NFL summer subplots: One burning question for each AFC team- NFL.com

Kansas City Chiefs: Will Tyreek Hill be on the team in September -- and if not, can Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid overcome the loss?

The air around the Chiefs should be thick with optimism. They're coming off their first AFC Championship Game appearance in 25 years. Their third-year quarterback is the reigning MVP and "Madden" coverboy. They added playmaking safety Tyrann Mathieu and 13-sack edge rusher Frank Clark in the offseason. And yet! A dark cloud still hovers over the organization, as Tyreek Hill's legal situation grows more complicated and the All-Pro receiver remains away from the facility, per team orders. Arguably the team's most valuable player over the last two seasons, Hill, if he were to be suspended by the league or released by the team, would be an immeasurable loss, though not one Kansas City hasn't been planning for. One day after the Chiefs barred Hill from team activities, they drafted a speedy returner-receiver in Georgia's Mecole Hardman. But a Hill clone is not Hill, and Kansas City's offense figures to take a step back in 2019. (Granted, it's hard to take a step forward from last year's outstanding output.) As great as they are, will Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid be able to compensate for the potential losses of Hill and Kareem Hunt, now with the Browns, with an offense whose main producer, outside of Travis Kelce, figures to be Damien Williams?

On 5/22/2019 at 12:10 PM, Handswarmer said:

Kansas City Chiefs: Will Tyreek Hill be on the team in September -- and if not, can Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid overcome the loss?

The air around the Chiefs should be thick with optimism. They're coming off their first AFC Championship Game appearance in 25 years. Their third-year quarterback is the reigning MVP and "Madden" coverboy. They added playmaking safety Tyrann Mathieu and 13-sack edge rusher Frank Clark in the offseason. And yet! A dark cloud still hovers over the organization, as Tyreek Hill's legal situation grows more complicated and the All-Pro receiver remains away from the facility, per team orders. Arguably the team's most valuable player over the last two seasons, Hill, if he were to be suspended by the league or released by the team, would be an immeasurable loss, though not one Kansas City hasn't been planning for. One day after the Chiefs barred Hill from team activities, they drafted a speedy returner-receiver in Georgia's Mecole Hardman. But a Hill clone is not Hill, and Kansas City's offense figures to take a step back in 2019. (Granted, it's hard to take a step forward from last year's outstanding output.) As great as they are, will Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid be able to compensate for the potential losses of Hill and Kareem Hunt, now with the Browns, with an offense whose main producer, outside of Travis Kelce, figures to be Damien Williams?

The only answer I can give is..."In Andy and Patrick I trust". Damien Williams averaged 5.1 yards per carry last year after Hunt was cut. That's actually better than Hunt's average. So I think the running game will be okay. The loss of Hill would be massive. They won't be able to replace him...but Mecole Hardman can replace some of what he does and I trust Reid to be creative enough to get other players like DeMarcus Robinson and Gehrig Deiter involved. IF...and its a big if...Watkins can stay healthy for the whole year that would be tremendous. Maybe one of the UDFA's emerges. Ask Albert Wilson about how having Mahomes throwing to you can elevate a player's game?

On 5/25/2019 at 8:32 PM, dhitter said:

The only answer I can give is..."In Andy and Patrick I trust". Damien Williams averaged 5.1 yards per carry last year after Hunt was cut. That's actually better than Hunt's average. So I think the running game will be okay. The loss of Hill would be massive. They won't be able to replace him...but Mecole Hardman can replace some of what he does and I trust Reid to be creative enough to get other players like DeMarcus Robinson and Gehrig Deiter involved. IF...and its a big if...Watkins can stay healthy for the whole year that would be tremendous. Maybe one of the UDFA's emerges. Ask Albert Wilson about how having Mahomes throwing to you can elevate a player's game?

My sentiments exactly

Archived