NFL Network - interesting tidbit

Reading their "State of the Franchise" piece about the Ravens (they are doing every team- Chiefs will be along soon) and they threw out this as one of three key dates for the Ravens.

-- Week 3 at the Chiefs. A chance to avenge the lone regular-season loss of Jackson's career. It's also one of those key games for teams you expect to be jockeying for one of the top seeds in the AFC. You know, the team that will host the Patriots in the AFC Championship Game

On paper, it should be a good game, but it's hard to say right now. It always seems like things shake up different once the actual regular season starts. As a Chiefs fan, I hope it's not as big of deal as the NFL network is making it out to be, but who knows.  

It all depends on whether Jackson gets better and the Ravens defense remains the same, and the Chiefs defense gets better and Mahomes is just Mahomes. 

On 6/14/2019 at 10:55 AM, xen said:

Because nobody cares about the Ravens.

It was not so much about the Ravens but about the fact they think both teams are in the running for the AFC Title, if, you know, you actually read it.

On 6/15/2019 at 1:16 AM, azchief21 said:

I thank the football gods every day we don't have to look at a future with Jackson at QB. That experiment will not end well. #MVPat

Not sure why it has to come down to that. Your franchise has had some pretty decent QB's in the last few years.

On 6/15/2019 at 2:12 AM, qnet said:

On paper, it should be a good game, but it's hard to say right now. It always seems like things shake up different once the actual regular season starts. As a Chiefs fan, I hope it's not as big of deal as the NFL network is making it out to be, but who knows.  

It all depends on whether Jackson gets better and the Ravens defense remains the same, and the Chiefs defense gets better and Mahomes is just Mahomes. 

Thank you for actually reading the blurb.

Um it took a flipping miracle pass play from Mahomes to Tyreek on like 4th and 7 for the Chiefs to beat the Ravens last year. They are a playoff caliber team until the season starts and whatever happens then is unknown, injuries etc. you have to look at that week three game as a big one if both these teams are in playoff contention at the end of the season cause it could impact playoff seedings. 

3 hours ago, gochiefsgo said:

Um it took a flipping miracle pass play from Mahomes to Tyreek on like 4th and 7 for the Chiefs to beat the Ravens last year. They are a playoff caliber team until the season starts and whatever happens then is unknown, injuries etc. you have to look at that week three game as a big one if both these teams are in playoff contention at the end of the season cause it could impact playoff seedings. 

Dude read the sign.  Don't feed the animals.

5 hours ago, gochiefsgo said:

Chiefs dont need home field advantage to win it all. In fact: I think they are better off on the road during the playoffs. KC can win it all as a wild card if thats where they slot in.

On a serious note, how tough that game is will depend on Spags ability to get the run D up to snuff quickly.  I doubt the turnaround is that fast so I see this game as a slog; a who can impose their will type game.  If we let them play keep away and can't stop the run it will be an ugly game.  Then again if Patrick catches fire early and the Ravens are playing catch up, it will be a route.  Ravens definitely are not built to play that game.  Chiefs win at home either way.

16 hours ago, xen said:

On a serious note, how tough that game is will depend on Spags ability to get the run D up to snuff quickly.  I doubt the turnaround is that fast so I see this game as a slog; a who can impose their will type game.  If we let them play keep away and can't stop the run it will be an ugly game.  Then again if Patrick catches fire early and the Ravens are playing catch up, it will be a route.  Ravens definitely are not built to play that game.  Chiefs win at home either way.

New offense- not run heavy from LJ. Defense is faster and better. Offense is faster. It will be a different game than last year.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:51 AM, gochiefsgo said:

23 hours ago, xen said:

Dude read the sign.  Don't feed the animals.

56 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

New offense- not run heavy from LJ. Defense is faster and better. Offense is faster. It will be a different game than last year.

Well it better be run heavy cause they can't pass for shit.  Doubt they brought in Paul Johnson this offseason to consult on the passing game.

3 minutes ago, xen said:

Well it better be run heavy cause they can't pass for shit.  Doubt they brought in Paul Johnson this offseason to consult on the passing game.

LOL- yeah, thats a head scratcher....but remember a time when Andy/Marty Mornhingweg were criticized for not running it enough....

Also, LJ is working with a QB guru

Just now, Handswarmer said:

LOL- yeah, thats a head scratcher....but remember a time when Andy/Marty Mornhingweg were criticized for not running it enough....

Also, LJ is working with a QB guru

Typically your college stats are your NFL ceiling for most QBs. There's always a few outliers like Brady.  Maybe he's one of those.

Andy Reid was criticized for passing too much when he was at 60/40.  Turns out the critics were wrong and Andy was ahead of his time.  Advanced analytics has shown as that passing is simply more efficient than running it.  

When it comes to these guys at QB that run it all the time after one or two looks.. Don’t these guys usually get killed pretty quickly in the NFL? The shelf life of those guys is not long unless they change their games. Develop into more of a pocket passer. 

30 minutes ago, xen said:

Typically your college stats are your NFL ceiling for most QBs. There's always a few outliers like Brady.  Maybe he's one of those.

Andy Reid was criticized for passing too much when he was at 60/40.  Turns out the critics were wrong and Andy was ahead of his time.  Advanced analytics has shown as that passing is simply more efficient than running it.  

I don't need him to be Brees at 74%- I need him to be 65-68% which is about 2-3 more completions a game.

10 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

I don't need him to be Brees at 74%- I need him to be 65-68% which is about 2-3 more completions a game.

He could get there but I don't think it will have the overall effect you want it to until he learns to play the mid range passing game.  Short and long throws he can do, but drive sustainers and TDs happen in the intermediate passing game.  He sucks at that part.  If it was just about completion percentage, Chad Pennington would have been the man.  

Should have a better cast around him so maybe they can make hay with YAC until he figures it out.

3 minutes ago, xen said:

He could get there but I don't think it will have the overall effect you want it to until he learns to play the mid range passing game.  Short and long throws he can do, but drive sustainers and TDs happen in the intermediate passing game.  He sucks at that part.  If it was just about completion percentage, Chad Pennington would have been the man.  

Should have a better cast around him so maybe they can make hay with YAC until he figures it out.

Yep- biggest thing they did this offseason was build a new offense using new, simpler terminology. He admits to overthinking things last year because he couldn't remember how to say the play calls.

2 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Yep- biggest thing they did this offseason was build a new offense using new, simpler terminology. He admits to overthinking things last year because he couldn't remember how to say the play calls.

NFL is a different world.  It's not all ham and trophies like in college.   You got a good coach so he has a shot but man most guys just don't become better passers when they hit the pros.  And most running QBs crash and burn sooner or later.  I did like the kid in college though.  Maybe they can end up with a Russell Wilson light.

Archived