Chris Jones Contract Issues

8 hours ago, Mloe68 said:

He’s showing up. There’s nothing at all surprising here from my view. He’s under contract and he can’t reach free agency without playing this year.  Of course he’s not showing up at OTAs or mini camp or probably even most of training camp minus an extension. But he will eventually show. Should also add as the Tyreek Hill situation clears up and we decide what to do with him, I expect Jones extension to follow. 

These players are mostly selfish. They are gifted and able to play a game and become wealthy. They talk Team. They talk winning. They mostly only care about their bulging bank accounts and brand. If Jones cared about the guy next to him he would be there learning this new defense. If he cared about winning and the fans he would be there.

Teams are crazy to let guys get away with this. They know they can do it and thus!

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

These players are mostly selfish. They are gifted and able to play a game and become wealthy. They talk Team. They talk winning. They mostly only care about their bulging bank accounts and brand. If Jones cared about the guy next to him he would be there learning this new defense. If he cared about winning and the fans he would be there.

Teams are crazy to let guys get away with this. They know they can do it and thus!

These guys play a violent game with short career lifespans and the threat of one hit ending it alL. Not to mention the likelihood of real physical issues the rest of their life after they are done.  They enter the league in a monopolized system where they play for pennies on the dollar vs the veterans which makes this second contract the most important financial earning period of their lives.

I have a hard time blaming a player for sitting out OTAs or one mini camp or even part of training camp when an injury could ruin everything for him and his family.  And I don’t blame anyone for recognizing their own family should come first.  The CBA is set up where he’s gonna report or lose the crucial service time. I don’t  blame him for waiting. 

That said I only empathize with guys playing under cheap rookie contracts like he is. If he did this at the end of his next contract I’d call complete BS. 

3 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

These guys play a violent game with short career lifespans and the threat of one hit ending it alL. Not to mention the likelihood of real physical issues the rest of their life after they are done.  They enter the league in a monopolized system where they play for pennies on the dollar vs the veterans which makes this second contract the most important financial earning period of their lives.

I have a hard time blaming a player for sitting out OTAs or one mini camp or even part of training camp when an injury could ruin everything for him and his family.  And I don’t blame anyone for recognizing their own family should come first.  The CBA is set up where he’s gonna report or lose the crucial service time. I don’t  blame him for waiting. 

That said I only empathize with guys playing under cheap rookie contracts like he is. If he did this at the end of his next contract I’d call complete BS. 

CHEAP.......MILLIONS OF DOLLARS is not CHEAP......,My point is teams could stop this by making sure the fines stick and making it clear if you want to play here you show up. 

7 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

CHEAP.......MILLIONS OF DOLLARS is not CHEAP......,My point is teams could stop this by making sure the fines stick and making it clear if you want to play here you show up. 

He is making $1.3 million this year. Fans want the player to be loyal to the team when the team can cut the player at any time and only take a Cap Hit while the player takes a real financial hit. Where is the loyalty from the team?

I am with Mloe68 on this one.

5 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

He is making $1.3 million this year. Fans want the player to be loyal to the team when the team can cut the player at any time and only take a Cap Hit while the player takes a real financial hit. Where is the loyalty from the team?

Agreed and you can see why then the guaranteed part of the contract is so important to them.

56 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

Players must play out their rookie contracts and must show up for team activities 1 month prior to the season. I think that's as good of an incentive as any. There will always be exceptions where only the team or the player is right but can't put all of them to a single CBA. 

from ESPN

Chris Jones, DT, Kansas City Chiefs

Jones was a second-round pick in 2016, but because second-round picks aren't eligible for the performance-based fourth-year escalators that picks from Rounds 3-7 get, he's scheduled to make even less than Ngakoue this season. Three weeks shy of his 25th birthday and coming off a 15.5-sack season, Jones understandably believes $1.2 million is a little light for 2019 compensation.

The problem here is that the Chiefs appear to have given new defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo great latitude in deciding what kinds of players he wants for his defense. If Spagnuolo doesn't see Jones as the type of defensive tackle he likes for his front, the Chiefs might be reluctant to offer Jones a top-of-market deal, and the standoff could continue for a while. Jones is under contract, so he has to be there no later than 30 days before the season starts, or else he loses an accrued season.

If i was Chris Jones i'd demand a trade! First you trade a 1st rd pick and other draft capital for a DE who has never matched my sack total from last yr and sign to a almost 20mil a yr deal! and you give an RT an extension even though they have 2yrs left on contract for 11mil Then sign a kicker to 5yr extension worth over 20mil and want him to move to DT where he'll probably never get close to that sack production again! But for some reason playing hardball with him! Guess Veach did learn from Dorsey!! SMDH!!

11 minutes ago, Shadow said:

If i was Chris Jones i'd demand a trade! First you trade a 1st rd pick and other draft capital for a DE who has never matched my sack total from last yr and sign to a almost 20mil a yr deal! and you give an RT an extension even though they have 2yrs left on contract for 11mil Then sign a kicker to 5yr extension worth over 20mil and want him to move to DT where he'll probably never get close to that sack production again! But for some reason playing hardball with him! Guess Veach did learn from Dorsey!! SMDH!!

I'm sure Chris and his agent understand that it's a 53 man roster. 

7 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Bad take.  

1) Clark has a consistent history of high level production.  If anything Clark will help Jones out by taking off some pressure.  You can be sure stopping Clark will be a focal point for coaches.  

2) teams have other players to take care of as well.  Schwartz's deal does not affect Jones in any way as the only effect on the next 2 years is to guarantee $ they were already 100% going to pay considering his production.  Buttkicker was a RFA so needed a new deal.  He earned it.

3) who says that he can't reach that production as a 3 tech?  Aaron Donald says you're full of it.

Nobody thinks Jones can't fit in Spags defense except Adam fucking Teicher.

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

I'm sure Chris and his agent understand that it's a 53 man roster. 

I'm sure Chris does as well as Veach.. Shadow  seems the one struggling with that concept and that CJ  is not worth 20 mil  nor is he a proven DT in the 4-3 scheme. He really has very little leverage

7 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

He doesn't have to play....He didn't have to sign his rookie contract....

Yes $1.3M is very low pay for how he performed in past years in a 3-4 defense.  Does Veach pay the guy top 3-4 DE money to play as a 4-3 DT?  I'm sure Veach has told CJ's agent that they are willing to give him a ton of money, maybe top 10 DT money, for what he did last year as a 3-4 DE BUT will need to see how he does as a 4-3 DT in this new D before he gives him top 5 4-3 DT money.

So Jones can take a HUGE contract but a few million less NOW or he can wit a year in hopes of performing well and get paid as a top 5 DT in the NFL.

29 minutes ago, Shadow said:

I think Veach would of shopped Jones by now if it was going to happen.  I just think Jones wants to be paid as a top 5 3-4 DE and Veach is not willing to do so until he sees how JOnes performers as a 4-3 DT.  Pretty simple

28 minutes ago, Balto said:

I think Veach would of shopped Jones by now if it was going to happen.  I just think Jones wants to be paid as a top 5 3-4 DE and Veach is not willing to do so until he sees how JOnes performers as a 4-3 DT.  Pretty simple

He will be fine I think as a 43 DT. We can play out this year and tag him the next 2 years even. He will be under our control for 3 years with whatever we decide and still cheaper. Again, looking at the link below the highest paid 43 DT is 17 million. Give him a deal around 16 or so but with better guaranteed money and all will be happy. As a player he could get say 45 million guaranteed and 105 million deal at 6 years and around 16 to 17 mil per year. Huge yes, guaranteed money though is not that bad and you can front load it for the first 4 to 5 years with the last year of him being around 30 by then as a team option? The longer we wait though the higher contracts go up too. Look at Fletchers 43 contract at the top of this link.

https://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-tackle/

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

He will be fine I think as a 43 DT. We can play out this year and tag him the next 2 years even. He will be under our control for 3 years with whatever we decide and still cheaper. Again, looking at the link below the highest paid 43 DT is 17 million. Give him a deal around 16 or so but with better guaranteed money and all will be happy. As a player he could get say 45 million guaranteed and 105 million deal at 6 years and around 16 to 17 mil per year. Huge yes, guaranteed money though is not that bad and you can front load it for the first 4 to 5 years with the last year of him being around 30 by then as a team option? The longer we wait though the higher contracts go up too. Look at Fletchers 43 contract at the top of this link.

https://overthecap.com/position/4-3-defensive-tackle/

Wrong chart

https://overthecap.com/position/interior-defensive-line/

You can bet they're looking at Aaron Donald's contract mixed in.

5 minutes ago, xen said:

Wrong chart

https://overthecap.com/position/interior-defensive-line/

You can bet they're looking at Aaron Donald's contract mixed in.

Still going to be a 43 DT. They can look at ADs chart but he is not AD at all. The one below him is Fletchers. Even if they go 18 million for say 5 years that is still 90 million, below what I said before but the guarantees of 45 million is key. Donald only got 50 mil guaranteed. I think that is by far fair.

57 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Still going to be a 43 DT. They can look at ADs chart but he is not AD at all. The one below him is Fletchers. Even if they go 18 million for say 5 years that is still 90 million, below what I said before but the guarantees of 45 million is key. Donald only got 50 mil guaranteed. I think that is by far fair.

I didn't say he is Donald.  I said you can bet they (meaning his agent) are looking at Donald's contract as part of the equation for what they're asking for.   Donald got 86m guaranteed.

35 minutes ago, xen said:

I didn't say he is Donald.  I said you can bet they (meaning his agent) are looking at Donald's contract as part of the equation for what they're asking for.   Donald got 86m guaranteed.

I know you did not say it, but was saying they can look at him all they want, he is is not AD. AD is a 34 too. I was looking at this off the site, forgot the signing bonus is in it too

• Fully Guaranteed Money: $50,000,000

With that maybe said they give him 65 to 70 mil guaranteed then or something like that. I saw my error with Fletcher Cox guaranteed at 63 from the site too

Every season we go through this scenario where some player vital to the Chiefs is going through contract talks and the end of the world is forecast.  Charles, Berry, Houston and many others drag out contract talks and the fans panic.  Veach, CJ's agent, and others involved know what they're doing and will get it done one way or another.  Then the season will start and all will be forgotten.  I see no difference here.  

11 hours ago, Shadow said:

We expect him to be a good DT but the truth is he never played the position. If he was here learning the new scheme and improving himself then I'm guessing the contract talks would go much smoother. Right now we don't know what to expect from him, what if he cannot play anything but 3-4 DE? Should we throw away 20 mil per year for that? 

20 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Yes and that is why we are seeing shorter contracts with more guaranteed money

your seeing this because of the structure of the collective bargaining agreement. It truly does not make sense for Jones to hold out  this year. but what do . I know. 

Archived