More Pressure for the Chiefs

On 6/13/2019 at 2:33 PM, kkuenn said:

Pffft, pressure was ther long before those teams won any ways. The 1990s we should have had one.

Yep...that's what I thought. Marty was going to bring the Lombardi to KC. Then I said it about Vermeil.....and now Andy. Always seems that there is a fatal flaw in each team that looks like a real contender. Last year it was a horrific defense that couldn't stop a turtle from crossing the road. And yet I feel like this could be the year...😨

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

Yep...that's what I thought. Marty was going to bring the Lombardi to KC. Then I said it about Vermeil.....and now Andy. Always seems that there is a fatal flaw in each team that looks like a real contender. Last year it was a horrific defense that couldn't stop a turtle from crossing the road. And yet I feel like this could be the year...😨

That certainly has been the case. The previous Marty & DV teams you mentioned, deep down; I never honesty thought they had a chance , but last year I did. Having a QB like Mahomes seems to elevate the whole team. 

I'd like to think that I don't take it as seriously as I did in the past,  but I still do a little obviously. 

I agree with what you guys said that while those teams were good enough to win one, it seemed their was a glaring weakness that required the stars to align for us to pull it off.   Last year felt different because we had a qb who routinely outplayed our own glaring weakness.   I don’t expect our D to be top 10 but just sneaking into the teens should be enough to win games even when Pat doesn’t have his best.   Really pumped for this year!

8 hours ago, qnet said:

That certainly has been the case. The previous Marty & DV teams you mentioned, deep down; I never honesty thought they had a chance , but last year I did. Having a QB like Mahomes seems to elevate the whole team. 

I'd like to think that I don't take it as seriously as I did in the past,  but I still do a little obviously. 

The Marty,Montana,Marcus Allen, DT, Neil Smith etc etc I did.. that team was stacked and from top to bottom  my fav Chiefs team 2nd only to the 69 Chiefs.. Certainly thought we had a sluggers chance.. The DV teams  not so much, I loathed GRob and his D even more than Sutton's

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

The Marty,Montana,Marcus Allen, DT, Neil Smith etc etc I did.. that team was stacked and from top to bottom  my fav Chiefs team 2nd only to the 69 Chiefs.. Certainly thought we had a sluggers chance.. The DV teams  not so much, I loathed GRob and his D even more than Sutton's

I would have thought that if it weren't for the 90's Cowboys. When I got into the Chiefs heavily, it was on the tail end of the Montana era. I watched them beat the Oilers and advance to the AFC championship. I got out of the military in 91 and saw the Cowboys first hand.  I lived in Oklahoma with my grandparents while going to tech school. My granddad was a Cowboy fan and they showed them a lot on TV.  

The Cowboys were a powerhouse and looked unstoppable at times. Having said that, I agree with you when you say that Chiefs team would have had a sluggers chance. I think they would have matched up better against them than the Bills did. If they just could have got past the Bills. 

Thinking about it now, the 97 team was the one that I thought could win it all. Unfortunately the Broncos were better. 

I agree about Grob's defense. It may not have been statistically as bad as Sutton's defense, but it sure looked much much worse IMO. 

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

That D (GRob's) was the biggest collection of bums I've ever seen.

Chiefs should have won in 1995 considering they couldn't lose at Arrowhead and had the best record in the league.  But then they had Bono and the name never to be mentioned and couldn't score a single point in the second half in front of a packed and frozen crowd. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Chiefs should have won in 1995 considering they couldn't lose at Arrowhead and had the best record in the league.  But then they had Bono and the name never to be mentioned and couldn't score a single point in the second half in front of a packed and frozen crowd. 

For some unbelievable reason Marty gave Paul Hackett the green light to throw the ball all over the field and the result was three huge INTs.  The one game he needed to stay conservative and he blows it. He put that season in the hands of two struggling players instead of leaning on HOF RB and lethal defense. That games on him IMO.

38 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

For some unbelievable reason Marty gave Paul Hackett the green light to throw the ball all over the field and the result was three huge INTs.  The one game he needed to stay conservative and he blows it. He put that season in the hands of two struggling players instead of leaning on HOF RB and lethal defense. That games on him IMO.

Still haven't thawed out.  

5 minutes ago, wilkie said:

It was really cold that day but now many fgs can one guy miss?

Wouldn't have mattered had Marty just kept the ball on the ground and let the Hall of Famer carry us to the AFC Title game. Instead Bono throws three picks which were even more costly than the FGs. 

4 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Wouldn't have mattered had Marty just kept the ball on the ground and let the Hall of Famer carry us to the AFC Title game. Instead Bono throws three picks which were even more costly than the FGs. 

I sense a theme of 3's going on here...... not a lucky number any more just like the initials LE

I wonder how that Cowboys team would have been remembered if the 95 Chiefs paid them back, and defeated them in the SB that season. Would they be looked at as a dynasty? The Chiefs history  would have been different also.   

I said that, cuz I attended the AFC championship game, and sometime during pre-game they brought in two native americans and they blessed the field, talking in their native language.. There was a drunk dude behind us that yelled out "YEAH! That translates to sack his ass!!" 

Chiefs ended with zero sacks that game. Lol. was off-putting and put a nervous vibe in the stadium. Hope next time they just let Mahomes do the magic..

Archived