YES OR NO. Tight end Kyle Rudolph?

3 hours ago, Chiefswinitall said:

Said this in the other thread for him but he may be a cap release any ways. I would offer them a 5th or 6th to secure him but if there is no interest, which I doubt since Watson had some, then he may be had for even less on cap without giving up a pick.

Kyle Rudolph, TE, Vikings 

2019 cap hit: $7.6M
Cap savings if released: $7.6M
Possible rookie replacement: Second-round pick Irv Smith Jr. 
Team need to clear cap space: Significant

The NFL's tight end position has become extremely top-heavy, and Rudolph is probably one of the few players at his position who's in his own tier above the run-of-the-mill No. 2 tight ends but clearly below the elite class of Zach Ertz, Travis Kelce and George Kittle. He was targeted 82 times in 2018 and caught 64 balls. His yards-per-reception average? Not great, Bob. Just 9.9 yards, which actually represented an increase from the 9.3 yards per catch he averaged in 2017. 

The Vikings currently have just $1.4M in cap space, the lowest figure in the NFL, so they need to create space quickly. Rudolph's potential replacement, Smith Jr., is more of an H-back than a traditional tight end, so that could help his cause to stay in Minnesota. 

However, an H-back fits better with the short-passing prowess of Kirk Cousins, who's definitely going to be the Vikings quarterbackfor at least the next two seasons. Rudolph turns 30 this summer. It'd be a surprise if he's on the Vikings roster in Week 1.

Nelson Agholor, WR, Eagles would be another if WR is not progressing well for us.

I'd give them a 4 or 5 depending in if we get that 4th round comp pick for Nelson. I dont know that we'd want to spend the money to resign him after the season though, so it's hard to part with picks for a rental. But we are a team that is a SB hopeful and that would be a lethal TE tandem. 

I have no problem with trading picks.  The draft is a total crapshoot.  I would rather trade a pick for a proven commodity.

Also, you can maneuver around in the draft and gain picks.  Seattle went into the draft with 4 picks.  Ended with 11. 

5 minutes ago, SEMO said:

I have no problem with trading picks.  The draft is a total crapshoot.  I would rather trade a pick for a proven commodity.

Also, you can maneuver around in the draft and gain picks.  Seattle went into the draft with 4 picks.  Ended with 11. 

Rather have a solid TE for 2 or 3 years than a guy in the 5th that might not make it or take 2 to 3 years to develop etc. Odds are more in favor of taking a proven commodity.

Archived