Spags on Tanoh and Speaks

Spags was asked about them at his press conference today. His response on Tanoh was basically "He's got great length and you just can't coach that. Hopefully we can get him going in the right direction. Next question."   I'd put his chances of making the 53 at less than 50 percent if this statement is as it seems.  

Also asked about Speaks "They had him playing out of position a little bit last year. I went back and watched mostly college tape on him where he was playing inside and defensive end. I think he's a guy who can play all around for us which is invaluable. But we will see how he does as the final 53 shakes out."    Not exactly a ringing endorsement either and maybe his weight has something to do with that. But better than Tanoh I guess.  

27 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Damn. Makes Speaks sound like a bubble guy. Hope that's just to motivate him. 

There was a ton of buzz about Speaks prior to these OTAs. So maybe he just meant who we keep around him would dictate where he plays the most? I hope so. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

Spags was asked about them at his press conference today. His response on Tanoh was basically "He's got great length and you just can't coach that. Hopefully we can get him going in the right direction. Next question."   I'd put his chances of making the 53 at less than 50 percent if this statement is as it seems.  

Also asked about Speaks "They had him playing out of position a little bit last year. I went back and watched mostly college tape on him where he was playing inside and defensive end. I think he's a guy who can play all around for us which is invaluable. But we will see how he does as the final 53 shakes out."    Not exactly a ringing endorsement either and maybe his weight has something to do with that. But better than Tanoh I guess.  

nothing like worrying about OTA's, eh Mike?  lol

Sounds like what we all most thought and that Sutton is moron and had him playing outside like an idiot.

He's right about Speaks, in college thad him playing DL and DE.  I'm sure that's the plan this year in a 4-3. 

also keep in mind, we hired NE's DL coach in the off-season who got tremendous production out of a no name DL in NE.

1 minute ago, reesebobby said:

Very few on this defense should be comfortable with a roster spot.  This was a horrible defense to start with, and we are changing schemes and coordinators.  Until he sees them more than just OTAs, he really can't commit too much. 

EXACTLY....ALL THOSE GUYS HAD AMPLE OPPORTUNITY TO STAND OUT AT SOMETHING EVEN IF THE SCHEME WAS FUNKY.  THEY DID NOT. KPASS IS A BUST & SPEAKS IS ON THE BUBBLE AS HE SHOULD BE.

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

Very few on this defense should be comfortable with a roster spot.  This was a horrible defense to start with, and we are changing schemes and coordinators.  Until he sees them more than just OTAs, he really can't commit too much. 

Spags actually made a comment today about how little he can really find out until they put the pads on. So maybe everything he is saying is based on tape review and much less on what he's actually seeing. Very good point. 

9 hours ago, dksww said:

nothing like worrying about OTA's, eh Mike?  lol

Sounds like what we all most thought and that Sutton is moron and had him playing outside like an idiot.

He's right about Speaks, in college thad him playing DL and DE.  I'm sure that's the plan this year in a 4-3. 

also keep in mind, we hired NE's DL coach in the off-season who got tremendous production out of a no name DL in NE.

I don’t put much stock in OTAs until the normal upbeat coach speak goes south. Our D coordinator saying he hopes Tanoh can get it turned around is a little disheartening. At least it is to me. Again just gotta hope this is meant to motivate and not sour.  How confident are you our 2016 second round pick makes the 53?

i will leave this with one small pebble of hope here.  He was compared to Justin Tuck when drafted who I believe Spags coached?

5 hours ago, Palangi said:

This is going to be a funny thread to come back to in a couple months.  Over-reactions to OTA comments. 

When a coach basically has nothing to say about a player other than he hopes the player can get it turned around.  It generally doesn’t bode well.  

We aren’t talking about INTs or drops on a media report from camp. I personally think there’s a big difference. I certainly hope like Spags Tanoh can get his career turned around. It’s time for him and several others we’ve been carrying to actually earn their spots. 

And possibly that is exactly what Spags is saying. Tanoh should be nervous and hopefully preparing harder than ever as such. 

Arrowhead Pride 

From the upside down: What if Tanoh or Speaks gets better?

For those of you that aren’t fans of the Netflix show, Stranger Things, the “upside down” is an alternate dimension where things are crazy.

In the real world, actions mean more than words. The Chiefs have completely overhauled the EDGE position in a way that doesn’t show much confidence in Breeland Speaks or Tanoh Kpassagnon. Both former second-round picks fit the mold of what Steve Spagnuolo is looking for in a defensive end, at least physically. But, they both have been underwhelming thus far. If the team really loved the potential of Speaks or Kpassagnon, they wouldn’t have invested in three guys to play ahead of them.

That being said... what if they do somehow get an opportunity and show improvement?

Even if that opportunity is at a different position. Speaks appears to have bulked up (maybe or maybe not on purpose), so perhaps he will get an opportunity inside. What if Kpassagnon could get snaps as a situational pass-rusher, maybe even from the SAM position? These two guys are still on the roster, and any significant contribution would be a surprise at this point, but they are at the point of their careers where they just might make a jump.

The new coaching staff could get more out of them and in doing so, create a scary rotation.

16 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Arrowhead Pride 

From the upside down: What if Tanoh or Speaks gets better?

For those of you that aren’t fans of the Netflix show, Stranger Things, the “upside down” is an alternate dimension where things are crazy.

In the real world, actions mean more than words. The Chiefs have completely overhauled the EDGE position in a way that doesn’t show much confidence in Breeland Speaks or Tanoh Kpassagnon. Both former second-round picks fit the mold of what Steve Spagnuolo is looking for in a defensive end, at least physically. But, they both have been underwhelming thus far. If the team really loved the potential of Speaks or Kpassagnon, they wouldn’t have invested in three guys to play ahead of them.

That being said... what if they do somehow get an opportunity and show improvement?

Even if that opportunity is at a different position. Speaks appears to have bulked up (maybe or maybe not on purpose), so perhaps he will get an opportunity inside. What if Kpassagnon could get snaps as a situational pass-rusher, maybe even from the SAM position? These two guys are still on the roster, and any significant contribution would be a surprise at this point, but they are at the point of their careers where they just might make a jump.

The new coaching staff could get more out of them and in doing so, create a scary rotation.

Maybe Spags is going after that rotation the Giants had in their SB run. Would be nice to see fresh and relentless pass rush this year.

23 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Maybe Spags is going after that rotation the Giants had in their SB run. Would be nice to see fresh and relentless pass rush this year.

NASCAR formation?  Who do you like at each spot

Just now, Balto said:

NASCAR formation?  Who do you like at each spot

I think they work Speaks inside and out, depending on if it is a run/pass situation. Kpass comes in during pure pass situations. They rotate them as needed to keep the others fresh and constant push up front. Hopefully this will not have us gassed as we saw last year towards the end of the game and keeps us fresh even if the offense is scoring quickly.

I have hopes for both guys but they would have to produce a lot to warrant where we drafted each.   Hopefully Veach has learned to not take projects in the 2nd.....then again he drafted Hardman in this draft so who knows?

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

The Eagles again proved a deep dline is invaluable. Pretty clear Spags and Veach are working together to create just that. What’s more there’s clear competition for guys who were making roster by default. It’s not going to happen overnight, but I’m really buying into this culture change.  

12 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

I don’t put much stock in OTAs until the normal upbeat coach speak goes south. Our D coordinator saying he hopes Tanoh can get it turned around is a little disheartening. At least it is to me. Again just gotta hope this is meant to motivate and not sour.  How confident are you our 2016 second round pick makes the 53?

i will leave this with one small pebble of hope here.  He was compared to Justin Tuck when drafted who I believe Spags coached?

Ya, I think he makes the team for this year, not sure about after that.

Here's some more coachspeak to sift through from Daly:

”Both guys have done a nice job through the offseason here.” Daly said. “They’ve done a really good job trying to pick up the scheme, to understand the different calls and the different adjustments within the calls. I’ve been impressed there. Both guys have been working at multiple positions, so there’s been another level of understanding that’s gone on there. So I’ve been impressed with both of them from a mental standpoint and how they’ve handled things. Both of them are working hard. You see improvement each and every day. It’s a process, but we’re working through it.”

21 hours ago, DieHard said:

Sounds to me like he isn’t making any assessments but saying nobody from last year has a spot. I like it. 

Sounds more to me like this is "coach speak".   KPass better not quit his night job.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Here's some more coachspeak to sift through from Daly:

”Both guys have done a nice job through the offseason here.” Daly said. “They’ve done a really good job trying to pick up the scheme, to understand the different calls and the different adjustments within the calls. I’ve been impressed there. Both guys have been working at multiple positions, so there’s been another level of understanding that’s gone on there. So I’ve been impressed with both of them from a mental standpoint and how they’ve handled things. Both of them are working hard. You see improvement each and every day. It’s a process, but we’re working through it.”

This is kind of what you expect to hear from coaches. Talking without saying much.  Not we hope he gets it turned around. Maybe thats just Spags style though. But I do agree in retrospect with the belief that Spags evaluations are being mostly made from last years film rather than anything he's seen so far at OTAs (which he kind of mocked). I just like the idea I'm picking up on that players will have to earn their spot on the Final 53. Too many no shows we just seemed to hand spots to last year. And we still got the 1 seed! 

On a positive note if people do care about OTA reports,  Breeland Speaks had one of the best plays on defense yesterday blowing up some offensive lineman and stuffing the running back (as much as you can without tackling him).

Steve Spagnuolo on the Chiefs’ Defense at Organized Team Activities: “We Need to Build a Rock-Solid Foundation”

Matt_Headshot2

Matt McMullen

COMMUNITY & DIGITAL MEDIA PRODUCER

From an entirely new coaching staff to an abundance of fresh faces on the field, there have been plenty of changes on defense this offseason for the Kansas Chiefs.

That includes the hiring of new Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and the acquisition of top-tier talents such as safety Tyrann Mathieu and defensive end Frank Clark – completely reshaping the unit headed into 2019 – and as the second week of Organized Team Activities (OTAs) wrapped up on Thursday, Spagnuolo’s focus is clear.

It’s all about the basics.

“What I really look for right now is building a foundation. I’ve talked extensively with the guys about that. It’s been all about building a foundation of fundamentals, communication and believing in the system,” Spagnuolo said. “I’ve talked extensively about mastering the things that take very little talent. It doesn’t take a lot of talent to communicate or get aligned. We need to take care of those little things now, otherwise it creates holes, and then you have a problem. That’s what I’m focused on right now.”

Spagnuolo has been at this for 36 years, coaching in the college ranks before breaking into the NFL under Chiefs’ Head Coach Andy Reid with Philadelphia back in 1999. He’s led a Super Bowl-champion defense – knocking off the 18-1 New England Patriots in 2007 as the defensive coordinator for the New York Giants – and has been a head coach himself.

The guy has been around the block, and his hands-on coaching style has been on full display during OTAs. Spagnuolo has been right in the middle of drills, even lining up at quarterback when the situation calls for an opposing signal caller.

“I do that mostly to keep the drill going. Typically, if I snap the ball and get ready to go fast, they’ll go fast,” Spagnuolo said. “Those particular periods in practice are all mental, and I’m just looking to see how fast they can think. If I can keep it going fast, they’ll think a little faster, and hopefully, that will carry over to the game.”

His style has also been evident when mistakes are made, vying for a one-on-one approach with the player in question.

“We function differently throughout a practice – I don’t always do that – but I think if you have a teaching moment - when somebody makes a mistake and you have an opportunity to teach them something - I just think it sinks in a little bit more if it’s one-on-one,” Spagnuolo explained. “You’re not trying to yell over the music or from far away, so I’ve just kind of always done it like that.”

“I feel like they want to win,” Clark said last week. “The leadership and the coaches, the mindset is just winning and competition and getting better. I feel like those are steps to where you want to become as a franchise and, specifically, on defense.”

_original

Steve Sanders

Of course, having the likes of Clark and Mathieu – two playmakers known for their enthusiasm – certainly helps, as well.

“The first thing that sticks out with those two guys is that they’re elite competitors…they’re both 100 miles per hour when they practice. I see them finish, I see them taking a lot of pride in what they do, and I see them picking up other guys. Those are all examples of leaders,” Spagnuolo said. “They’re team guys, they’re leaders and they have all the intangibles.”

Those intangibles are just as critical this time of year as they are on game day, as Spagnuolo tries to establish a culture on defense here in his first season with the Chiefs. That process is fluid, and when asked what he expects from this group when the games begin to count in September, his answer was simple enough.

“I could throw out all the superlatives, and I’d like to be all of those, but I’m not going to label [the defense] right now,” Spagnuolo said. “This is where we’re at and I don’t get too far forward. We need to build a rock-solid foundation now, or those superlatives won’t mean anything.”

Archived