WHY THE CHIEFS WILL BE AN IMPROVED TEAM

Here we are starting up OTA's and finally getting a look at the 2019 Chiefs.  Up to this point, everything is theoretical on what we could expect and since they are in shorts, things are still limited on what you can project.  I am still going to project out why I think this team will be better this year.

ENERGY AND INCREASED COMPETITION

The first thing that is clearly noticeable is that there is a ton of energy with this team this year.  This is particularly noticeable on the Defense.  It was not a coincidence that Mahomes had some difficulty with a few teams initially, but was able to adjust at Halftime.  You practice against vanilla, you may get taken aback when you get something exotic.  Spags Defense is getting after it and the level of competitive spirit on that Defense.  The Defense is forcing Mahomes to go through his progressions and is getting after him.  Competition between Offense and Defense is intense.  This is gonna make both sides of the ball get better.  We will see more when they get in pads,  but I like the directions this is going.

Another year of Seasoning on Offense

Sammy Wadkins knows the offense now and he can concentrate on fine tuning his craft.  There is a ton of competition pushing the whole group and Wadkins looks to be setting the tone.  As it looks right now,  Tyreek Hill is gonna play this year.  What is not known is whether or not he will get suspended.  With Harman in the mix,  I think this could be an extremely exciting group to watch.

Our Offensive Coaches were just feeling things out last year with Patrick Mahomes.  They now are fine tuning and working on some of the little things with him.  Footwork,  progression of his reads and chemistry with the receivers should all improve with another year of seasoning.  Additionally Wyllie is another year in and he looks to be moving to Left Guard.   The Offensive line looks like it is going to be solid across the board.   The only position that may not be completely settled is center,  although Reiter seems to be the guy who has the spot for now.

Running Back has a chance to be really interesting.  Last year, we really did not have very many shifty guys that were dangerous taking passes out of the backfield.  Hunt was good at it, but after that, MEH.  I like Thompson and Williams and the possibilities that they bring.  I can imagine that the Chiefs will have some personnel groupings with these guys in there that are going to give Defenses fits. Any Reid is one of the best at molding his offense to take advantage of the players he has.  We were kind of a thumper group at running back last year.  This year it is much more versatile.  I like it.

I believe this Offense may not be statistically as good as last year,  but I think they have a chance to be better and have the ability to really sustain drives to protect a lead.

DEFENSE

Everyone in the Stands knew what Bob Sutton was going to do last year.  Getting off the field was a problem was a huge problem for the Chiefs Defense.  A lot of analysts are still looking at this Defense as if it were being coached by Bob Sutton,  Which required studs everywhere.   We have a good line that is going to cause problems.  We now have some additional speed at linebacker.  A couple of solid safties and arguably a more solid cornerback room,  albeit not a group full of superstars.  Defenses often take on the personality of their Coach.  If that is the case,  this group is going to play like its hair is on fire.  While we may not be the 85 Bears,  I think this Defense has the potential to be really good.  Especially if they can pin their ears back and get after the quarterback.

All in all , I feel pretty good about this team.  Other teams have gotten better,  but none of them are on the same level Offensively if we have Tyreek on the Field.  Add an improved Defense and I really find it hard to pick against the Chiefs in any single game this year.  I can see a lot of blowouts and maybe a couple losses in very close games. It will definitely be interesting watching the team grown, but at this point I am pretty excited.

3 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

Here we are starting up OTA's and finally getting a look at the 2019 Chiefs.  Up to this point, everything is theoretical on what we could expect and since they are in shorts, things are still limited on what you can project.  I am still going to project out why I think this team will be better this year.

ENERGY AND INCREASED COMPETITION

The first thing that is clearly noticeable is that there is a ton of energy with this team this year.  This is particularly noticeable on the Defense.  It was not a coincidence that Mahomes had some difficulty with a few teams initially, but was able to adjust at Halftime.  You practice against vanilla, you may get taken aback when you get something exotic.  Spags Defense is getting after it and the level of competitive spirit on that Defense.  The Defense is forcing Mahomes to go through his progressions and is getting after him.  Competition between Offense and Defense is intense.  This is gonna make both sides of the ball get better.  We will see more when they get in pads,  but I like the directions this is going.

Another year of Seasoning on Offense

Sammy Wadkins knows the offense now and he can concentrate on fine tuning his craft.  There is a ton of competition pushing the whole group and Wadkins looks to be setting the tone.  As it looks right now,  Tyreek Hill is gonna play this year.  What is not known is whether or not he will get suspended.  With Harman in the mix,  I think this could be an extremely exciting group to watch.

Our Offensive Coaches were just feeling things out last year with Patrick Mahomes.  They now are fine tuning and working on some of the little things with him.  Footwork,  progression of his reads and chemistry with the receivers should all improve with another year of seasoning.  Additionally Wyllie is another year in and he looks to be moving to Left Guard.   The Offensive line looks like it is going to be solid across the board.   The only position that may not be completely settled is center,  although Reiter seems to be the guy who has the spot for now.

Running Back has a chance to be really interesting.  Last year, we really did not have very many shifty guys that were dangerous taking passes out of the backfield.  Hunt was good at it, but after that, MEH.  I like Thompson and Williams and the possibilities that they bring.  I can imagine that the Chiefs will have some personnel groupings with these guys in there that are going to give Defenses fits. Any Reid is one of the best at molding his offense to take advantage of the players he has.  We were kind of a thumper group at running back last year.  This year it is much more versatile.  I like it.

I believe this Offense may not be statistically as good as last year,  but I think they have a chance to be better and have the ability to really sustain drives to protect a lead.

DEFENSE

Everyone in the Stands knew what Bob Sutton was going to do last year.  Getting off the field was a problem was a huge problem for the Chiefs Defense.  A lot of analysts are still looking at this Defense as if it were being coached by Bob Sutton,  Which required studs everywhere.   We have a good line that is going to cause problems.  We now have some additional speed at linebacker.  A couple of solid safties and arguably a more solid cornerback room,  albeit not a group full of superstars.  Defenses often take on the personality of their Coach.  If that is the case,  this group is going to play like its hair is on fire.  While we may not be the 85 Bears,  I think this Defense has the potential to be really good.  Especially if they can pin their ears back and get after the quarterback.

All in all , I feel pretty good about this team.  Other teams have gotten better,  but none of them are on the same level Offensively if we have Tyreek on the Field.  Add an improved Defense and I really find it hard to pick against the Chiefs in any single game this year.  I can see a lot of blowouts and maybe a couple losses in very close games. It will definitely be interesting watching the team grown, but at this point I am pretty excited.

Good take 

National media take...

"The Chiefs are without Kareem Hunt and could be without Tyreek Hill. Teams will eventually figure out Patrick Mahomes so don't expect 50 touchdowns and 5,000 yards. You can't rely on Sammy Watkins either because of his injury history and the Chiefs are an injury to Travis Kelce away from having nobody. (Actually that last part is kinda true).

Defensively the Chiefs got rid of Dee Ford and Justin Houston who accounted for 22 sacks last year. The one thing the Chiefs did well last year was pressure and sack the QB. They also got rid of Eric Berry. They dumped Bob Sutton and brought in Steve Spagnoulo to try and fix the 31st ranked defense. They did bring in Tyrann Mathieu and Frank Clark but they swapped 2 good players for 2 good players so the net effect is only felt with the amount of money they doled out for replacements. With so much need on the defensive side the Chiefs used their 1st pick in the draft on an offensive player and did little to nothing to help their beleaguered CB position.

All in all it would appear the Chiefs are hoping a change in defensive coaching/scheme and another big year from Patrick Mahomes will carry them to the AFC title game again. In our opinion the Chargers are the more complete team and will win the AFC West (something they haven't done since 2009 even though pundits have predicted them the past 2 years) and the Chiefs will take a step back."

4 hours ago, dhitter said:

National media take...

"The Chiefs are without Kareem Hunt and could be without Tyreek Hill. Teams will eventually figure out Patrick Mahomes so don't expect 50 touchdowns and 5,000 yards. You can't rely on Sammy Watkins either because of his injury history and the Chiefs are an injury to Travis Kelce away from having nobody. (Actually that last part is kinda true).

Defensively the Chiefs got rid of Dee Ford and Justin Houston who accounted for 22 sacks last year. The one thing the Chiefs did well last year was pressure and sack the QB. They also got rid of Eric Berry. They dumped Bob Sutton and brought in Steve Spagnoulo to try and fix the 31st ranked defense. They did bring in Tyrann Mathieu and Frank Clark but they swapped 2 good players for 2 good players so the net effect is only felt with the amount of money they doled out for replacements. With so much need on the defensive side the Chiefs used their 1st pick in the draft on an offensive player and did little to nothing to help their beleaguered CB position.

All in all it would appear the Chiefs are hoping a change in defensive coaching/scheme and another big year from Patrick Mahomes will carry them to the AFC title game again. In our opinion the Chargers are the more complete team and will win the AFC West (something they haven't done since 2009 even though pundits have predicted them the past 2 years) and the Chiefs will take a step back."

This reads like an opposing team fan wrote it. Sometimes I can be a homer, so reading research/fact based analysis that isn’t filtered through by rose colored glasses can be helpful, but this “analysis” is heavily slanted anti Chiefs propaganda. 

The defense won’t be worse than 2018. I think it bill be improve. Even a modest improvement would provide dividends to a team that was one stop short of the Super Bowl. 

Every team is an injury to a super star away from taking a step back, so the Kelce point is moot. 

Did teams “figured out” Manning, Brady or Farve?  Not that Mohomes with throw for 50/5000, but he’s still special and one of the best qb’s in the league. 

The Chiefs may not win the west for the fourth time in a row, but they will be in very game in 2019 and will continue us to contend for some time to come. 

I don't see how our defense can get any worse, CB position will be the biggest concern. Wouldn't mind picking up McCoy for the right price to keep a solid rotation and keep Jones healthy and fresh for the entire season.

The chargers have been deemed the team to beat, or making the turn, or the more complete team for how many years now? 

Longer the Hill deal takes, the more likely he plays which is fine by me as I just see him as a tool to get us where we need to go. My concern is the running game, Red abandons it too frequently and we don't have a Hunt type guy that can make big gains on limited opportunities. But Pat will play off the charts again with what he has. If he learns to take the easy dump offs when needed, he's going to be unstoppable. 

Go chiefs! 

18 hours ago, TomahawkChop said:

This reads like an opposing team fan wrote it. Sometimes I can be a homer, so reading research/fact based analysis that isn’t filtered through by rose colored glasses can be helpful, but this “analysis” is heavily slanted anti Chiefs propaganda. 

The defense won’t be worse than 2018. I think it bill be improve. Even a modest improvement would provide dividends to a team that was one stop short of the Super Bowl. 

Every team is an injury to a super star away from taking a step back, so the Kelce point is moot. 

Did teams “figured out” Manning, Brady or Farve?  Not that Mohomes with throw for 50/5000, but he’s still special and one of the best qb’s in the league. 

The Chiefs may not win the west for the fourth time in a row, but they will be in very game in 2019 and will continue us to contend for some time to come. 

That isn't my take you are responding to...that is a composite of several TV analyst's opinions rolled into one. I say if the defense is noticeably improved and Hill comes back we will not only win the West but be in the AFC title game again.

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

That isn't my take you are responding to...that is a composite of several TV analyst's opinions rolled into one. I say if the defense is noticeably improved and Hill comes back we will not only win the West but be in the AFC title game again.

I knew that. Sorry if you thought I was bagging on you. 

On 5/25/2019 at 8:09 PM, dhitter said:

National media take...

The National media needs to let the "Chiefs Don't have Hunt" statement die, because the chiefs have moved on

and as we all know two out of the three defensive players hardly made it to game day so we got better with Clark and the Honey Badger.

pretty sure PM has not been figured out so i am not going to waste my energy on that statement.

5 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

The National media needs to let the "Chiefs Don't have Hunt" statement die, because the chiefs have moved on

and as we all know two out of the three defensive players hardly made it to game day so we got better with Clark and the Honey Badger.

pretty sure PM has not been figured out so i am not going to waste my energy on that statement.

Agree. 

Defense better across the board. CB is a push or a little better. Lost Nelson and added Breeland. Slight upgrade at least. 

Offense returns. A Hill suspension is the only concern. A healthier line and Watkins can help offset that.

Bottom line is a much better defense and slightly less offense. 12-4. Mark it down.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

Defense better across the board. CB is a push or a little better. Lost Nelson and added Breeland. Slight upgrade at least. 

Offense returns. A Hill suspension is the only concern. A healthier line and Watkins can help offset that.

Bottom line is a much better defense and slightly less offense. 12-4. Mark it down.

Nope!  8-8.  An expert from KU told me to bank on it. 

I listen a lot to the Arrowhead Pride podcast and they are doing a log of film study on Spagnolo and what to expect from this Defense.  Last year we got a lot of pass rush and sacks, but still gave up a ton of points and yards.  I think the sacks we got last year were a bit misleading.  If a team constantly tried to beat us deep and the QB held onto the ball, our Defense gave them fits.  If they were really good with short to intermediate routes, ( Patriots),  they gave us fits.   The difference with the new Defense is that they attack differently.  More zone, but as they put it (not Bob Sutton Zone with 15 yard cushion)., but more of a aggressive tighter zone designed to take routes away.  Corner is still a bit of a question,  but that is not where we got torched last year.  It was the linebackers and safeties in coverage that killed us and not being able to stop the run.  I really think they are going to make big strides in stopping the run and making the quarterback have to work a lot harder to find open windows.  Sack production will be down, but still should be pretty good.

On the Offense,  it looks to me like Hill is gonna play.  I cannot imagine anything more that a 6 game suspension.  I feel we have the personnel to be very productive with the players we have.  Add Hill and the Offense is a nightmare to go against. 

Everyone keeps saying the Chargers.  Well , folks, the Chargers have been the most talented team in the NFL for at least the past 4 years and they have not done jack shit, yet.  So until proven otherwise,  please don't beat the Chargers drum.

I do agree that there is a lot to prove,  but I think our Defense is gonna surprise a lot of people.  It is not as simple as swapping 2 good players for another two good players.  It is more about getting the most of the 11 you put  on the field by putting guys in positions to take advantage of what they do well, whereas Sutton tried to get the most out of his scheme by trying to outsmart the opposition, often asking his players to do things they did not do well.

On 5/27/2019 at 7:15 PM, DieHard said:

I think you meant to say 15-4.........

Archived