Will the Chiefs Offense remain as explosive in 2019?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard for me to read the article when they put the loss of Hunt in the title. We have already seen the effect of "loss of Hunt". Williams increased the yards per carry and the production in the passing game at the position. I don't think that Williams is the player Hunt is, but he was definitely slightly more productive. Plus he is a little bigger.

We are fine without Hunt. And we don't even no how long Hill will be out. They should be questioning no backup TE and loss of Conley more than a guy that wasn't missed and a guy that might not miss much time.

I don't really see where the drop off talk comes from.  QBs, not named Dak, improve in their second year starting. Watkins seems to be more comfortable, Pringle is back, Mehome in the house, Thompson has promise, Diet, Drob and Kemp have more experience. We are better at RB than last year as far as depth.  Lots of talented guys battling it out at RB.

On defense, we could conceivably take a step back with new system and all the new players, but I seriously doubt it. We were 24th in the league in points per game and I have that number gong to 19th. But it is a crap shoot on how the pieces will fit to together.

Article did not show how we did without Hunt really because Williams played lights out with 10 TDs over 6 games, he was on pace for 24 or so TD season if he played from the get go. How we did even without Watkins too plus the health of our O line at times etc. I think we are even better this year, even upside with high potential on draft picks, then we were last year. Reid knows what he has and what he can do with it. Hill will play, when is to be determined but when he does, we will be even better. Pretty much this just regurgitated what many of us have been saying here, even as far back when Hunt was suspended and we had no Watkins due to injury.

It generates discussion and that's cool, but it's the same questions everyone outside of KC has been asking. It's similar to when I've read or hear pundits talk about the loss of Berry and Houston hurting the team. Berry played in less of a handful of games in two seasons, and Houston wasn't the dominant force he was in the past (although he was still good). 

I think the offense may drop off some, but not sure by how much. Mahomes is the X factor and I think he's better than a lot want to believe (outside of KC).  

Offense will be much better. Reid and Mahomes got the experience now to only excel and go after the championship. 

No more Conley meaning no more blocking WR.

Watkins, Hill, Kelce, Hardman all to receive while D.Rob and Pringle step it up from the backend of things. 

Reid loves his running backs who can catch. Williams is his man, who had 5 receptions for 66 yards and 2 TD's in that AFC champ game (often overlooked)

Will be a great year on offense, for the defense couldn't get any worse than last year. They cleaned the house. 

At work so didn't read article yet...But I'd say no but only because I'm expecting our D to be much much improved thus the need for Pat to do "Pat things" will diminish slightly and therefore the overall explosiveness of the O will go down.

BUT the ability will stay the same if not go higher when needed.

We were 4-3 however without Hunt as we simply didn't have that extra power dynamic to the running game. Flat cost us the Chargers game without almost any doubt. It took Andy a few weeks to figure out what he had in Williams and he exploited his talent as a receiver out of the backfield, but I think opponents will adjust to that which makes our other RBs more important in my opinion. All that said can you imagine an offense with the speed outside Tyreek and Hardeman bring as well as a dominate tight end owning the seams and another year of seasoning for the MVP. 

Because I think the defense will end up being better, the offense won't need to be as productive overall. But I think when it has to be after Hill's likely suspension, it will be. DVOA shows it was one of the best offenses in NFL history. 

No one can predict.  The NFL is a game of attrition and injuries.  Anyone can get hurt.  There is no established backup for Kelce.   Mahomes could sprain an ankle and be gone for 4 weeks.  It takes good fortune, gentlemen.  All else being equal, I think back and remember an amazing offense that  had to be amazing, because the defense couldn't stop anyone.  It made me feel bipolar.  Give me a team with a balanced offense, a great QB, a defense that can get 3-4 stops per game, and has key players who don't beat up their girlfriends or wives.

4 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

No one can predict.  The NFL is a game of attrition and injuries.  Anyone can get hurt.  There is no established backup for Kelce.   Mahomes could sprain an ankle and be gone for 4 weeks.  It takes good fortune, gentlemen.  All else being equal, I think back and remember an amazing offense that  had to be amazing, because the defense couldn't stop anyone.  It made me feel bipolar.  Give me a team with a balanced offense, a great QB, a defense that can get 3-4 stops per game, and has key players who don't beat up their girlfriends or wives.

The D had better get more than 3-4 stops/game.  That would still be giving up tons of points. 

17 minutes ago, jetlord said:

The D had better get more than 3-4 stops/game.  That would still be giving up tons of points. 

26.3 ppg last year. If they stop 3 to 4 times it puts them near the top even if those 3 to 4 times results in FG not being made. Heck if we stop them for 10 ppg less it gives us #1 in ppg allowed for a defense, no idea how it would affect total yards allowed though.

As long as Andy Reid is coaching and Pat Mahomes is the quarterback I think the Chiefs will be a dangerous team. It's not like the cupboard is bare. We know what we have in Kelce. Stud. Watkins has the talent to be a top 5 receiver in the league it's just his body has betrayed him too many times. If we can somehow get a full year out of him his numbers will reflect that Top tier status. Damien Williams averaged 5.1 yards a carry last year. Who wouldn't take that? For some strange reason I feel the Oline is going to be even better as a unit than last year. Add in guys like Hardman, Pringle and Robinson (one of those guys is going to have a break out year) and it gets interesting. Then on top of that I believe Tyreek Hill will play this year. He is the single most explosive player in the game. Offense will be fine...and fun to watch once again.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

26.3 ppg last year. If they stop 3 to 4 times it puts them near the top even if those 3 to 4 times results in FG not being made. Heck if we stop them for 10 ppg less it gives us #1 in ppg allowed for a defense, no idea how it would affect total yards allowed though.

Yep.  And those 3-4 stops will give our offense the ball back that many times.  Two to three 3-and-outs would probably be enough to put us in contention, even if the offense drops off a bit.  I don't recall many games last season where we got more than a couple of 3-and-outs.

1 hour ago, dhitter said:

As long as Andy Reid is coaching and Pat Mahomes is the quarterback I think the Chiefs will be a dangerous team. It's not like the cupboard is bare. We know what we have in Kelce. Stud. Watkins has the talent to be a top 5 receiver in the league it's just his body has betrayed him too many times. If we can somehow get a full year out of him his numbers will reflect that Top tier status. Damien Williams averaged 5.1 yards a carry last year. Who wouldn't take that? For some strange reason I feel the Oline is going to be even better as a unit than last year. Add in guys like Hardman, Pringle and Robinson (one of those guys is going to have a break out year) and it gets interesting. Then on top of that I believe Tyreek Hill will play this year. He is the single most explosive player in the game. Offense will be fine...and fun to watch once again.

Right you are. Everyone talks about personnel changes but forgets the advantage of having an offensive genius like Reid at the helm and also the best QB in football with another year of experience and training under his belt. Even without the flashy stats, he is going to be an even better QB. Its really simple.  He just plain sees the field, reads his progressions, improvises, misdirects defenders with his eyes, and threads the ball through tight openings better than anyone else.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Maybe my numbers are off, but I assumed a team gets an average of 11-12 possessions per game.  Five stops and six scores still could result in 30 points if half were TDs and half FGs.  Sure, 30 would win most games with the Chiefs offense in gear, but I think the defense needs more than 3-4 stops to win consistently.   

55 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Maybe my numbers are off, but I assumed a team gets an average of 11-12 possessions per game.  Five stops and six scores still could result in 30 points if half were TDs and half FGs.  Sure, 30 would win most games with the Chiefs offense in gear, but I think the defense needs more than 3-4 stops to win consistently.   

My thought was he is saying 3 to 4 stops more per game than we had last year. 3 or 4 stops only per game is what we saw from them last year. Now add 3 or 4 more and you are looking at 6 to 8 stops per game etc.

26 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

My thought was he is saying 3 to 4 stops more per game than we had last year. 3 or 4 stops only per game is what we saw from them last year. Now add 3 or 4 more and you are looking at 6 to 8 stops per game etc.

That's right. Even two more. The few we lost weren't by that much.

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Hey, not my fault that he left out the word "more".  Gotta be clear for us dummies. 

Explosive is such a subjective term?   I mean we could be more explosive and Pat might not have to make so many insane  scrambling plays.  We were 4-3 without Hunt but that was also mid season and he was a key component on O, you can’t just fix that mid season and yet we were still very potent and that doesn’t factor in a banged up Oline and Watkins injury.   I think a better Mahomes an added weapon in Hardman, healthy Oline, and an offseason to to build a dynamic O around our personal could totally mean a more explosive O.

9 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Explosive is such a subjective term?   I mean we could be more explosive and Pat might not have to make so many insane  scrambling plays.  We were 4-3 without Hunt but that was also mid season and he was a key component on O, you can’t just fix that mid season and yet we were still very potent and that doesn’t factor in a banged up Oline and Watkins injury.   I think a better Mahomes an added weapon in Hardman, healthy Oline, and an offseason to to build a dynamic O around our personal could totally mean a more explosive O.

Unitl our first major injury. 

Then, we need to be able to control the ball longer and have a better D.  Anyway, I would reserve the term, "explosive" for the long passes. Do that  just often enough to keep the defenses honest and widen up some running lanes.

We observed Reid coaching the hell out of Mahomes last season. There weren't very many deep ball calls for Mahomes last season. I think Reid was working to get his short and medium range game experience and practice. His deep ball might be already professional and deadly, I'm looking forward to it this season, especially with Tyreek sprinting those routes. 

Archived