot of criticism for that and yet I’ll bet he’s gotten more production from RBs in his career than any other coach in this era.  Certainly top 3.  

35 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

He gets a lot of criticism for that and yet I’ll bet he’s gotten more production from RBs in his career than any other coach in this era.  Certainly top 3.  

Production yes, but most as receiving with screens etc. I am talking when he needs to pound the rock. He either forgets he has a rb or gets to cute in play calls. It is infuriating at times that he thinks he will catch the defense off guard. Hell, at this point I think if he just ran a traditional call it would catch them off guard. 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Production yes, but most as receiving with screens etc. I am talking when he needs to pound the rock. He either forgets he has a rb or gets to cute in play calls. It is infuriating at times that he thinks he will catch the defense off guard. Hell, at this point I think if he just ran a traditional call it would catch them off guard. 

Understand your point but also consider he builds more finesse blocking lines better at creating space at the next level than just overpowering at the LOS. Most of his RBs are built that way as well. Stretch plays, screens, etc.  

i really don’t think he believes he’s tricking anyone with a jet sweep on short yardage. He just thinks he’s playing to his teams strengths. 

That doesn’t mean I don’t agree he outthinks himself sometimes and as an elite offensive guy his ego can get in the way.  

I’d love to see his career conversion rate third and short though.  I’d bet he’s pretty darn good.  

12 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Understand your point but also consider he builds more finesse blocking lines better at creating space at the next level than just overpowering at the LOS. Most of his RBs are built that way as well. Stretch plays, screens, etc.  

i really don’t think he believes he’s tricking anyone with a jet sweep on short yardage. He just thinks he’s playing to his teams strengths. 

That doesn’t mean I don’t agree he outthinks himself sometimes and as an elite offensive guy his ego can get in the way.  

I’d love to see his career conversion rate third and short though.  I’d bet he’s pretty darn good.  

I see we agree, just wording it differently. It makes me mad when we have a 2nd and 2 and he goes for a reverse or something that makes us lose 3 yards type play instead if pounding it and setting up first down or a very short 3rd and 1 etc.. 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I was going to respond but glad I read this post first. SPOT ON! 

None of Andy's teams have been able to pound the rock up the middle with good success consistently and it's because he prefers athletic linemen that get out in space. His whole scheme is reliant on the versatility rather then straight up maulers. Good post Mloe.

On 5/11/2019 at 9:08 AM, Handswarmer said:

I doubt many Eagles fans would agree, given his dismissal ultimately led to their only Super Bowl and what appears to be a perennial power with pederson.  I think it’s a case where it worked out great for both teams.

21 hours ago, xen said:

Andy will never be a ground and pound guy.  To be fair, advanced analytics shows that that's a near dead concept anyway.  There are much more efficient ways to move the ball.

More efficient ways to move the ball?  Yes.  More effective ways to maximize the odds of KEEPING the ball?  Not so much.  Sometimes gaining just one yard is the best outcome.

2 hours ago, Marleydawg said:

I doubt many Eagles fans would agree, given his dismissal ultimately led to their only Super Bowl and what appears to be a perennial power with pederson.  I think it’s a case where it worked out great for both teams.

How did Eagles' fans feel before Pederson arrived? 

6 hours ago, Marleydawg said:

Good post and I agree. It would have been interesting however to see what would have happened had Andy not came up one pick short of getting Russell Wilson. Timing a lot of times is everything. 

7 hours ago, jetlord said:

More efficient ways to move the ball?  Yes.  More effective ways to maximize the odds of KEEPING the ball?  Not so much.  Sometimes gaining just one yard is the best outcome.

Well it's also common sense that you should punt and play the field position game, yet analytics' suggest that the course of action that leads to the most expected points over time is almost always to go for it on 4th down.  Some may argue that it's counterintuitive, yet the numbers don't lie.  The NFL just hasn't caught up yet.  

Same thing with passing.  The numbers say not only is it more efficient to pass often but specifically it's better to pass heavy to the slot over the outside.

Of course you gotta mix it up but Andy is riding the wave of the future before most others.  

24 minutes ago, xen said:

Well it's also common sense that you should punt and play the field position game, yet analytics' suggest that the course of action that leads to the most expected points over time is almost always to go for it on 4th down.  Some may argue that it's counterintuitive, yet the numbers don't lie.  The NFL just hasn't caught up yet.  

Same thing with passing.  The numbers say not only is it more efficient to pass often but specifically it's better to pass heavy to the slot over the outside.

Of course you gotta mix it up but Andy is riding the wave of the future before most others.  

Good post. Andy’s really good at creating opportunities for his playmakers to get in one on one positions.  It’s easy to remember the second and 1 play that loses three yards by trying to do this, but how many times does doing this result in a chunk play.  It’s calculated risk-reward. 

I can only remember twice all season we needed a critical  first down and failed. Maybe I’m missing something but that’s absolutely amazing and says a ton about Andy and especially MVPat. Once was when he ran Damien Williams up the middle trying to seal the Chargers game up.  We lost three yards and it just bulldozed the drive. The other was in LA when MVPat got greedy.  

On 5/11/2019 at 12:40 PM, Mloe68 said:

There’s definitely something to be said for a coaches message wearing thin and needing a change. 

Plus he took on way to much in Philly and was able to recognize that from day one in KC.  Most coaches, no matter how good, can’t make difficult decisions to let go of veterans and rebuild a unit rather than throw expensive band aids at it. 

Ultimately his decision to go all in with Mahomes is probably going to be what makes him a first ballot HOF coach. But time will tell.  

When he took over the GM position it was a harbinger of things to come. But to be fair, his son had some serious drug issues and died from an overdose while he was in Philly. Thats a mental strain in itself.

On 5/11/2019 at 4:08 PM, Handswarmer said:

I'm pretty sure Lurie is still celebrating that SB win. Reid is a great coach but you have to win the big one. 

Looks like both Chiefs and the Eagles won in this scenario with the Eagles being ahead due to the SB that we will hopefully catch up within the next couple years.

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

When he took over the GM position it was a harbinger of things to come. But to be fair, his son had some serious drug issues and died from an overdose while he was in Philly. Thats a mental strain in itself.

Great point. It had to have some major impact on Andys performance. Just no way around it. Heck I wouldn’t be able to function much less run an organization under that duress. 

And it’s why to me if he wants to keep Britt on his staff the rest of his tenure, I’ve got no problem with it. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

I'm pretty sure Lurie is still celebrating that SB win. Reid is a great coach but you have to win the big one. 

Looks like both Chiefs and the Eagles won in this scenario with the Eagles being ahead due to the SB that we will hopefully catch up within the next couple years.

You are forgetting about the 3 year dumpster fire called "Chip Kelly"

In all, it was 5 years after AR got fired that they won the SB.

5 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Great point. It had to have some major impact on Andys performance. Just no way around it. Heck I wouldn’t be able to function much less run an organization under that duress. 

And it’s why to me if he wants to keep Britt on his staff the rest of his tenure, I’ve got no problem with it. 

Ditto. Keep him close

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

He fired Andy and made a disastrous hire to replace him. Lurie knew the Reid coaching tree was the perfect balance. Again part of what makes Andy a future Hall of Fame Coach is that he hires a bunch of great people and fosters an environment where they can grow and move up.  I’ve got a feeling our coaching staff right now is one of his best too. 

Archived