Houston wanted to stay with chiefs, but not enough to take a pay cut

Houston, it turns out, got a legit $23 million in this deal, of which $18.5 million is guaranteed. Houston will get a full $14 million in 2019 by way of a $1 million base salary and $13 million roster bonus. Both of those sums are guaranteed. His cap number will be $14 million this year.

In 2020, Houston is scheduled to earn $9 million via an $8 million base salary and a $1 million roster bonus. Of that $9 million, $4.5 million is guaranteed. He’ll have a $9 million cap figure.

The Colts have a tendency to front-load their contracts in free agency. This allows them to part ways with a player down the line if they need to without having much of a dead cap hanging over their head.

I still like the Seth Keysor quote after breaking down his 2018 game film. 

“He’s too good to cut and too expensive to keep.”

The Chiefs were on the hook for a 21 million dollar CAP hit which clearly was way over the open market price.  Tough decision but sure looks like Veach made the right one.  He will do well in Indy short term but I’d really worry how his chronic sore knees are going to take to playing on the turf 10 times this year  

This article is slightly misleading. I watched the interview with Houston, and unless they did some fancy editing; he didn't mention the Chiefs at all. All he said was he wanted to play in a 4-3 and he didn't get credit in a 3-4 dropping back a lot.  He said nothing about talking to the Chiefs and Spagnuolo’s scheme.

Archived