Tyreek Hill and contested catches

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-the-nfls-top-receivers-in-contested-catch-situations?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjaff&cjevent=7a6f2a85765711e980a000820a24060c

In a quarterback’s ideal world, he’ll be getting the ball out to wide receivers with separation from their defender for an open throw. The world isn’t always ideal, however. Through last year’s regular season, there were 2,606 passes that we at PFF deemed contested-catch opportunities. These are plays where the defender is in range and contests the pass at the catch point. 28 wide receivers saw at least 20 contested-catch opportunities, and these 10 gave their respective quarterbacks the most help by pulling in those proverbial “50-50” balls at the highest rates.

TOP-1-1024x576.png

1. TYREEK HILL, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (65.0%)

It seems trivial to be discussing Hill’s contested-catch ability in wake of the larger, more important issues surrounding the star Kansas City Chiefs’ wide receiver, but his presence at the top of this list shows that his potential absence not only takes away the league’s most dangerous deep threat but also the best receiver in the NFL in contested-catch situations a season ago. Listed at just 5 foot-10 inches and 185 pounds, Hill doesn’t have the prototypical size of a wide receiver who wins at the catch point. Despite that, he caught 13 of his 20 contested targets for 290 receiving yards (4th).

That is going to be hard to replace. To all of those people out there that couldn't wrap your mind around Hill being a #1 WR because he doesn't fit the prototypical size... he plays way bigger than his body size. Just wanted to share a post on Hill not related to child abuse.

Tyreek is a WR 1AAA. He's elite beyond measurement not only because of this speed, quickness and athleticism. But he's got great hands and tracks the ball in the air better than most seasoned WRs. Tyreek made an above average dink and dunk pitcher in Alex Smith actually look like he has downfield ability. He's that good. There is very little chance Hardman can replace what he brings. You just hope he can replace some of what Tyreek brings to the point we can run our offense. I'll just say his impact on the game is big enough that if we do not have him next year, we drop from legitimate Super Bowl contender to more of a fringe player that needs to get hot in January. 

Not trying to get to optimistic here but what if we get Hill back after a six game suspension in which Hardman has gotten some reps and experience.  How can we be stopped?   Watkins, Kelce, Hill, Hardman, and Mahomes.   That’s a nightmare for DCs.

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Not trying to get to optimistic here but what if we get Hill back after a six game suspension in which Hardman has gotten some reps and experience.  How can we be stopped?   Watkins, Kelce, Hill, Hardman, and Mahomes.   That’s a nightmare for DCs.

That would be fantastic and we’d be legit Super Bowl favorites in that scenario with our defense potentially really coming around the second half of the season. 

I just refuse to get burned by hope or negatively at this point. This deal isn’t over so we just need to keep waiting. 

I've said before, obviously ignoring anything off-the-field, Tyreek has skills all of our previous "raw speed" guys (Sammie Parker, anyone?) just didn't possess - both general ball skills and his hands.

One thing I've noticed that Tyreek does which kind of bothers me but I see why he does it is when he jumps for balls down the field.  It seems like he does it not because he needs to to get the ball, but it effectively makes him a "bigger" target and shields the defender.

From all  these comments I see all kinds of "woe is us" coming when or if HIll is suspended or released.  But it's ridiculous.  We have plenty of targets and the best QB anywhere to get them the ball.  We will have LDT back at guard.  Most of all, we will be able to stop the run. We will get at least 1 or 2 more three and outs per game on defense, so it won't be necessary to score frantically on every possession in order to win the games.  It was a hell of a lot of fun watching the Chiefs be what they never have been before...a score faster and more than the other guy team.  But everyone knows we were unbalanced. I can't wait to see what we can do on the field this year, with or without Hill.  My one and only concern is what happens if Kelce goes down?  He is a much more essential piece than Hill.

10 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

From all  these comments I see all kinds of "woe is us" coming when or if HIll is suspended or released.  But it's ridiculous.  We have plenty of targets and the best QB anywhere to get them the ball.  We will have LDT back at guard.  Most of all, we will be able to stop the run. We will get at least 1 or 2 more three and outs per game on defense, so it won't be necessary to score frantically on every possession in order to win the games.  It was a hell of a lot of fun watching the Chiefs be what they never have been before...a score faster and more than the other guy team.  But everyone knows we were unbalanced. I can't wait to see what we can do on the field this year, with or without Hill.  My one and only concern is what happens if Kelce goes down?  He is a much more essential piece than Hill.

Having the QB is without question the biggest piece of the puzzle that can elevate the talent level elsewhere. But losing Tyreek would be a big blow. He’s a special talent. So much so BB decided to double him on nearly every play and leave even Kelce in solo coverage quite a bit.  You just can’t replace all Tyreek brings. Without question our best WR in decades for that matter. 

This however is not a woe is me league. Yes enough key injuries will bury any team no matter who the QB. But losing one guy who’s not the QB should never bury you and this would not. I do think if that scenario plays out Veach would go get another system fit WR. Combine guys to help replace what he brings. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Having the QB is without question the biggest piece of the puzzle that can elevate the talent level elsewhere. But losing Tyreek would be a big blow. He’s a special talent. So much so BB decided to double him on nearly every play and leave even Kelce in solo coverage quite a bit.  You just can’t replace all Tyreek brings. Without question our best WR in decades for that matter. 

No question about that.

Archived