Chiefs cut Coates

On 5/13/2019 at 3:47 AM, Mloe68 said:

That’s part of what undrafted free agent signings are good for. 

Seems to me me most of the time these "converted" players never achieve the status above "scrub".  It's the spaghetti against the wall approach. "If we bring in enough guys nobody else was interested in maybe just maybe one will turn out to be good enough to get a few snaps in a meaningless game...lol. But I kid...sort of.

12 hours ago, dhitter said:

Seems to me me most of the time these "converted" players never achieve the status above "scrub".  It's the spaghetti against the wall approach. "If we bring in enough guys nobody else was interested in maybe just maybe one will turn out to be good enough to get a few snaps in a meaningless game...lol. But I kid...sort of.

Most don’t pan out.  But all it takes is 1 in a 100 converted UDFAs to make it well worthwhile. Scouts see a skill set which didn’t match their college position and want to try and develop that. I’m not at all understanding why you would have a problem with that? I mean I understand not wanting to draft projects early, but these are undrafted free agents we are talking about. Basically zero risk. 

Even a late round converted player like Khalil McKenzie is a low risk, potentially high reward type guy.  

On 5/17/2019 at 10:39 AM, Mloe68 said:

Most don’t pan out.  But all it takes is 1 in a 100 converted UDFAs to make it well worthwhile. Scouts see a skill set which didn’t match their college position and want to try and develop that. I’m not at all understanding why you would have a problem with that? I mean I understand not wanting to draft projects early, but these are undrafted free agents we are talking about. Basically zero risk. 

Even a late round converted player like Khalil McKenzie is a low risk, potentially high reward type guy.  

1. Odds are very low of success, 2. They take up a roster spot while trying to "learn" a new position, and 3. Coaches still have to allocate time and resources trying to coach these converts. So to me it's not a zero risk. When you put time and energy into a player that doesn't pan out there is a cost.

On 5/17/2019 at 5:03 PM, Fmbl2187 said:

I wonder how many times we will hear that Pringle was chipped by somebody at the line of scrimmage.

I think his original intent was to make tennis balls.  But then instead of rubber, the trucks showed up with a load of potatoes.  Now he's a laid back guy, so he said, "screw it, cut 'em up!"

(adapted from Mitch Hedberg, RIP)

On 5/25/2019 at 6:47 PM, dhitter said:

1. Odds are very low of success, 2. They take up a roster spot while trying to "learn" a new position, and 3. Coaches still have to allocate time and resources trying to coach these converts. So to me it's not a zero risk. When you put time and energy into a player that doesn't pan out there is a cost.

Most first round draft picks don’t pan out. There is always a Brian Waters out there. If a guy takes a roster spot from a sixth round pick that has proven to be not worth a shit, then there is an argument for a guy trying a new position. It’s not like you are cutting a starter or even a back up to keep him. You are cutting guy that won’t dress out and probably never will.

i agree there is always a cost, but UDFA and converts do sometimes pan out. If you have to cut Nate Eacham for a converted lineman or TE, why not.

Archived