Chiefs dominance in this division under Big Red

On 5/11/2019 at 8:51 AM, Handswarmer said:

Yes, he cost them games against the NFC East when he was there because he wouldn't run down the clock by ground and pound.

I'd disagree.  I think coaches are only effective in one place for so long until everything just gets stale unless you're Bill Belichick.

Andy Reid in Philly was 100% stale and firing him was the correct move.  The mistake Lurie made was not learning from the downfall of Andy and repeating mistakes by giving Chip Kelly control over personnel decisions. 

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

He fired Andy and made a disastrous hire to replace him. Lurie knew the Reid coaching tree was the perfect balance. Again part of what makes Andy a future Hall of Fame Coach is that he hires a bunch of great people and fosters an environment where they can grow and move up.  I’ve got a feeling our coaching staff right now is one of his best too. 

Reid is probably the best among active HCs in developing other HCs, people from his staff go on to have major success. Reid also keeps winning games but there seems to be a weird threshold he cannot leap over. I'm hoping he'll get over it with the current staff and as you said he might have the best one in the NFL right now. 

It would probably be safer for the Eagles to stick with Reid as he was still winning games but I think they didn't want to deal with that extra ingredient that just wasn't there for years. In the end they won the SB with a coach that Reid developed and a QB that Reid revived. 

3 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

You are forgetting about the 3 year dumpster fire called "Chip Kelly"

In all, it was 5 years after AR got fired that they won the SB.

Kelly might have been one of the worst hires of the century at HC and that includes guys like Crennel. Lurie didn't like what he had with Reid and moved on to Kelly, messed up the team and moved on again to win the big one. I'm pretty sure he never regretted letting Reid leave as he got to the promised land after that. 

31 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Kelly might have been one of the worst hires of the century at HC and that includes guys like Crennel. Lurie didn't like what he had with Reid and moved on to Kelly, messed up the team and moved on again to win the big one. I'm pretty sure he never regretted letting Reid leave as he got to the promised land after that. 

Who knows what Andy would have done if he was in Philly five more years. I think it ultimately worked out well for them. Also keep in mind that Chip Kelly was so bad he delivered some early draft picks too. That matters. On the other hand outside of BB coming here, there's little chance any coach out there could have done more with the Chiefs than Andy has. Big Red has just been sensational here. And now finally with an elite QB. Look out. 

Archived