Chiefs trade for LB Lee from Jets

Yeah, the Chiefs need better LB play although the TE coverage problem could be a lack of good safety play as much as failure at the LB positions in many cases.  But my point was meant to be that the Chiefs greatest need all this off season is a good CB and they'e done nothing major in that area except exchange Nelson for Breeland.  Until that's addressed, I'll have little confidence in the 2019 defense. 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/16/2019 at 2:33 AM, moons314 said:

I feel like they have a definite direction here, and I like it.  I could be wrong, but this is how I interpret the building of the defense.  There's going to be less emphasis on edge rushers.  We are going to stock guys in the back 7 that can cover and knock receivers off of routes, but also speedier guys.  This in turn leaves me believing that there's going to be a bit of creativity within the defensive scheme, going back to my first point about less emphasis on pure edge rushers.  I'm thinking a Steelers style defense, cover the receivers, disguise your blitzers, and run varying zone blitzes to try to keep the QB uncomfortable.  I don't look for this team to be overly stout against the run, but much improved from last year, I'm guess in the 15-20 ranking league wide.  I think it's going to be vastly improved against the pass, and this whole thing is by design.  Our offense is going to score points.  Lots of points.  I think the overall plan here is to win track meets, as we have an unreal QB who is a year more experienced, so the goal is for the offense to take the opposing running game off the table, while the defense creatively finds ways to pressure the QB, and get nasty on the turnovers.  I could be wrong, but this is just how it seems to me the plan is falling out. 

I like it, too.  It will be fast and aggressive and hard to read.  Clark will be better than Ford  The run defense will cease to be a problem.  We will  have a couple of ballhawk safeties.  Not only has there been a massive change in personnel in key places, but the entire defensive coaching staff has been changed and replaced with high quality teachers.  It may take more than a year to completely gel, but it will be better right off the bat.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:08 AM, dksww said:

The Chiefs got Darron Lee for a 6th?  Are you kidding?  I wonder what the Jets would take for Le'Veon Bell?

Carlos Hyde and a 4th?  lol

A guy from NY was talking about Lee and said that they would trade Bell in a heartbeat. What?  He hasn’t play down for them. 

49 minutes ago, DieHard said:

A guy from NY was talking about Lee and said that they would trade Bell in a heartbeat. What?  He hasn’t play down for them. 

Their coach just took over as interim GM and he is not happy with the contracts that the former GM handed out this offseason at RB and ILB.  Can't say as I blame him considering they vastly overpaid on positions that don't usually warrant that.

15 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I like it, too.  It will be fast and aggressive and hard to read.  Clark will be better than Ford  The run defense will cease to be a problem.  We will  have a couple of ballhawk safeties.  Not only has there been a massive change in personnel in key places, but the entire defensive coaching staff has been changed and replaced with high quality teachers.  It may take more than a year to completely gel, but it will be better right off the bat.

Yes we have lots of new players and a new defensive coach.   The problem is.... how long until they are able to play a coordinated defense?   I think it would be too optimistic to think that these guys are going to play shutdown defense the first half of the season.    I anticipate a lot of unintentional mistakes...missed assignments,  blown coverages and the like.   And its all due to a lack of cohesiveness because this group has not played together very long.  Hope for the best.

3 minutes ago, wilkie said:

Yes we have lots of new players and a new defensive coach.   The problem is.... how long until they are able to play a coordinated defense?   I think it would be too optimistic to think that these guys are going to play shutdown defense the first half of the season.    I anticipate a lot of unintentional mistakes...missed assignments,  blown coverages and the like.   And its all due to a lack of cohesiveness because this group has not played together very long.  Hope for the best.

Well they do all have the whole off season and such to get it together and many have played in the 43 scheme before. I think we will be fine but it will really all come together for our tough part of the schedule. On paper if it takes then a few weeks in the beginning it looks like the best time for us to do so. JAX, Raiders etc all in the first few weeks.

1 hour ago, wilkie said:

A couple things. We brought in a lot of vets that know how to play in a 4-3. They just need to pick up the differences Spags brings to the table. I think that is a step ahead of converting guys that have only know a 3-4 or rookies into the system. 

Second, they don’t have to play shut down defense. They just have to be average.

i do agree that they will get better as the year goes on but not night and day different IMO.

Shur down defense is not an option with our DEs and CBS. Shit down the run and improve in the passing game is what I expect.  

#8 against the run and #22 against the pass is a reasonable expectation in my mind. I would put the over under right about there. It’s all guessing game at this point though.

1 hour ago, wilkie said:

Exactly.  Missed assignments.  Some confusion.  That will affect the passing defense.  But run defense will be improved to the point that we will get at least one more three-and-out per game.  I think that is a reasonable expectation.  I am hoping that will make up for the game or two that was lost due to a missed assignment. I also think that there will be a few more interceptions, since our safeties include some with natural ball-hawking abilities that aren't the sort of thing that need to be trained or need coordination with other players. But there is potential  for a better than average defense by mid-season. 

On 5/18/2019 at 8:19 AM, wilkie said:

Sounds like what you would expect from a really poorly coached unit. 

On 5/18/2019 at 8:19 AM, wilkie said:

You are correct that building needed chemistry on that side of the ball will take some time. But also keep in mind we not only massively upgraded our defensive coordinator, but most of the defensive staff. Truly may be our best defensive staff since the early 90s. That is going to help the learning curve. I think year 2 is when Spags has and will deliver a huge bump into the upper tiers of the league. This year its about improving as the season progresses to the point we can score 28 points in January and still win playoff games. That seems very doable with the talent and youth we have especially if we can still pickup a corner. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

You are correct that building needed chemistry on that side of the ball will take some time. But also keep in mind we not only massively upgraded our defensive coordinator, but most of the defensive staff. Truly may be our best defensive staff since the early 90s. That is going to help the learning curve. I think year 2 is when Spags has and will deliver a huge bump into the upper tiers of the league. This year its about improving as the season progresses to the point we can score 28 points in January and still win playoff games. That seems very doable with the talent and youth we have especially if we can still pickup a corner. 

Also, they drafted and traded for both speed AND intelligence.  Writers have also overplayed our crappy defensive stats last year.  We scored so quickly that teams were desperate to stay even with us and and also quickly got the ball back.  The D was on the field way longer than normal and way more times per game than normal.  That will wear guys out. Mahomes needs to corral it a bit and use a little more of the old dink and dunk to keep the ball longer.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Also, they drafted and traded for both speed AND intelligence.  Writers have also overplayed our crappy defensive stats last year.  We scored so quickly that teams were desperate to stay even with us and and also quickly got the ball back.  The D was on the field way longer than normal and way more times per game than normal.  That will wear guys out. Mahomes needs to corral it a bit and use a little more of the old dink and dunk to keep the ball longer.

what you are advocating is to get slower RB's TE's and Wr's. ..not many of PM2's TDs were 50+ yard in the air bombs

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

The D was on the field too long because they could not stop anyone.  They gave up 419 first downs which is 42 more than the runner up.  That's over 26 per game.  The offense scored fast occasionally, but they rarely turned the ball over and they rarely had 3 and outs.  They also had a lot of sustained drives.  You cannot blame the defense on this particular offense. 

On 5/17/2019 at 11:36 AM, jetlord said:

Yeah, the Chiefs need better LB play although the TE coverage problem could be a lack of good safety play as much as failure at the LB positions in many cases.  But my point was meant to be that the Chiefs greatest need all this off season is a good CB and they'e done nothing major in that area except exchange Nelson for Breeland.  Until that's addressed, I'll have little confidence in the 2019 defense. 

5 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

what you are advocating is to get slower RB's TE's and Wr's. ..not many of PM2's TDs were 50+ yard in the air bombs

Nope.  I'm saying we should make each drive longer by increasing the number of runs and spend a little longer in the huddle.  Mahomes just passed way too much. Adding one minute more to each drive rests our defense a little longer and wears out the other guys' defense a little more. It may sound less exciting, but the goal is to be a little more balanced to win a Super Bowl, not wow the sports writers.  The biggest WOW of them all is to hoist the Lombardi.

25 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Nope.  I'm saying we should make each drive longer by increasing the number of runs and spend a little longer in the huddle.  Mahomes just passed way too much. Adding one minute more to each drive rests our defense a little longer and wears out the other guys' defense a little more. It may sound less exciting, but the goal is to be a little more balanced to win a Super Bowl, not wow the sports writers.  The biggest WOW of them all is to hoist the Lombardi.

Maybe when milking a lead but most of the time one of best dynamics of this offense is we put teams on their heals and attack. They are gassed fast and have little answer. 

2 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Maybe when milking a lead but most of the time one of best dynamics of this offense is we put teams on their heals and attack. They are gassed fast and have little answer. 

But our worst dynamic was not hoisting the Lombardi.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

But our worst dynamic was not hoisting the Lombardi.

You don’t go away from your biggest strength and expect a better overall result. It was the fast break attacking style of offense that got us one offside call from the Super Bowl.  We can do a better job running clock at the end of games but again scoring early and often was the catalyst behind all of our success. Not many teams can keep up with us unless we slow ourselves down for them. 

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

That's a recipe to be... mediocre.  It is more efficient to pass than to run.  Offensive efficiency directly correlates to wins.  Andy has it right.

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Phatal, you in there?

1 hour ago, xen said:

That's a recipe to be... mediocre.  It is more efficient to pass than to run.  Offensive efficiency directly correlates to wins.  Andy has it right.

Phatal borrowed a screen name.

Archived