James Williams cut

So much for Johnson and Williams being great UDFA pickups. Gotta be careful believing the OTA hype. 

Matt Derrick @mattderrick

FollowingFollowing @mattderrick
More

Chiefs have waived LB Gary Johnson, T Justin Senor and RB James Williams, per the NFL transaction report. Club also signed TE Neal Sterling, who was released by the Jets this week. Sterling spent time on the Chiefs practice squad in 2017.

might be my age  but I dont recall any one  touting the greatness of either..his best chance was sT and he really didn't fit  in that role just by size alone

Johnson maybe a bit more surprising being he is ST material..nothing says they wont be Back  on down the line if an injury happens

1 minute ago, sith13 said:

Really surprised at Johnson. LB was a big question mark so I expected them to keep as many guys as possible until the final cuts but I'm guessing they are sort of happy with what we have.

at only 220 kinda light in the pants for a LB..seems to me his 4;43 speed was good..a tweener that just couldn't find a home maybe?

Just now, oldtimer said:

at only 220 kinda light in the pants for a LB..seems to me his 4;43 speed was good..a tweener that just couldn't find a home maybe?

Could be, relatively short and light but the reports were nothing but good news about him up to now especially with that speed playing outside. Surprised to see him leave so early but I guess TE is a much bigger concern now. 

22 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

might be my age  but I dont recall any one  touting the greatness of either..his best chance was sT and he really didn't fit  in that role just by size alone

Johnson maybe a bit more surprising being he is ST material..nothing says they wont be Back  on down the line if an injury happens

Greatness was definitely an exaggeration. The Johnson deal I got into a Twitter debate with someone over who claimed the guy was going to be a starter. Williams was named by numerous people on the board as a guy who would make the roster over Hyde. In any case it is a bit odd we released three but only signed one. Why release those two?

20 minutes ago, Mloe68 said:

Greatness was definitely an exaggeration. The Johnson deal I got into a Twitter debate with someone over who claimed the guy was going to be a starter. Williams was named by numerous people on the board as a guy who would make the roster over Hyde. In any case it is a bit odd we released three but only signed one. Why release those two?

I'd wager we'll know more tomorrow..but then I'm not a bettn man

8 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Would have been hard for Gary to beat out DOD and Lee, but I always like seeing Udfas pan out.  Was dead wrong about James Williams, thought he would have been perfect for our team.  

Just tells me they like Carlos Hyde more than was speculated.  No room for him if that's the case.  Also may indicate they plan to keep the ivy league qb as an h-back which would put him in the RB room.  I thought Williams had a shot too.  Guess not.

Signed 2.  Veach churning bottom of roster.

Brett Veach decided to add two players that the team is familiar with. They inked Northwest Missouri State RB Josh Caldwell and Kansas State OG Abdul Beecham. Both players participated in the Chiefs’ local pro day, rookie minicamp and most recently mandatory minicamp on a tryout basis.

16 minutes ago, xen said:

Just tells me they like Carlos Hyde more than was speculated.  No room for him if that's the case.  Also may indicate they plan to keep the ivy league qb as an h-back which would put him in the RB room.  I thought Williams had a shot too.  Guess not.

Good point on Verret? Think that’s his name. I did see comments from Hyde about how much he loved this offense because it gives RBs so much responsibility. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

Signed 2.  Veach churning bottom of roster.

Brett Veach decided to add two players that the team is familiar with. They inked Northwest Missouri State RB Josh Caldwell and Kansas State OG Abdul Beecham. Both players participated in the Chiefs’ local pro day, rookie minicamp and most recently mandatory minicamp on a tryout basis.

Dropping one RB to pick up another can only mean they didn't like the first.  Maybe he had an attitude, was lazy, had flaws, etc., but Williams sure didn't measure up in the eyes of the coaches. 

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Dropping one RB to pick up another can only mean they didn't like the first.  Maybe he had an attitude, was lazy, had flaws, etc., but Williams sure didn't measure up in the eyes of the coaches. 

If anything it was Toub and what he liked for ST players.

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

If you know they are not gonna make the Chiefs, then releasing them early gives them the best possible chance to get picked up elsewhere.  Not saying that's for sure the case, but it sometimes is. 

Andy does say that alot. RIght thing to do.  Zen just pointed out we ended up signing two local products who were basically trying out during this weeks mini camps. All kind of adds up now. 

15 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

If anything it was Toub and what he liked for ST players.

I think Toub gets at least 2-3 roster spots of his choice. D Anthony Thomas was the guy he probably was "saving' the past few years. He loved that kid. 

Archived