The Cost for Pat just went UP UP UP

16 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I think the NFL should consider making QB salary separate from the overall cap. QB drives everything and is a necessity, the rest of the team shouldn't be penalized due to one position. I think it''s time to get creative with this so we can see teams stay competitive longer. 

Could do sone kind of Larry Bird rules with QBs...NBA put this in place to help resign stud players that had been on the team at least 3 years and allows the team cap exception for said player.

Could see NFL doing this but use it like the franchise tag so a team COULD place the Larry Bird(probably call it something else lol) tag on 1 player on the team that maybe reduces cap hit of contract by 50%?  Maybe even call it the 50% tag?  Mahomes would still count a crap done even at 50% his $40M contract but would still reduce the impact.  Having it be only allowed for players that have been on the team 3 consecutive years would keep free agency like it is now and really award teams for drafting well or signing FAs well that make impacts years after they get paid.

50% tag:  Only designated to 1 player a season, player must of been on the team for 3 consecutive years.  Players salary cap for given year is reduced by 50%.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Balto said:

Could do sone kind of Larry Bird rules with QBs...NBA put this in place to help resign stud players that had been on the team at least 3 years and allows the team cap exception for said player.

Could see NFL doing this but use it like the franchise tag so a team COULD place the Larry Bird(probably call it something else lol) tag on 1 player on the team that maybe reduces cap hit of contract by 50%?  Maybe even call it the 50% tag?  Mahomes would still count a crap done even at 50% his $40M contract but would still reduce the impact.  Having it be only allowed for players that have been on the team 3 consecutive years would keep free agency like it is now and really award teams for drafting well or signing FAs well that make impacts years after they get paid.

50% tag:  Only designated to 1 player a season, player must of been on the team for 3 consecutive years.  Players salary cap for given year is reduced by 50%.

At first glance, that would either lower the cap or allow one player to get an especially huge contract.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:17 PM, oldtimer said:

the thought seems to be that PM2 is in no big hurry to get an extension..after the new contact negotiations with the network word is that the salary cap will explode. I certainly see where your going with all that and it will be a good gauge to where PM2's head is at in regards to me or team..do the Chiefs become the Colts and many others who cant support a team because of the QB contract or do they become the PATS who's Qb  makes a respectable amount but leaves enough for surrounding cast. I also think much will have to do with how long Andy is here.

I'm expecting Mahomes to play out his rookie contract before an extension as it means a new deal with the new CBA. Chiefs will definitely want to pay him sooner but Mahomes has basically nothing to gain and a lot to lose. Obviously injuries are another issues but assuming that's not the case.

I’m guessing that somebody on here brought this topic up to Joel Cory as he was asked if there were limits on contract length in the NFL. He confirmed that while there is no contract maximum that signing bonus can only be spread through five years. So there’s that

On 6/7/2019 at 10:56 AM, kkuenn said:

I do think Mahomes will do a team a solid

My not be the highest paid qb but will get handsomely awarded too. Maybe more guaranteed type deal and all the endorsements will give him plenty. He wants to win too and I think he will show it by doing what he can to be the leader like say Brady did in his deals.

I too can see it.  Dude is going to make a mint in endorsement contracts.  I think he'll take the big one with his first one, then any extensions after that will be discounted so he can win (discounted, but they will still be huge).  

The Chiefs won't be dealing with Mahomes. They will be dealing with his agent. Why would his agent want to do the Chiefs a solid? Can't see it. Mahomes will almost definitely wind up being the highest paid QB in the NFL once his deal is done. Now that might not quite be 40 mil per year but it will at least be a mil per year higher than the next closest guy (right now Russell Wilson's 35 mil per year deal). And the guaranteed money will be insane. It is in the Chiefs best interest to sign him as soon as possible because the pricetag for franchise QB's seems to go up significantly each year. Fortunately, the salary cap increases do help alleviate the burden a little.

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

The Chiefs won't be dealing with Mahomes. They will be dealing with his agent. Why would his agent want to do the Chiefs a solid? Can't see it. Mahomes will almost definitely wind up being the highest paid QB in the NFL once his deal is done. Now that might not quite be 40 mil per year but it will at least be a mil per year higher than the next closest guy (right now Russell Wilson's 35 mil per year deal). And the guaranteed money will be insane. It is in the Chiefs best interest to sign him as soon as possible because the pricetag for franchise QB's seems to go up significantly each year. Fortunately, the salary cap increases do help alleviate the burden a little.

Mahomes has a say in it too. If he tells his agents he wants to work a deal a certain way they will do so.

On 6/10/2019 at 8:47 PM, kkuenn said:

Mahomes has a say in it too. If he tells his agents he wants to work a deal a certain way they will do so.

Of course Mahomes has a say in it.But my understanding is most players trust their agents. They understand their job is to get the player the best deal possible. It's what they do. It's a business. You honestly believe Mahomes is telling his agent, "I'll take less money if it means _____" (fill in the blank.) By working a deal a certain way that usually implies how much signing bonus, guaranteed money, etc...Not "How much of a discount should I give them?"

On 6/12/2019 at 6:07 AM, dhitter said:

Of course Mahomes has a say in it.But my understanding is most players trust their agents. They understand their job is to get the player the best deal possible. It's what they do. It's a business. You honestly believe Mahomes is telling his agent, "I'll take less money if it means _____" (fill in the blank.) By working a deal a certain way that usually implies how much signing bonus, guaranteed money, etc...Not "How much of a discount should I give them?"

Brian Waters fired his agent over the contract dispute over here back in the day. He was at the end of his career but players don't always fall in line with their agents. That being said I think that won't happen in Pat's early years but he probably knows that his extra income will be based on SB wins like Brady so I don't expect him or his agent to approach the new deal like Wilson does in Seattle. 

4 hours ago, sith13 said:

Brian Waters fired his agent over the contract dispute over here back in the day. He was at the end of his career but players don't always fall in line with their agents. That being said I think that won't happen in Pat's early years but he probably knows that his extra income will be based on SB wins like Brady so I don't expect him or his agent to approach the new deal like Wilson does in Seattle. 

Sith...I don't know what you are basing this assumption on other than wishful thinking. Brian Waters? Exception or the rule? Mahomes doesn't need a SB ring to get paid ridiculous money. What did Carson Wentz do to earn his payday...except get hurt a lot. He hasn't even been able to play a full season yet. The money is crazy and Mahomes likely will be the highest paid QB in the league after this year.

53 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Sith...I don't know what you are basing this assumption on other than wishful thinking. Brian Waters? Exception or the rule? Mahomes doesn't need a SB ring to get paid ridiculous money. What did Carson Wentz do to earn his payday...except get hurt a lot. He hasn't even been able to play a full season yet. The money is crazy and Mahomes likely will be the highest paid QB in the league after this year.

I am sure he will be the highest, for a year and ways. Each contract goes up and beyond any previously signed one. Mahomes will be cheap by year 3. I do think he makes it though one where it is beneficial, as he saw Brady did. Mayne not this time around but I can see him doing so 

2 hours ago, dhitter said:

I do believe that he'll be the highest paid and could remain so for a couple years but I don't believe he'll get paid the ridiculous money to ruin the franchise as he won't demand it. When we approach it realistically in a league where Wentz is getting 32 million per year Mahomes would be worth possibly 50 but definitely won't be asking for that. Assuming he doesn't wait for the new CBA Mahomes will simply get enough to be the highest paid QB and be happy with it. He's showing a lot of leadership skills while emphasizing the will to win, which he knows doesn't come with a single guy getting all the money.

Brady can do what he does now and has done for the last few years because he has already made a huge amount of money  between salaries and endorsements.  I think he is worth somewhere around 200 million apart from his wife.     His first contract I don’t think was a team friendly deal.   It made him one of the highest paid players in the NFL.  

Pats first contract will probably make him the highest paid player.   Then after that contract I can see him doing the more team friendly deals. 

On 6/13/2019 at 6:07 AM, sith13 said:

I do believe that he'll be the highest paid and could remain so for a couple years but I don't believe he'll get paid the ridiculous money to ruin the franchise as he won't demand it. When we approach it realistically in a league where Wentz is getting 32 million per year Mahomes would be worth possibly 50 but definitely won't be asking for that. Assuming he doesn't wait for the new CBA Mahomes will simply get enough to be the highest paid QB and be happy with it. He's showing a lot of leadership skills while emphasizing the will to win, which he knows doesn't come with a single guy getting all the money.

Great interview with Mahommes. You got a lot out of it. Super insider stuff. 😉

On 6/13/2019 at 9:58 AM, Okiechief1 said:

Brady can do what he does now and has done for the last few years because he has already made a huge amount of money  between salaries and endorsements.  I think he is worth somewhere around 200 million apart from his wife.     His first contract I don’t think was a team friendly deal.   It made him one of the highest paid players in the NFL.  

Pats first contract will probably make him the highest paid player.   Then after that contract I can see him doing the more team friendly deals. 

His wife is worth ridiculous money.  He's said as much when asked about his below market contracts.  Don't know how accurate this is but I've seen her net worth estimated at 300-500 million.  Geez that's a lot of crackers.  I knew I shoulda married a rich model.  What was I thinking???

I know this is an impossible question to answer, but I still have to ask it.  How much money is needed for a person to feel happy and safe?  Are there other things that contribute to that? A feeling of accomplishment?  Friends?  Love?  Health?   Feel free to ignore this.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

I know this is an impossible question to answer, but I still have to ask it.  How much money is needed for a person to feel happy and safe?  Are there other things that contribute to that? A feeling of accomplishment?  Friends?  Love?  Health?   Feel free to ignore this.

That's a valid question.  It seems that envy is a greater factor than getting a satisfactory amount.  In other words, a player might be set for life with 60 million but won't sign because someone else got 62 million.  If the top pay was 50 million, the above player would be thrilled with 51.  Not sure why anyone need to be paid more than it takes to allow one to do anything he can wish for plus set his kids up for the same.  .

29 minutes ago, jetlord said:

That's a valid question.  It seems that envy is a greater factor than getting a satisfactory amount.  In other words, a player might be set for life with 60 million but won't sign because someone else got 62 million.  If the top pay was 50 million, the above player would be thrilled with 51.  Not sure why anyone need to be paid more than it takes to allow one to do anything he can wish for plus set his kids up for the same.  .

Great answer. 

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

All those are so much more important than money. I don’t think people realize that in their mid twenties. I sure appreciate it though. I know of a lot a unhappy wealthy people.

2 minutes ago, DieHard said:

All those are so much more important than money. I don’t think people realize that in their mid twenties. I sure appreciate it though. I know of a lot a unhappy wealthy people.

Me, too.  Along with a ton of money comes both arrogance and a horrible fear of someone taking it away.  Of loss.

4 hours ago, xen said:

His wife is worth ridiculous money.  He's said as much when asked about his below market contracts.  Don't know how accurate this is but I've seen her net worth estimated at 300-500 million.  Geez that's a lot of crackers.  I knew I shoulda married a rich model.  What was I thinking???

She has a twin sister that’s her manager.  I’m guessing she might be worth a few million.  

None of us know what Pat wants or will do.   Hard for me to believe in a sport like this you don’t take all that you can get this first go around and then once you are set them start offering discounts in an attempt to grow your legacy.   One freak injury and you are done.  So all this wishful thinking about Pat taking some discount his first go around is hard to believe.  It’s always easy making decisions for others when we don’t have any skim on the game.

Archived