Chiefs trade for LB Lee from Jets

I'm sure Veach is waiting to see what any possible upcoming June 1 cuts happen at the cornerback position and elsewhere. 

I saw on the Spotrac Twitter page they had J. Ramsey and Kyle Rudolph listed as potential cap casualties come June 1.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, dksww said:

I'm sure Veach is waiting to see what any possible upcoming June 1 cuts happen at the cornerback position and elsewhere. 

I saw on the Spotrac Twitter page they had J. Ramsey and Kyle Rudolph listed as potential cap casualties come June 1.

Seems KC has cap space4 for at least 1 good addition. 

2 hours ago, dksww said:

I think if a team is willing to give up a 5th/6th they could have Rudolph right now. He really could be released though. Ramsey? That makes no sense. 3.2 million dollar CAP hit for a top ten young player and they have to release him? We got a 2nd and 5th in a similar spot. 

13 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

I think if a team is willing to give up a 5th/6th they could have Rudolph right now. He really could be released though. Ramsey? That makes no sense. 3.2 million dollar CAP hit for a top ten young player and they have to release him? We got a 2nd and 5th in a similar spot. 

Rudolph makes 7 million though and that's what teams don't wanna pay him.  If he isn't traded for then he gets cut.

Ramsey is more likely to be traded.

7 minutes ago, dksww said:

Rudolph makes 7 million though and that's what teams don't wanna pay him.  If he isn't traded for then he gets cut.

Ramsey is more likely to be traded.

Good point on Rudolph although there are teams out there with lots of CAP space to burn. Or restructure into a two year deal if you don’t want him to hit free agency. Cut does seem most likely  

Agree on Ramsey. Either traded or not moved at all. 

6 hours ago, moons314 said:

I feel like they have a definite direction here, and I like it.  I could be wrong, but this is how I interpret the building of the defense.  There's going to be less emphasis on edge rushers.  We are going to stock guys in the back 7 that can cover and knock receivers off of routes, but also speedier guys.  This in turn leaves me believing that there's going to be a bit of creativity within the defensive scheme, going back to my first point about less emphasis on pure edge rushers.  I'm thinking a Steelers style defense, cover the receivers, disguise your blitzers, and run varying zone blitzes to try to keep the QB uncomfortable.  I don't look for this team to be overly stout against the run, but much improved from last year, I'm guess in the 15-20 ranking league wide.  I think it's going to be vastly improved against the pass, and this whole thing is by design.  Our offense is going to score points.  Lots of points.  I think the overall plan here is to win track meets, as we have an unreal QB who is a year more experienced, so the goal is for the offense to take the opposing running game off the table, while the defense creatively finds ways to pressure the QB, and get nasty on the turnovers.  I could be wrong, but this is just how it seems to me the plan is falling out. 

Good post and I agree it’s not only about a culture change to a tougher defense but also a change in philosophy based around scheme. I think like Spags classic teams we are looking for our dline to be the destructive force and then a lot of system types in the back. And man could our dline develop into something special at least on paper. 

This still isn’t gonna happen overnight with so many new players and a new system  But I think long term our optimism is grounded in reality. They aren’t trying to band aid together an okay group that simply helps offense. Sure looks to me like they want a stand alone group that in time can help us win big games and not just tread water. 

A complete team with a young MVP QB. What’s possible if Veach can ultimately pull that off! 

2 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

In pass coverage Lee was the fourth rated PFF linebacker last season.  Talk about a fit for our needs!

Yes, I was saying this earlier but his pass rushing is not all that great from what I read. I am sure though if a pass rusher is needed in obvious passing downs, they may bring in the fresh DOD for it. I am curious just to see the stunts and such that Spags will run. This may help Lee along with being in a 4-3 defense.

The Chiefs might (or might not) be done with splashy moves

Per OverTheCap, the Chiefs had about $16.7 million of available cap space before the trade. With it, the figure will drop to about $15.4 million — Lee’s contract will consume $1.8 million, and $570,000 will be added back in as Zack Golditch’s contract drops below the 51-player cutoff. On June 2, Eric Berry’s contract will come off the books, and that will add another $9 million to the total — $9.5 million in cap savings, less Golditch’s contract when it moves back up above the cutoff.

It will be interesting to see how this works out.  Low risk trade at a position of need for a guy with talent that has underperformed so far.  Sometimes it's easier to perform when you are playing for a contender than when you are phoning in another 5-11 season.  I can't see how this could be a bad thing.

Looks like the CHIEFS Missing LINK........Slot Coverage...Tight End....I like this guys upside! 

The bottom line

Just like any player that you can land with a day-three draft pick, Lee is far from a perfect player. He still has some mental processing issues that keep him from focusing on his assignment completely and isn’t built to bang between the tackles.

That said, the upside is plentiful.

Lee has a rare feel for coverage, some from his time at Ohio State—when he was used, essentially, as a large slot defensive back—that allows him to be a major matchup weapon.

Lee has a rare feel for coverage, some from his time at Ohio State—when he was used, essentially, as a large slot defensive back—that allows him to be a major matchup weapon.

Combining his athleticism and improving read-and-react skills makes him, at minimum, a quality coverage linebacker. There is a strong chance he pushes for starting reps given what the top-end play looks like and the ability to be such an impact player against the pass.

House and Spagnuolo have both had unique and exotic schemes for their linebackers recently. Using them on blitzes, in coverage and putting them in the best spot for them to succeed is something they’ve been able to do routinely.

Lee is a player whose strengths align very well with the modern NFL, so it’s exciting to think about what they will be able to work up for him in this new Chiefs defense.

This is a low risk/possible high reward type of move. If you go back and look at draft analysis on Lee it is all over the board. Regrades went from A- when drafted to a C- because he simply has not played up to the level of a 1st round talent. Interestingly, I saw a quote from an AFC exec who said that Lee was a much better all around player than Ragland. Maybe Rags gets cut because of the Lee signing. I certainly have trouble seeing how he fits.

8 hours ago, dhitter said:

This is a low risk/possible high reward type of move. If you go back and look at draft analysis on Lee it is all over the board. Regrades went from A- when drafted to a C- because he simply has not played up to the level of a 1st round talent. Interestingly, I saw a quote from an AFC exec who said that Lee was a much better all around player than Ragland. Maybe Rags gets cut because of the Lee signing. I certainly have trouble seeing how he fits.

Rags is worth keeping for depth. Let him leave for FA and get a possible comp pick then.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Rags is worth keeping for depth. Let him leave for FA and get a possible comp pick then.

Not sure if he brings anything back. However there's no reason to cut him unless they are planning on using that cap space for any other need. He was decent in 2017 so may be bounces back but his stint in Buffalo didn't really show anything good. 

3 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Not sure if he brings anything back. However there's no reason to cut him unless they are planning on using that cap space for any other need. He was decent in 2017 so may be bounces back but his stint in Buffalo didn't really show anything good. 

And if he proves very useful in this new scheme with coaches etc he may be worth an extension. I dont believe we cut him because he is good depth and we have yet to see how he does.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:57 AM, reesebobby said:

Presumably a late 6th.  Almost 7th.

All these deals we’ve made and with the projected 4th comp pick. I think we still have 7 picks next year with five in the first four rounds.  Can anyone confirm this?

23 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

All these deals we’ve made and with the projected 4th comp pick. I think we still have 7 picks next year with five in the first four rounds.  Can anyone confirm this?

6 picks. 1-5 picks are all there but we get a 4th then it will be 6. Round 2 pick to Seattle (lower of our pick or SF pick whichever is lowest), traded the 6th round pick for Lee and 7th round pick to Miami for Jordan Lucas.

3 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

6 picks. 1-5 picks are all there but we get a 4th then it will be 6. Round 2 pick to Seattle (lower of our pick or SF pick whichever is lowest), traded the 6th round pick for Lee and 7th round pick to Miami for Jordan Lucas.

Great work. Thanks!

16 hours ago, jetlord said:

Can Lee play CB?  If not, what's the big deal? 

It is. We were roasted by tight ends! Remember the rams game? And New England 

If he can cover tight ends, it’s a big deal.

Archived