Chris Jones Contract Issues

I think teams need to change their approach to negotiating. This should not be normal. I would franchise this guy and let him walk next year  if he does not agree to a contract prior to Mini Camp. The idea mandatory is not mandatory and he will still get his money is now normal? Chiefs Standards: should show guys that this will not be normal or acceptable. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chiefs DL Chris Jones will skip minicamp.

Rapoport adds contract negotiations between the Chiefs and Jones "have stalled." Minicamp is technically "mandatory," so skipping will cost Jones some money, but those fines will likely be forgiven once he signs his new deal. Jones recorded 15.5 sacks last season and has developed into one of the most disruptive defenders in the league. The Chiefs have to get him locked up to a long-term deal.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never really worry about Mini camp but he certainly is not doing himself any favors being that Spags is in charge now. Word was  many of Jones successes came at the expense of others and him ad-libbing his responsibilities.

That being said it was always a negative when  Dorsey waited until a player had a career year and the start negotiations so I  see why they want to get  him wrapped up but Jones may not be the dominant player we thought he is and it might be wise to see how he transitions  with the new coaching staff and their scheme.

any idea what CJ is wanting $$ wise?

9 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

I think teams need to change their approach to negotiating. This should not be normal. I would franchise this guy and let him walk next year  if he does not agree to a contract prior to Mini Camp. The idea mandatory is not mandatory and he will still get his money is now normal? Chiefs Standards: should show guys that this will not be normal or acceptable. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chiefs DL Chris Jones will skip minicamp.

Rapoport adds contract negotiations between the Chiefs and Jones "have stalled." Minicamp is technically "mandatory," so skipping will cost Jones some money, but those fines will likely be forgiven once he signs his new deal. Jones recorded 15.5 sacks last season and has developed into one of the most disruptive defenders in the league. The Chiefs have to get him locked up to a long-term deal.

You would let a 15 sack guy walk because he didn't show up to mandatory mini camp over a contract issue?

Yet many fans whined about losing Hunt and possibly Hill's services to another team for off the field conduct without any compensation?

Makes total sense.

2 minutes ago, xen said:

Not unusual for guys to skip minicamp while working on a new deal.  With the risk of injury you'd be stupid to show unless you're close to a deal.  Teams know this.  Really not that big of a deal.

Yes I am aware. All that does is kick the can down the road while the guy misses time with a new coordinator, rookies etc. Its a norm that is a low standard. Team could make it clear we need a deal prior to mandatory camp. This is NFL & KC Management I am calling out, not the player.

19 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

You would let a 15 sack guy walk because he didn't show up to mandatory mini camp over a contract issue?

Yet many fans whined about losing Hunt and possibly Hill's services to another team for off the field conduct without any compensation?

Makes total sense.

maybe a little knowledge would work CJ is not a UFA until 2020 so in reality we have control of him for 2 more years using the  Franchise tag.. I'm good with seeing if he was a flash in the pan or can string 2 more years out of him..he's less that 2 mil this year..not sure what a Franchise tag is for a DT but it cant be that bad .

OK I see its  $15.2 mil for a FT  2019 ..say it maybe slightly more for 20  so you get him for 2 years at 8 mil a year..not bad IMO

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

maybe a little knowledge would work CJ is not a UFA until 2020 so in reality we have control of him for 2 more years using the  Franchise tag.. I'm good with seeing if he was a flash in the pan or can string 2 more years out of him..he's less that 2 mil this year..not sure what a Franchise tag is for a DT but it cant be that bad 

Yes

6 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

It will also be good to see how he fits a new scheme.  And how he does without Houston and Ford commanding so much attention.  I think he'll continue to be really good, but it's not a sure thing. 

great point

Makes total sense.

HANDS in PANTS continues to Troll and stir up BS. Hands all over the place.

18 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Makes total sense.

HANDS in PANTS continues to Troll and stir up BS. Hands all over the place.

you must be at recess

42 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Yes I am aware. All that does is kick the can down the road while the guy misses time with a new coordinator, rookies etc. Its a norm that is a low standard. Team could make it clear we need a deal prior to mandatory camp. This is NFL & KC Management I am calling out, not the player.

You should also call out the agents, the player, and the NFLPA. The agents tell their clients to hold out for what they perceive as fair market value. The NFLPA always looks out for player interest above NFL ownership and team interests. You CANNOT blame one side on these issues.

14 minutes ago, PAChiefsFan79 said:

You should also call out the agents, the player, and the NFLPA. The agents tell their clients to hold out for what they perceive as fair market value. The NFLPA always looks out for player interest above NFL ownership and team interests. You CANNOT blame one side on these issues.

....I agree all are responsible and included NFL in my comments. 

The guy was a steal as second round draft pick. Go ahead and give him that second contract but don’t bother with the third contract because at that point he becomes prohibitively expensive. Employ the Patriot way at that point. 

“He has stayed away for OTAs. That’s voluntary. No fines are associated with that. But he’s not present, I’m told, for mandatory minicamp, so Chris Jones, one of the best players on a Chiefs defense they would really like to improve this year, he is not at mandatory minicamp. He is going to get fined. He would like a new deal, looking for something in the $20 million per year range. My understanding is the Chiefs are not going to negotiate with him until he’s present and he is not present right now.”

The absence of Jones should not be surprising for the Chiefs, or any team for that matter, since it’s the one ounce of leverage in the hands of a player to draw attention to the contract concerns. The Chiefs have acknowledged the concern and stated their goals to ink Jones to an extension, so Jones’ absence is a way of forcing the issue. Such an absence is often used to paint the player in a negative light—look who is not a team player?!—but the reality is that Jones has everything to lose by being in mandatory minicamp with the Chiefs, a three-day event that began on Tuesday.

Fanatic Take: NO to 20 million for a lineman on a defense that will be second fiddle to the best offense in the NFL for years to come. Sorry. Some of these lineman salaries are getting out of hand. Lots of Sacs is good but that is not the only stat that matters. Media makes it seem like sacs are all that matters. Chiefs had lots of sacs last year and still a pathetic defense. Tag him next year. Then trade him like Ford. 

Dude was 2nd team all pro behind Aaron Donald   and Fletcher Cox    He is easily a top 5 interior linemen.  

He probably won’t get the yearly average of what Donald got which is 22 a year nor the guaranteed money of 87 but will be in the ball park of probably 18 to 20 with 60 mill in guaranteed.  

I also have no problem waiting a year to see how he fits into the new system but the downside to that is if he has another year like last year he will want Donald money. 

Sounds like the Chiefs are willing to start working on a deal which means they know they will have to pay the going rate and see him as part of their future.  

31 minutes ago, Okiechief1 said:

Dude was 2nd team all pro behind Aaron Donald   and Fletcher Cox    He is easily a top 5 interior linemen.  

He probably won’t get the yearly average of what Donald got which is 22 a year nor the guaranteed money of 87 but will be in the ball park of probably 18 to 20 with 60 mill in guaranteed.  

I also have no problem waiting a year to see how he fits into the new system but the downside to that is if he has another year like last year he will want Donald money. 

Sounds like the Chiefs are willing to start working on a deal which means they know they will have to pay the going rate and see him as part of their future.  

I think they drafted his replacement. 

6 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Makes total sense.

The only question about Jones is how much he free lances out of his run responsibilities to get to the QB that much. But some film review guys I trust say he was also clearly our best vs the run on the DLine so this seems unlikely (although you would never know without knowing play call)...This is a young emerging dline star and a perfect pairing with 26 year old Frank Clark to build front 7 around. We need to get him signed! That said, this isn't unusual at all. 

7 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

The only question about Jones is how much he free lances out of his run responsibilities to get to the QB that much. But some film review guys I trust say he was also clearly our best vs the run on the DLine so this seems unlikely (although you would never know without knowing play call)...This is a young emerging dline star and a perfect pairing with 26 year old Frank Clark to build front 7 around. We need to get him signed! That said, this isn't unusual at all. 

Good points. I agree but I think if he stays in the 20 million ask he will not a be a Chief after 2020.. Its too much money invested on DLINE. Clark got the big bucks. I will also ad this is why I feel the Clark move was a bad move. Gave up a top pick and payed huge bucks. Cant have endless big contracts. Somebody has to go.

1 minute ago, xen said:

Doubt it.

Yes you may be correct. Would be great if someone stepped up on another rookie contract. How can you have Clark, Jones, Kelce, Mahommes, Mattheau, Fisher, Schwartz and Hill with huge contracts? This assumes Watkins is gone after this season.

Archived