Chris Jones Contract Issues

4 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Good points. I agree but I think if he stays in the 20 million ask he will not a be a Chief after 2020.. Its too much money invested on DLINE. Clark got the big bucks. I will also ad this is why I feel the Clark move was a bad move. Gave up a top pick and payed huge bucks. Cant have endless big contracts. Somebody has to go.

Spags wants a dominant dline that can get after the QB without much help.  He also wanted to add a player who could give this defense much needed attitude.  Consistent emerging 26 year old stud defenders are expensive. So I see your point. But we targeted this guy for a reason.  I think an inside out versatile duo like Clark and Jones is a complete nightmare for offensive lines.  

Gotta hope dirt cheap first contract young guys like Saunders and Nnadi emerge next to them to give balance. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, oldtimer said:

we can have him for 2 years at  roughly $9 mil a year which includes next years Franchise tag..no way will he ever be worth $20 mil a year..He's not top 10..  let him eat cake

If he wants top DT money then waiting to see him in Spag's 4-3 before giving out the huge contract makes a lot of sense. The only incentive right now is probably eating out some of his guarantees before we extend Mahomes but if the transition is hard for him we would simply be overpaying.

16 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Chiefs playing hardball a bit with him per this article. Will not deal with him if he is not present? 

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2019/06/11/kansas-city-chiefs-rumors-hardball-chris-jones-contract-negotiations/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

good.he needs to get to know the Defense.

the article is a waste of ink tho author sounds like a whiny bitch

16 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

The only question about Jones is how much he free lances out of his run responsibilities to get to the QB that much. But some film review guys I trust say he was also clearly our best vs the run on the DLine so this seems unlikely (although you would never know without knowing play call)...This is a young emerging dline star and a perfect pairing with 26 year old Frank Clark to build front 7 around. We need to get him signed! That said, this isn't unusual at all. 

With his tackles for loss, 19, he tied for 5th most among interior D linemen. 74 pressures was 4th, 15 sacks 3rd, and 35% pass rush win rate- 2nd only to Aaron Donald.

You cannot let this guy walk.

But if you do, I hope like hell the Ravens sign him. Guy can ball.

1 hour ago, Handswarmer said:

With his tackles for loss, 19, he tied for 5th most among interior D linemen. 74 pressures was 4th, 15 sacks 3rd, and 35% pass rush win rate- 2nd only to Aaron Donald.

You cannot let this guy walk.

But if you do, I hope like hell the Ravens sign him. Guy can ball.

He’s a beast and only 24 years old still! and locked up in 2019 for a paltry 1.9 million. He needs that service time so in typical fashion he will show up in August at some point no matter what. I’m really not worried at all about this yet as the organization is clearly focused on Tyreek Hills situation and how to handle his future. 

If Tyreek is moved now or after the season it probably impacts Sammy Watkins who’s contract is already in place which probably impacts how they want to structure Jones.  He’s gonna get paid, it’s just a matter of when.   

13 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

He’s a beast and only 24 years old still! and locked up in 2019 for a paltry 1.9 million. He needs that service time so in typical fashion he will show up in August at some point no matter what. I’m really not worried at all about this yet as the organization is clearly focused on Tyreek Hills situation and how to handle his future. 

If Tyreek is moved now or after the season it probably impacts Sammy Watkins who’s contract is already in place which probably impacts how they want to structure Jones.  He’s gonna get paid, it’s just a matter of when.   

I would lock him up sooner than later as later is always more expensive and the new CBA might dictate even more money back to the owners- think its at 53-47 with the way the CBA was structure in exchange for less OTA's and Mandatory mini camps....

53 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Jones just isn’t a vocal leader like that. Honey Badger and Clark are. Those two set the tone for the needed culture change that Chris Jones talent will help actually produce. 

Those three guys are all elite level talents and bring hope to what was a hopeless group a year ago. 

20 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Good points. I agree but I think if he stays in the 20 million ask he will not a be a Chief after 2020.. Its too much money invested on DLINE. Clark got the big bucks. I will also ad this is why I feel the Clark move was a bad move. Gave up a top pick and payed huge bucks. Cant have endless big contracts. Somebody has to go.

O.M.G.....we agree on something......😵

5 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

O.M.G.....we agree on something......😵

Put me down for Frank Clark getting votes for AFC Defensive Player of the Year in 2019. I think he’s gonna be that good here and bring some real intensity and attitude completely missing the last few years. 

2 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

No offense but he wasn’t a leader last year, that was Houston, so how is he the proven leader?  Hes an awesome player but being an awesome player and being a leader aren’t synonymous.   Also where is this proven leader at now?  Now I understand why he’s at home and I don’t fault a guy for looking after his best interests but he’s not with the team now and now seems like a really important time to be there with new fas, new draft picks and new coordinators.  Leaders like Tyrann are going to lead and in the absence of leaders they are going to step up.   I guess I just disagree that Jones was ever a leader on this team.

23 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Put me down for Frank Clark getting votes for AFC Defensive Player of the Year in 2019. I think he’s gonna be that good here and bring some real intensity and attitude completely missing the last few years. 

👌

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

No offense but he wasn’t a leader last year, that was Houston, so how is he the proven leader?  Hes an awesome player but being an awesome player and being a leader aren’t synonymous.   Also where is this proven leader at now?  Now I understand why he’s at home and I don’t fault a guy for looking after his best interests but he’s not with the team now and now seems like a really important time to be there with new fas, new draft picks and new coordinators.  Leaders like Tyrann are going to lead and in the absence of leaders they are going to step up.   I guess I just disagree that Jones was ever a leader on this team.

We lacked leadership on the coaching staff to begin with. I keep hearing Sutton was just really poor at communicating. But I think our bigger issue as far as leadership goes was Eric Berry. He was the leader of the team even though he only played in 2 regular season games. And his presence made it difficult for any young player to emerge and take that reign over from him. We had to go get some guys that could change our culture. It just turns out these two guys are also top 5 at their position too. 

1 hour ago, Mloe68 said:

I think him and Jones will benefit each other tremendously. If anyone gets votes I think it will be Jones due to him finally having another disrupting force good enough next to him

Clark won't be a slouch either though. 

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Man all of you saying Jones isn't a leader are wrong. You'll see, now that Houston and Berry are outta the pic, hes gonna emerge as the leader 

6 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Man all of you saying Jones isn't a leader are wrong. You'll see, now that Houston and Berry are outta the pic, hes gonna emerge as the leader 

I don't disagree with that. The young Chiefs were hamstrung by the old guard guys the past few years. 

10 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

I would say one of the leaders. We need guys to lead in all parts of the game especially on defense this year.

5 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I would say one of the leaders. We need guys to lead in all parts of the game especially on defense this year.

·
3h

Wait until you see (and hear) Frank Clark at training camp. Clark is disruptive every play and isn't afraid to let the offense know about it. Clark's presence alone will make Eric Fisher, Patrick Mahomes and #Chiefs offense better before they even play a preseason game.

5 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

·
3h

Wait until you see (and hear) Frank Clark at training camp. Clark is disruptive every play and isn't afraid to let the offense know about it. Clark's presence alone will make Eric Fisher, Patrick Mahomes and #Chiefs offense better before they even play a preseason game.

No doubt and I am excited to see him and this new defense. Love the fact we got him in a trade. We went for a proven and young commodity. Guys like Clark do not come along very often and to see him on the front 4 along with the others and our depth....very exciting.  I know he cost us a bit in picks and the cap but if we do sign the likes of Jones, PM etc and keep the young guys coming in we will be good for a long time.

12 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

He’s a beast and only 24 years old still! and locked up in 2019 for a paltry 1.9 million. He needs that service time so in typical fashion he will show up in August at some point no matter what.

Will he? Couple of points that concern me. Word has it Jones is wanting somewhere in the area of 20 million a year. That is an insane amount. Franchise tag this coming year for DTs is 15.2 million. Sounds like he and the Chiefs are pretty far apart at this point. Also word has it Jones has been training with LeVeon Bell. That can't be good. Wonder what advice his buddy is giving him?

I think the Chiefs want Jones in camp because it is important for Spagnoulo to see how Jones is fitting in his new defense. If it were just another year of the same thing it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But with new coaches, a new scheme and so many new players (including new guys on the DL), Jones is hurting his ability to be up to speed.

8 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

He might become one but you said he "was" a proven leader.   That is all I was saying that there is no proof of that because Berry and Houston were his first couple of years.

36 minutes ago, dhitter said:

Will he? Couple of points that concern me. Word has it Jones is wanting somewhere in the area of 20 million a year. That is an insane amount. Franchise tag this coming year for DTs is 15.2 million. Sounds like he and the Chiefs are pretty far apart at this point. Also word has it Jones has been training with LeVeon Bell. That can't be good. Wonder what advice his buddy is giving him?

I think the Chiefs want Jones in camp because it is important for Spagnoulo to see how Jones is fitting in his new defense. If it were just another year of the same thing it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But with new coaches, a new scheme and so many new players (including new guys on the DL), Jones is hurting his ability to be up to speed.

He’s showing up. There’s nothing at all surprising here from my view. He’s under contract and he can’t reach free agency without playing this year.  Of course he’s not showing up at OTAs or mini camp or probably even most of training camp minus an extension. But he will eventually show. Should also add as the Tyreek Hill situation clears up and we decide what to do with him, I expect Jones extension to follow. 

3 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

He’s showing up. There’s nothing at all surprising here from my view. He’s under contract and he can’t reach free agency without playing this year.  Of course he’s not showing up at OTAs or mini camp or probably even most of training camp minus an extension. But he will eventually show. Should also add as the Tyreek Hill situation clears up and we decide what to do with him, I expect Jones extension to follow. 

I think he needs to show up 1 month prior to the season start date which is missing quite a bit of TC besides the OTAs.

Archived