Chiefs Defense - over-under

3 minutes ago, DieHard said:

What’s your guy say? Yards is the NFLs measuring stick I guess.

I am saying #8 against the run and #23 against the pass.

#19 overall.

Yards is a bad thermometer imo. I like ppg as it is the job to not letting the offense score. With that I so think we finish 14-16th in yards total. We have to get it together the first few games and really start to hit the stride later. Run will be much improved and so will pass. 10th run, 18th pass.

26 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Yards is a bad thermometer imo. I like ppg as it is the job to not letting the offense score. With that I so think we finish 14-16th in yards total. We have to get it together the first few games and really start to hit the stride later. Run will be much improved and so will pass. 10th run, 18th pass.

Stopping the other team from scoring is #1, but that stat is not perfect because a high scoring team like the Chiefs allows the other team more possessions.  That being said, I'd predict the Chiefs to finish about 16-20 in scoring defense. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Stopping the other team from scoring is #1, but that stat is not perfect because a high scoring team like the Chiefs allows the other team more possessions.  That being said, I'd predict the Chiefs to finish about 16-20 in scoring defense

I'd be ok with that. What you said made me think of something. When Alex Smith played for the Chiefs early on, the Chiefs defense played pretty solid. The offense was  low-risk dink & dunk. I've wondered if this type of offense actually helps the defense vs. a high octane one like they had last season with Mahomes. 

Unless the offense takes a step back we will be giving out a lot of yards on the ground and in the air as we'll focus more on stopping the score. I'm expecting something in 20s in both the run and the pass but we'll probably see vast improvement from last year's team. 

8 hours ago, qnet said:

I'd be ok with that. What you said made me think of something. When Alex Smith played for the Chiefs early on, the Chiefs defense played pretty solid. The offense was  low-risk dink & dunk. I've wondered if this type of offense actually helps the defense vs. a high octane one like they had last season with Mahomes. 

If we had that type of defense, they would have had more stops imo. Imagine instead of Smith having success that year if you had Mahomes as we flip it to that scenario. I think the team wins more playoff games for sure, more regular season games too. Those teams were in the top 10 four times for scoring defense. Last year ours was what? 24-26 range? Huge difference because they also led or were close to the lead in takeaways too a lot of those times. More opportunities for Mahomes then to score more and really get it out of range then score wise.

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

Unless the offense takes a step back we will be giving out a lot of yards on the ground and in the air as we'll focus more on stopping the score. I'm expecting something in 20s in both the run and the pass but we'll probably see vast improvement from last year's team. 

If the defense is improved.......I predict Reid slows this offense down a little. Longer drives when its applicable. Get up 14 and slow things down. 27- 24 wins are ok too.

2 minutes ago, FANATIC said:

If the defense is improved.......I predict Reid slows this offense down a little. Longer drives when its applicable. Get up 14 and slow things down. 27- 24 wins are ok too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the offense slow things down but I'm pretty sure Reid will want to be up by two scores all the time, this defense is still a work in progress so a nice cushion would definitely help. 

I think it would be very helpful if we can keep the defense on the sidelines from time to time, didn't have that last year. 

3 minutes ago, sith13 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the offense slow things down but I'm pretty sure Reid will want to be up by two scores all the time, this defense is still a work in progress so a nice cushion would definitely help. 

I think it would be very helpful if we can keep the defense on the sidelines from time to time, didn't have that last year. 

Yep. Reid knows Mahommes can score from anywhere when needed. Changes the strategy  & gameplanning.

4 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

🤣 We don't even know what the roster will look like in June! 🤣

We don’t? I think it is relatively straightforward. Most likely:

Okafor, Nnadi, Jones, Clark

CB and S are pretty well set.

LB is going to be interesting but I think Hitch starts as the base Will and nickel Mike. If Rags can’t step up, Hitch might move inside and Lee gets s shot at Will. I mean DOD or Niemann could come out of nowhere or an injury or a FA pickup, but basically we know what this defense is going to look Ike.

5 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

🤣 We don't even know what the roster will look like in June! 🤣

We know the line and the safeties, two of the three CBs, and probably the three LBs in the base defense.  That's pretty settled for this early.  I think the Chiefs will add a CB some time before the season but that's about it. 

17 hours ago, xen said:

Defensive DVOA will give you a better idea of how they're doing.  26th overall last year.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

I say exactly middle of the pack (16th or 17th) in DVOA.  I don't believe the defense will all of a sudden be great but I think we're absolutely better.

• Clark + Okafor > Ford + Houston
  • Honey Badger >>> the threat of Eric Berry maybe overcoming his equinophobia and actually taking the field
  • Many of our recent acquisitions (draft or FA) in a 4-3 > those same dudes in a 3-4
  • Spags >>>>> Sutton on attitude alone if nothing else, but probably on scheme too
  • A full season of Ward with experience > Scandrick
  • Breeland > Nelson (maybe, I'm the least confident about this statement)
  • Thornhill > whoever

I absolutely believe we'll be better on defense.  The only question for me on whether we'll be better as a team is how much the offense will regress (I think Pat will be better even if he doesn't put up better numbers, Hill is an issue) and injury luck.

37 minutes ago, wilkie said:

New DC,  50 percent of defense is new, never played together before.   22 is about right.. Maybe generous

Well with how you predict and the way we actually do......then we will finish around 12-15th lol

1 hour ago, wilkie said:

New DC,  50 percent of defense is new, never played together before.   22 is about right.. Maybe generous

NFL history is littered with examples of units and whole teams that changed their identity and made big strides or regressed significantly from year to year.  An injection of new players and new coaches is usually part of a unit turning it around.  I would say that this used to be easier to do on defense, because attitude and effort are so important on defense---talent and scheme are still important, but you can "fake it" on defense better than offense.  The counterpoint would be that with practice restrictions, offenses tend to be ahead of defenses early in the year, before the defenses catch up later in the year---it's only two data points, but just look at the 54-51 game in mid-November leading up to a 13-3 Super Bowl.  My understanding is that was reflective of overall league trends.

TL;DR new coaches, new personnel, and a new attitude will be more positive than negative IMO and a big jump, if not guaranteed, is certainly plausible.

3 minutes ago, West said:

I am enthusiastic.

Is there any team on the schedule that the Chiefs will not put up 30 on?

w

As of now the toughest to do it against could be Bears, Vikings, Chargers (they did hold us to 28 in loss) Ravens (who we have to see with their losses/gains on defense) and Houston, who has a pretty good D too.

4 hours ago, wilkie said:

It's a better DC and 50 percent of the defense has been upgraded.

Archived