The Franchise, episode 2

8 hours ago, sith13 said:

Surprised to see us not pick a CB early with all the emphasis on the position. 

Once they traded off the first round pick and CBs started flying off the board early in the second, the Chiefs' hopes for an instant starter at that position went out the window.

CB is still a concern but I would argue they made the right decision.  With Ford not fitting the new scheme and Houston's insane contract, there's little chance a late 1st rd corner would mean more to our D than Frank Clark.  The only corner that really dropped was Murphy.  

5 hours ago, jetlord said:

Once they traded off the first round pick and CBs started flying off the board early in the second, the Chiefs' hopes for an instant starter at that position went out the window.

I'm guessing they thought someone would slip in 2nd just enough to trade up. However Veach has some really nice things to say about a few of these guys that I wouldn't mind having Houston for another year with one of these youngsters on the roster. Hopefully things work out with the current players at CB.

This just bums me out. Realizing what we all suspected. CB was their priority in rd 2 and we ended up not getting one until we picked Fenton. Really poor depth at this position, and if Ward regresses its a position that could be bad enough to ruin our season. 

I love Brett Veach, but he has done an absolutely horrific job adding premium talent to a position in which he traded a top 10 player away in Peters.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

This just bums me out. Realizing what we all suspected. CB was their priority in rd 2 and we ended up not getting one until we picked Fenton. Really poor depth at this position, and if Ward regresses its a position that could be bad enough to ruin our season. 

I love Brett Veach, but he has done an absolutely horrific job adding premium talent to a position in which he traded a top 10 player away in Peters.

Peters was not even a top 5 corner in his division last year.  At this point we can pretty confidently say we sold high.  

Yes we need to improve at corner but that said, Spags' scheme is not as reliant on top notch corner play as Werther's was.  Much easier to find good zone corners, even pattern match corners, than good press man corners.  

11 hours ago, xen said:

Peters was not even a top 5 corner in his division last year.  At this point we can pretty confidently say we sold high.  

Yes we need to improve at corner but that said, Spags' scheme is not as reliant on top notch corner play as Werther's was.  Much easier to find good zone corners, even pattern match corners, than good press man corners.  

He sucked last year, but that doesn't take away from the fact that he was playing at a very high level here, and we haven't found anyone close to being able to do that since he left.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived