How much does an MVP QB really mean?

14 hours ago, reesebobby said:

It's stupid that people think that matters.  Or the curse of the Babe.  The next 10 MVP's might win the Super Bowl.  A quarterback playing well enough to win the MVP is not harmful to the teams chances of winning a Super Bowl.  And the fact that Brady, Manning and Rodgers have a bunch of MVP's and a bunch of Super Bowl wins that don't always coincide season to season is possibly the least relevant thing ever discussed. 

Which tells me that its more important to have a successful team than individual accolades, thereby rendering all the "We have MVPat, we're gonna win the SB!" talk irrelevant as well.

9 hours ago, Handswarmer said:

Which tells me that its more important to have a successful team than individual accolades, thereby rendering all the "We have MVPat, we're gonna win the SB!" talk irrelevant as well.

I think it's safe to say if Lamar Jackson was the chiefs qb, and without last year's Ravens defense we chief fans most likely wouldn't even be talking playoffs.

1 hour ago, Troyofoc said:

I think it's safe to say if Lamar Jackson was the chiefs qb, and without last year's Ravens defense we chief fans most likely wouldn't even be talking playoffs.

Agree......Super Bowl Bound with Mr You Know Man Jackson ......... thats so funny 😂

I understand the point of the thread, but understand were Handswarmer is coming from also.  If the Chiefs defense doesn't improve and a team does just enough to slow down Mahomes, the Chiefs still may not make it to the SB, let alone win it. In the AFCC,  Mahomes outplayed Brady overall but, the Patriots running game, which the Chiefs defense couldn't stop; and a few very good plays by Brady & his receivers were enough for them to win. 

On 6/21/2019 at 11:38 PM, qnet said:

I understand the point of the thread, but understand were Handswarmer is coming from also.  If the Chiefs defense doesn't improve and a team does just enough to slow down Mahomes, the Chiefs still may not make it to the SB, let alone win it. In the AFCC,  Mahomes outplayed Brady overall but, the Patriots running game, which the Chiefs defense couldn't stop; and a few very good plays by Brady & his receivers were enough for them to win. 

Bingo

On 6/21/2019 at 8:38 PM, qnet said:

Sure... But in reality.... Hands in Pants is coming from is Trolling Negativity on a Chiefs Board. Thats it. Stirring up S**T. 

1 minute ago, FANATIC said:

Sure... But in reality.... Hands in Pants is coming from is Trolling Negativity on a Chiefs Board. Thats it. Stirring up S**T. 

I dont see him stirring it up at all. Just giving counter points and thoughts? To each his own I guess.

On 6/21/2019 at 10:38 PM, qnet said:

This isn't wrong but my counterpoint would be that we had a bottom-of-the-league defense and still ended regulation of the AFCCG with a chance to go to the Super Bowl.  That's how far Patrick took us.  If you have a top-of-the-league QB you could put trash around him and you'll be middling at worst.  Put something halfway decent around him and you'll compete.

Just now, Adamixoye said:

This isn't wrong but my counterpoint would be that we had a bottom-of-the-league defense and still ended regulation of the AFCCG with a chance to go to the Super Bowl.  That's how far Patrick took us.  If you have a top-of-the-league QB you could put trash around him and you'll be middling at worst.  Put something halfway decent around him and you'll compete.

See the GB Packers as a model of this.

1 minute ago, kkuenn said:

Insofar as many people would agree they haven't done a very good job of building around Rodgers, and yet they still managed to get one SB and be competitive in most other years.

I happen to think Rodgers is a touch overrated but the point still stands.

1 hour ago, Adamixoye said:

Mahomes didn't do it on his own.  The Chiefs had top players around him on offense.  Hill, Kelce, Watkins, Schwartz, and Hunt were elite at their positions. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Mahomes didn't do it on his own.  The Chiefs had top players around him on offense.  Hill, Kelce, Watkins, Schwartz, and Hunt were elite at their positions. 

Well, I'm not saying he did it on his own, they definitely had talent on offense.  But the line as a whole was not the best, and you mention two players who missed significant time in Hunt and Watkins.

Without Mahomes I would say the 2018 team was maybe a C/C- overall (not just talent, but factoring in how a defense with at least a little talent underperformed in Sutton's schemes).  Add Mahomes and you're competitive in the AFCCG.

14 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

Well, I'm not saying he did it on his own, they definitely had talent on offense.  But the line as a whole was not the best, and you mention two players who missed significant time in Hunt and Watkins.

Without Mahomes I would say the 2018 team was maybe a C/C- overall (not just talent, but factoring in how a defense with at least a little talent underperformed in Sutton's schemes).  Add Mahomes and you're competitive in the AFCCG.

Dont forget time missed on the line too with LG, C and RG all seeing time missed. That hurts an offense a lot for continuity etc.

19 hours ago, FANATIC said:

Hearye, hearye.... the Home Troll has spoken

19 hours ago, kkuenn said:

I dont see him stirring it up at all. Just giving counter points and thoughts? To each his own I guess.

Pretty much

19 hours ago, Adamixoye said:

Thats the point- TEAMs have success. Manning all those years had a trash defense and Oline. Little running game but great WR's and TE. Rodgers the same.

19 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Word up.

29 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Thats the point- TEAMs have success. Manning all those years had a trash defense and Oline. Little running game but great WR's and TE. Rodgers the same.

No one would say that you don't need a team.  But your chances of building a winner are better with a good-to-great QB with some weaknesses around him vs. a good-to-great team surrounding an average-to-weak QB.  Over the last 25 years there are examples of both but looking at Super Bowl participants there are more of the former than the latter by far.

35 minutes ago, Adamixoye said:

No one would say that you don't need a team.  But your chances of building a winner are better with a good-to-great QB with some weaknesses around him vs. a good-to-great team surrounding an average-to-weak QB.  Over the last 25 years there are examples of both but looking at Super Bowl participants there are more of the former than the latter by far.

Let me elaborate- if Manning, Rodgers, Brees, etc would have had better teams around them, they would have won more SB's.

I am not discounting Mahomes and his ability- he is a freakishly good QB. If he keeps performing he will be great.

My stance is that teams win- even the great ones need a team to win. Both sides of the ball. Very few teams can win by being great on one side and not on the other. The 00 Ravens and 03 Bucs come to mind

23 minutes ago, Handswarmer said:

Let me elaborate- if Manning, Rodgers, Brees, etc would have had better teams around them, they would have won more SB's.

I am not discounting Mahomes and his ability- he is a freakishly good QB. If he keeps performing he will be great.

My stance is that teams win- even the great ones need a team to win. Both sides of the ball. Very few teams can win by being great on one side and not on the other. The 00 Ravens and 03 Bucs come to mind

Manning won because Sanders came back and their horrible defense finally played lights out. He did good though in the playoffs if I remember correctly all but one game on that run. Still the defense kept them well ahead. His 2nd win with Denver was all Denver defense. Manning was even benched that year and was a shell of a QB during their run for the SB. Hell their first SB appearance for Denver with Manning they had all the pieces on defense there and he was MVP with the best offense and he still did squat in that game.

Rodgers problem is he creates his own problems by undercutting others like his coaches. Already there were reports he is not happy, wants to have ability to call any plays etc. Now they have tried, many times, to draft heavy on defense but again, it seems to be self induced at many levels on that team.

Brees gets screwed by refs during key games in the playoffs. Nothing he can or the team can do about that.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Brees gets screwed by refs during key games in the playoffs. Nothing he can or the team can do about that.

I was talking about prior to 2018. That was a horrible call but in the end, they didn't do enough earlier in the game to get to where they needed to be.

Archived