The Cost for Pat just went UP UP UP

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

47 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Good, then they will pay him all this money and have none left over to pay anyone else.

the thought seems to be that PM2 is in no big hurry to get an extension..after the new contact negotiations with the network word is that the salary cap will explode. I certainly see where your going with all that and it will be a good gauge to where PM2's head is at in regards to me or team..do the Chiefs become the Colts and many others who cant support a team because of the QB contract or do they become the PATS who's Qb  makes a respectable amount but leaves enough for surrounding cast. I also think much will have to do with how long Andy is here.

50 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Good, then they will pay him all this money and have none left over to pay anyone else.

I have to admit, I think of a $200m salary cap where we pay Mahomes $35m a year...Clark 21 million a year...Jones 20 million a year and wonder how the Chiefs will do when 3 stars are making 1/3 of the entire salary cap. 

36 minutes ago, SarcasticOne said:

I have to admit, I think of a $200m salary cap where we pay Mahomes $35m a year...Clark 21 million a year...Jones 20 million a year and wonder how the Chiefs will do when 3 stars are making 1/3 of the entire salary cap. 

I do think Mahomes will do a team a solid

My not be the highest paid qb but will get handsomely awarded too. Maybe more guaranteed type deal and all the endorsements will give him plenty. He wants to win too and I think he will show it by doing what he can to be the leader like say Brady did in his deals.

Let it Play it out..Patrick Mahomes is as level headed and mature as it gets.

He has great "advisors" who will be there for him.

He also knows the value of "Championships"

Chiefs are the envy of the League at the QB spot.

w

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

My not be the highest paid qb but will get handsomely awarded too. Maybe more guaranteed type deal and all the endorsements will give him plenty. He wants to win too and I think he will show it by doing what he can to be the leader like say Brady did in his deals.

I don't see Pat taking a discount and will want to be the highest paid QB in the NFL as he should be!  I do see him understanding the trend of teams winning when the QB is on a cheaper contract and so instead of him/agent pushing for a HUGE new contract ASAP he could wait until his 5th year option year to sign it.  This would give us an extra year of Pat on the "Cheap" to at least get 1 Super Bowl in the Books.  

Then again...We could win the Super Bowl this year and Pats camp tells Veach to pay up!

28 minutes ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Lot of money for an oft injured QB 

I still think Philly should of traded Wentz for a Kings Ransom, used those picks to make the team even stronger and younger, and extend Foles as the franchise QB.

YES I will agree that Wentz has much better talent than Foles BUT it is actually proven that the Eagles CAN and DID win a Super Bowl under Foles!  Why not keep Foles, pay him $20M a year, and have those extra picks and cap room to keep winning Super Bowls!

Wentz > Foles

Foles+picks from Wentz trade+Extra cap space  >  Wentz

There's gonna be some major changes to the NFL in the next CBA which is going to coincide with his new contract. This should help us! Question is do we want the contract done before of after that. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

There's gonna be some major changes to the NFL in the next CBA which is going to coincide with his new contract. This should help us! Question is do we want the contract done before of after that. 

Good question

I'd imagine that we could actually see a TON more hold outs from players if the new CBA gets a big increase in Cap.  I don't think we should think of it like "Oh now we can sign more elite players".  I think it will remain like it is now but ALL players will just demand pay increases, thus making no OVERALL difference to teams.

I'd honestly like to see some kind of position cap put in place.  This could hurt some teams of course like say we pay Hill and still have Sammy on the books for $20M....Well with a position cap that just wouldn't be possible.  I could see this making teams even more level talent wise and focus even more on young cheap contracts.   

5 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I think he knows that Brady became the GOAT because he didn't put his ego in front of his legacy...  I also get this vibe that his parents taught him to appreciate what he has and not get greedy.  I want him to set a new precedent for this kind of thing and how teams view QB contracts:

10 years/250 million, FULLY guaranteed. 

Dude gets all the money, job security for a decade, and will be set himself and the team up to build a dynasty.  Can you imagine how team friendly that deal the last three years the way the salary cap is going?  Heck, i'd be okay with 10yr/300 million with 200 fully guaranteed too.  But that's just me...

9 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

I think he knows that Brady became the GOAT because he didn't put his ego in front of his legacy...  I also get this vibe that his parents taught him to appreciate what he has and not get greedy.  I want him to set a new precedent for this kind of thing and how teams view QB contracts:

Dude gets all the money, job security for a decade, and will be set himself and the team up to build a dynasty.  Can you imagine how team friendly that deal the last three years the way the salary cap is going?  Heck, i'd be okay with 10yr/300 million with 200 fully guaranteed too.  But that's just me...

His endorsements will be off the charts. Already raking it in.  

I think the NFL should consider making QB salary separate from the overall cap. QB drives everything and is a necessity, the rest of the team shouldn't be penalized due to one position. I think it''s time to get creative with this so we can see teams stay competitive longer. 

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I think the NFL should consider making QB salary separate from the overall cap. QB drives everything and is a necessity, the rest of the team shouldn't be penalized due to one position. I think it''s time to get creative with this so we can see teams stay competitive longer. 

You definitely would see more Lamar Jackson type players at the qb position if that happened.

My thought has always been that Mahomes would get around $200 Mil.  You all make good points in regards to the salary cap, and have made points I didn't know about.  At this point in my life as a Chiefs fan, if Mahomes brings the Chiefs a SB, I don't care how much they pay him. Would it be nice if he took the Tom brady route? Yes.  Do I blame him if he doesn't? No.  

1 hour ago, Troyofoc said:

You definitely would see more Lamar Jackson type players at the qb position if that happened.

Quite possibly, but you'd also see more non-qb players stay with a team throughout their career hopefully. Then again, watching a few DE/DT get QB money is getting out of hand as well and we'd probably just run into the same problem all over again. 

16 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

heard on 810 yesterday with Teicher 6 years is the most years a contract can have

Renegotiations: Rookie contracts can't be renegotiated or altered in any way until after the last regular-season game of the third contracted year. Undrafted rookies must wait until after the second season to amend a contract.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001021617/article/2019-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

heard on 810 yesterday with Teicher 6 years is the most years a contract can have

Also been researching this

All I see is the signing bonus and such has to be prorated over 5 years or the length of the contract, whichever is shorter. I think you can sign a player to a 10 year contract though. McNabb signed for 12 years as an example.

Archived