Interesting Chiefs stats and win projections without Tyreek

6 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I have the same question, can he stay healthy. If healthy he has many tools to be successful but his career is turning into Berry, great talent that can't stay healthy. Hopefully he'll bounce back this year and have the breakout we were expecting.

Well he is playing for a contract imo. I dont know what he has done in the off season but he needs to be looking at every option out there for his feet. Maybe specialized shoes, operations to correct a deformity whatever it is he needs to really look all over to figure it out. I have had operations and such on my feet for many things. Yes it changed me but I worked through it all for my profession. I am paying the price where I get splinter type fractures but a simple thing as shoe inserts/cushions changed it all for the better. I have to believe he has done all he can or at least trying to do so.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a good question.  He does seem to get injured a lot.  Maybe the anatomy in his foot is not quite right for a guy who tries to do what he does with them  I do remember when they were taping him up on the sideline after his injury.  They were doing an over/under tape alternating in front and back of his ankle, like they were trying to stabilize the entire bottom of his foot, the plantar fascia.  It looked bad to me, an it turned out to be bad.  Those sole of the foot injuries take a long time to heal.  And you can't just lie down with it elevated for a month. You still have to get around.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

I have the same question, can he stay healthy. If healthy he has many tools to be successful but his career is turning into Berry, great talent that can't stay healthy. Hopefully he'll bounce back this year and have the breakout we were expecting.

We are basically on the same page here. I just don't agree Veach could have done much more to protect us from the risk of Tyreeks character and find a decent replacement for losing Kareem and also completely rebuild the defense in such a short period of time. Tyreek and Kareem are not his guys. Now if something happens with Frank Clark it is. Bottom line is if Watkins has a healthy season in him, we REALLY need this to be one of them!

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

I’m not worried about our offense as long as we have two of our big three on the field.  Having all three puts us in a league by ourselves. 

Again we played the games you mentioned without Watkins and still got it done. 

But you notice who our best WR was in January or who we went to to get back into Patriots game. Watkins.

Just my opinion but if he can stay healthy I think you will see a monster season from him. If he doesn’t stay healthy and Tyreek can’t play, it’s going to matter much more than anyone realizes.  

Other than the fact the patriots schemed to take away Hill, Watkins had 114 yds on 4 catches with one being a 54 yder. So 8 targets and 4 catches.

With Hill in the Indy game, he had 6 for 62 with one of them being a 34 yder.

Not impressed at all.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

Other than the fact the patriots schemed to take away Hill, Watkins had 114 yds on 4 catches with one being a 54 yder. So 8 targets and 4 catches.

Not impressed at all.

Those avg out to 1232 yard over 14 games assuming he misses a game or two.  If not thats 1408 yards.  Not sure what’s not impressive about that.  That would have been 5th best in the nfl.   Not saying it justifies his contract but it’s far from unimpressive.

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Not impressed at all.

You've got to have some perspective on these numbers. Watkins was in a walking boot for six weeks until the week of the Colts playoff game. He wasn't 100 percent and still was very productive. Consider we had the Colts game in hand at halftime and basically shut the offense down. Watkins had 100 yards in the second half of the AFC Championship game against a BB defense. That's coming up big at a crucial time. Also consider Tyreek missed the second half of the Broncos-Chiefs game at Arrowhead and Watkins responded as the primary receiver with 108 yards and 2 TDs. I think Watkins is a major talent which combined with this QB can have gigantic year. We can agree to disagree if you don't believe that. I think we both are on the same page though about him staying healthy.  It's VERY dicey to count on that.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Those avg out to 1232 yard over 14 games assuming he misses a game or two.  If not thats 1408 yards.  Not sure what’s not impressive about that.  That would have been 5th best in the nfl.   Not saying it justifies his contract but it’s far from unimpressive.

And the key to that contract is Mahomes on a rookie contract. Plus as a whole our WR group is very proportionately responsible to the overall CAP. Bottom line is Veach said believes Watkins can be elite in this offense when he signed him. It's nice to have a 25 year old former 4th overall pick on your roster as a number 2 WR or as a backup plan for a rainy day. It looks like its raining, so its time for Watkins to produce or we will need to move on next offseason. And Veach gave us an out clause there too.   

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Not impressed at all.

If you are not impressed with Hill in that game, you are failing to consider that he was a deep route decoy used to clear out things for Watkins.  It also shows that the stats depend on the number of targets.  A QB has to throw to a receiver for a receiver to make a reception and yardage.

18 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

If you are not impressed with Hill in that game, you are failing to consider that he was a deep route decoy used to clear out things for Watkins.  It also shows that the stats depend on the number of targets.  A QB has to throw to a receiver for a receiver to make a reception and yardage.

W-w-w-w-what?

You spelled "catches" wrong.

Man had 8, EIGHT, opportunities to "CATCH" the ball and failed 50% of the time.

43 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

W-w-w-w-what?

You spelled "catches" wrong.

Man had 8, EIGHT, opportunities to "CATCH" the ball and failed 50% of the time.

Targeting does not mean catchable though. A lot of balls can be thrown his way that were not catchable. How many of the 8 targets were actual drops is the stat you are looking for.

17 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Targeting does not mean catchable though. A lot of balls can be thrown his way that were not catchable. How many of the 8 targets were actual drops is the stat you are looking for.

Watkins was the leading receiver on the field in the biggest game the AFC has to offer and going heads up against the Patriots best cornerback. With the wind chill near zero it just wasn’t easy to throw or catch that day and it was reflective in most of the WRs and TEs.  

I do remember he had one bad drop on a screen. For the most part though once Andy figured out how to attack BBs defense, it was downfield to WRs and wheel routes to RBs. Just a remarkable second half by the offense to torch the Patriots defense.  But as Mahomes said this week, don’t blame Dee Ford, blame him for missing a few passes early that could have sealed it. Man I love our MVP!

22 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Not impressed at all.

Hands is just triggered because he's never seen good QB play this decade, and isn't likely to anytime soon.  

1 hour ago, xen said:

Hands is just triggered because he's never seen good QB play this decade, and isn't likely to anytime soon.  

Sorry, what did you say? I was shining the Super Bowl 47 trophy that Joe Flacco, Super Bowl MVP, won for us in 2013.........

Pretty interesting discussion on the Program with Soren Petro going on about Tyreek. First Roger Goodell said today the league is waiting for the investigation (whether that's Child Services or Criminal we don't know) and will interview Tyreek and then make a decision on any suspension. Soren has really changed his stance from releasing him to saying without a "smoking gun" that proves Tyreek abused his kid he's very likely going to be playing for the Chiefs this year. Everyone agreed. Likewise everyone agreed  a multi game suspension is also coming regardless mainly because the audio tape, which they agreed is proof of nothing, but is a very bad look. And the league doesn't like bad looks. 

Pretty much exactly where I'm at. I'd say the odds have tilted to about 55 percent that we have him for at least half the season. But that other 45 percent is looming large still. Absolute best case scenario is Tyreek earns his kid back this summer and keeps himself in counseling. His kid needs him and we do too. Nothing would still surprise me here though. They could arrest him tomorrow for all we know. 

Archived