Watkins- Peter King

Sammy Watkins evidently hears what’s said about him out in the Twittersphere and any other football spheres that talk football. His record after five years in the NFL shows that two teams (Buffalo, in the 2014 draft; Kansas City, in free agency in 2018) have significantly overpaid for him. The Bills traded two first-round picks and a fourth-round pick to take him fourth overall in 2014, and then the Chiefs paid $16 million a year for him in 2018. Once he’s caught more than 60 passes in a season; never has he had 10 or more touchdowns in a season.

So last week Watkins tweeted:

I will be the best this year mark my word I want it more now than I ever did before in my life im sacrificing everything to get to where I once was the world will now get to witness my greatness again..! #STARSHIP14 #LIMITLESS14

Foot issues have plagued the speedy Watkins going back to his second season. He’s never been right for any of the three seasons since.

Sammy Watkins, average production per season in the last three years
Games: 11
Receptions: 35.7
Yards: 514
TD: 4.3
Offensive plays: 538

It was strange to see and hear, in the wake of Tyreek Hill’s questionable status for the 2019 season, that there was very little reliance on Watkins by the Chiefs to fill the void that could be left if Hill misses significant time. So it’s good to see Watkins’ determination to finally fulfill the great expectations that trailed him out of Clemson in 2014 and that he’s never been able to live up

9 hours ago, Balto said:

I think Sammy gets that this is his best and probably last shot at becoming elite.  Man I hope he stays healthy

His contract is set up that way as well at least as far as his tenure here. If gets it done we carry his big 2020 salary or restructure and extend.  If he can’t stay healthy we cut him with no real dead CAP and probably look to both free agency and draft. 

14 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

His contract is set up that way as well at least as far as his tenure here. If gets it done we carry his big 2020 salary or restructure and extend.  If he can’t stay healthy we cut him with no real dead CAP and probably look to both free agency and draft. 

Exactly and I'm sure his agent reminds him of it every day haha

Archived